Previous   Next

What did you name your dog and why?

Browse the archives

“Mr. Alexander Hamilton the Great—after the two famous Alexanders.”

“Pearl because that was my mom’s name and I got her shortly after she died”

“Bingley. My daughter named him after Mr. Bingley from ‘Pride and Prejudice.’”

“Peanut—I found her on the side of the road when she was 6 or 7 weeks old and she was small enough to be a Peanut.”

Comments

pace 2 years, 11 months ago

We named him Gypsy, because he was.

tailg8prty 2 years, 11 months ago

Deuce. We got him on our second anniversary. He unfortunately passed away at 8 and our new dog is named Fletch. Chevy Chase is hilarious and gets such a bad rap.

riverdrifter 2 years, 11 months ago

Cullo was the name of a long-gone Gordon setter. Named after Culloden Moor, a battlefield in Scotland. Long story. Chaka, a lab, is buried at the confluence of the north fork and the sourth forks of the Walnut rivers in Ness county. The rest will remain with me. Tough to think of them all, these gun dogs I've had in my life.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 11 months ago

I had a black cocker spaniel that I named Patrick Shaun O'Hara. We lived on a farm and every evening he would round the chickens up and get them into the coop and then sit guard until someone locked the door. He was totally lovable.

Happyfeet1971 2 years, 11 months ago

Our two brother and sister chihuahua's were named: Hannibal and Clarice.

workinghard 2 years, 11 months ago

Well this was my chuckle for the day. Someone on craigslist caught a rat in a live trap downtown and now wants to "find a place for him". He is giving it away free, what a deal, but you must bring your own cage to put it in. http://lawrence.craigslist.org/zip/3073199651.html You could name him Craig.

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

We named her Lucy because we had visions of putting a fake beak on her for Halloween & calling her Luce as a goose.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 11 months ago

Had three dogs. One was named Lightening because he was the fastest. One was named Einstein because he was the smartest. One was named Liberace because he was the pianist. (from a source)

number3of5 2 years, 11 months ago

We have had many dogs over the years, first was prince and lucky, second chief and squaw, then laddie a collie mix, big enough a giant black lab, and Mr. Butch 20th a beagle. Next was another Prince that one of our daughters raised from a week old, he was a special member of the family. Then we got Thor, a St Bernard mix, so named because of the thunder he made when he ran. Then we got Grizzly Bear, a St Labranard the second of our gentle giantsand a lab mix named Napoleon, whom we called Leo. These all belonged to our children. When my husband got the dog of his dreams, a reverse brindle English Mastiff, we named him Bigfoot, because his feet were so big. He is gone now and we have two English Mastiff/Anatolian Shepard crosses named Kodiak and Grizzly because they looked like little bears when we got them.

tomatogrower 2 years, 11 months ago

My sister named our childhood dog "Jingles" after a sidekick of a western TV show, because he was so chubby his belly rubbed the ground. I was really young and now I can't remember the name of the Western. Does anyone remember? Jingles was a sidekick, kind of comic relief. This was in the early 60's, maybe the '50's.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 11 months ago

Jingles was the sidekick of Wild Bill Hickcock. He was played by Andy Devine and Guy Madison played Will Bill. I never missed an episode. I think all the shows were westerns back then. That would make a great on the street question for older folks, what was your favorite western and why.

tomatogrower 2 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for the information. It's all coming back to me now.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Ya beat me to it! My favorite was Have Gun, Will Travel.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 11 months ago

Paladin was a much more complex character than the other westerns had. He handed out cards with the chess piece on them. He was a gun for hire.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

I think it was Andy Devine's character on the Wild Bill Hickok show in the early '50's. I was about 5 at the time so it's kinda hazy . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Dumb bitch. (affectionately)

But that ain't my password. (affectionately ain't my password either.)

Richard Crank 2 years, 11 months ago

I got this from the International Movie Database (www.imdb.com):

Adventures of Wild Bill Hickok (1951–1958) Guy Madison played Hickock and Andy Devine played Deputy Marshal Jingles P. Jones

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Damn solar flares already causing all the gadgets to act up. I'm outa here.

Charles L Bloss Jr 2 years, 11 months ago

Gunsmoke, the best western ever made, it ran for 20 years. Our dog was named when we adopted her, we kept her name.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 11 months ago

How about the western that had Steve McQueen as a bounty hunter and he carried some sort of huge weapon in a holster.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 11 months ago

Another vote for Have Gun, Will Travel. Richard Boone had been a gunner on an Avenger torpedo bomber during WW II. He was also the coolest dude on TV in the early 60s, IMHO.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

I always thought Tom Selleck was a Richard Boone wannabe.

openminded 2 years, 11 months ago

English mastiff is Tiny Jayhawk. American Mastiff is Crimson N'Blue. Why? cuz Jayhawks are awesome and my next one will be Rock Chalk (Rocky)!

beatrice 2 years, 11 months ago

My dog had no legs, so I never bothered to name him. I mean, it isn't like he would come when I called him.

(sorry, terrible joke. What do you expect from a cat person?)

Randall Barnes 2 years, 11 months ago

Bill Lee 2 years, 11 months ago

I've never had a dog, but I named my cat Amanda Blake after a character on Gunsmoke. Do you remember Miss Kitty?

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 11 months ago

Sure I do, she owned the Long Branch saloon and was Marshall Dillion's bff.

kumezzo 2 years, 11 months ago

Biggie Smalls...... he's afraid of cars that drive slow through our neighborhood.

geoismeo 2 years, 11 months ago

My guy was a beautiful German Shapard named Wolfgang. I lost him last month and my heart is still broken.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 2 years, 11 months ago

Puppy Nicky Nautilus White Fang Junior was a good dog, considering his wild street running ways. He survived being hit by a truck and later I watched him flatten down under another car that was about to kill him on the highway. He rose up pretty fast to escape being hit by the next vehicle coming down that road. He'd follow our family car that couple of miles it took to get to St. Andrew's Catholic church, down near the Big Easy. It's amazing how stop signs and traffic lights can slow a '64 Dodge 440 station wagon to flesh and blood dog speed. Puppy was a trip, fall and leap of faith. He learned to catch "lightning bugs" by watching us kids do it. He'd jump up and paw them to the ground. He'd play the piano for baloney. He'd play baloney for the hell of it and contributed in breeding about the ugliest puppies I'd ever seen. He'd could climb or dig under any fence. He would leap into any water, to bark at eels or ride ocean vessel's waves on the Mississippi River near the bridge. He would kill any small animal he came across (damnable dog) and attack any threat to his family with all of his 35 pounds (damned good dog). He was a street dog. He was found on the street, or found his family there. The stray followed my mother and sister to school registration. He visited the principal's office, though uninvited and warned away, and jumped to her lap. When we were destined to move and he was placed in the car to ride with my dad to join his new family abode in Kansas, he leaped from the car on the way to the airport, dislocating his right hind leg and spending miserable hours reaching his new home. He had loved his freedom, following his master's bike around the streets of the West Bank, and sank into a sorry existence once we moved to the leash-law land of Prairie Village, KS. He went blind (glaucoma) but still caught cicadas in the bushes, crunching them heartily. He learned to jump lightly into the air, on command, so as not to trip over curbs on his leashed walks. He died (was put down) while I was away at college. Oh, Puppy. Damn you people! I'm crying!

fancy80 2 years, 11 months ago

Birddog named Girl, Three Labs named Rock, Jake and Jessie. One Rat Terrier Chihuahua mix named Tank. My favorite name though was Cash. I borrowed that name from a co-worker. Well, his name wasn't Cash, but he had a dog named Cash and I thought it was cool.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 11 months ago

Puppy sounds like an extraordinary dog and he lived a happy life. Now I feel like crying, but thank you for sharing this story JJE007. Gramps had a blue tick hound that he called Willie G.

Randall Barnes 2 years, 11 months ago