Previous   Next

Where is your favorite place to go for a slice of pizza, and what makes that pizza a cut above the rest?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 14, 2012

Browse the archives

“Rudy’s. Their sauce is less tomatoey and has more Italian pizza flavor.”

“I’m going to go with Pyramid Pizza, because of all their garlic. The garlic is so good on that.”

“Probably Pizza Hut because their cheese is a lot meltier than most other places and the pizza is a lot thicker, so you get more of the goodness. ”

“I would say Rudy’s. It’s a cut above the rest because I just like how they have all these different toppings and their crust.”

Comments

Jean Robart 2 years, 2 months ago

any place besides Papa John's Love Pizza Shuttle

JackMcKee 2 years, 2 months ago

best pizza in Kansaa is Johnny's across the river. There's crack in them ovens.

JackMcKee 2 years, 2 months ago

Scheme in Salina is a close 2nd

CMM 2 years, 2 months ago

It appears Holly has never had anything besides Pizza Hut. Maybe 40 years ago, you could make a claim that they serve good pizza. But c'mon, Pizza Hut is a step above the frozen options and a few steps below everything else.

JackMcKee 2 years, 2 months ago

well if you're gonna get fancy, Vernazza, Italia, by the "beach"

MarcoPogo 2 years, 2 months ago

Where on that list was something fancy? I missed it.

gphawk89 2 years, 2 months ago

Never really cared that much for D'Bronx pizza, but they do make some wonderful sandwiches. I was fortunate enough to happen across the place the first day it was open for business (1990, maybe?) and have been there probably over a hundred times since.

The best pizza was a couple of miles east at Antonio's on Main St. One slice of their gourmet stuffed pizza was a full meal. Alas, it closed quite a while back after the owner was shot to death at the store.

The best since that time was from Cafe Viejo in Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica, just north of Panama.

number3of5 2 years, 2 months ago

Kay's Kitchen most definitely. The pizza is always fresh baked, made by hand, and loaded with meat, veggies, and cheese with out the sauce being overpowering. In case you wonder where Kay's Kitchen is, it is my house. I make pizza better than any fast food place....

somedude20 2 years, 2 months ago

PaPa K's has gotten so much better in the last few months. Have eaten there about 10 times in two months and it has not been burnt and is really good. Rudy's rocks as well, they filled the void while Keno's sucked but I am itchin to try Minsky's. Wheat State is just way too inconsistent to be counted as good and Pyramid is not bad (like the garlic) but way too damn expensive for that little slice of pizza (No spit, about a montrh ago a friend and I went to garb a slice and for 4 bucks and change you get a tiny, little, small, hard to see, puny slice, no thanks!) If Pyramid keeps up the suck, Keno's and Minsky's will drive em out of town. I use to really dig Pyramid too

JackMcKee 2 years, 2 months ago

The pizza in Lawrence will not be as good for a while. At least until the supply routes open again. I'm going to risk it anyway and try some Minskys tonight

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years, 2 months ago

howsabout bbq, fried chicken, chinese or mexican? :) now you're gonna starve

somedude20 2 years, 2 months ago

unless they go hog wild with that oregano mix plus they are rather pricey unless you use coupons, so yeah, they are friggin great!

rockchalker52 2 years, 2 months ago

We are getting purty good at grilling pizza at our house so that's what we've been eating lately when it comes to 'za. My buddy, who rarely steers me wrong, says it's worth the trip to D'Bronx.

scopi_guy 2 years, 2 months ago

Shakey's, about 36 years ago.

Pizza Shuttle isn't really that horrible. Once in a while, I find myself really wanting some. But, I have pretty unrefined taste.

Pizza Hut was a lot different in the 70s. I think all they served then was a very thin crust and it wasn't bad.

As far as favorite-they don't sell it by the slice, but would have to say Godfathers. But it's kind of pricey.

I don't think there's any real bad pizza---even the 99 cent frozen Totinos! Considering what I "invented" at home once when I was about 13 and wanted pizza and had nothing in the house to make one and no money to buy one:

crust: flattened-out pop-out refrigerator biscuits sauce: Campbell's tomato soup straight from the can Topping: cut-up hot dogs cheese: Velveeta (do yourself a favor and don't try to shred that stuff)

KSense 2 years, 2 months ago

The Gondolier in Knoxsville had the most delicious sort of chicken and Fettacinni cheese pizza.

irvan moore 2 years, 2 months ago

"new" papa kenos isn't nearly as good as before, more consistent sure but a pizza weighs about half as much as it did, cheese isn't as good, more of a "whitebread" product now, hohum. johnnys is the best in town

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

Probably was looking to troll with me but since my wireless was down this AM he goes after R_I instead. What a maroon . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

Him? You two know each other?

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

Aw, thuja . . . . and I thought we was gonna be facebook friends . . 8-[

beatrice 2 years, 2 months ago

New York City is my favorite place to go for pizza. Being able to also visit the Metropolitan Museum and MoMA makes it a slice above other places.

woodscolt 2 years, 2 months ago

pyramid, pizza hut, pappa johns are tied by narrowly edging out many others for worst pizza. Not even meltier cheese (what!) can save any of them. Tie goes to Papa keno and rudys when fresh out of the oven. If your in a hurry, Rudy's is your best bet.

Nikki May 2 years, 2 months ago

I like lots of places and if you are doing Pyramid, do buffet. You get money's worth that way. Anyway, Tad's New York is my new favorite by the slice, since it's close to my work and I like NY pizza. Downtown is pyramid or Rudy's (I really don't like papa kenos and never have.) For delivery, Fat Freddys! I love their toppings and creativity (and calzones).

Nevertheless 2 years, 2 months ago

Morningstar's NYPD. Do it. Good stuff.

08Champs 2 years, 2 months ago

Johnny's in North Lawrence. Said I would try the new places when they opened, and I did. Not as good (Tad's has good looking help that apparently never spent time in a kitchen before....should have tried them after a few months training instead.)

blindrabbit 2 years, 2 months ago

Best I've eaten recently! Go out to Aldi, buy the large cheese pizza (not frozen) take home, load up with salad bar fixins!

irvan moore 2 years, 2 months ago

had minskys tonight, ok, not bad, not great, asked for cheese and red pepper, said would put in box, they didn't

JackMcKee 2 years, 2 months ago

Godfather's used to have awesome pizza, before Herman Cain turned them into Pizza Hut Jr. God I used to love their sauce and crust. Glory Days reminds me a little of it, but there is no replacing the original.

08Champs 2 years, 2 months ago

Have you tried Johnny's in North Lawrence? Used to go to KC for D'Bronx but don't need to anymore.

cato_the_elder 2 years, 2 months ago

The best pizza ever in Lawrence was at the Campus Hideaway, hands down. Earl's Pizza Palace was second.

Both have been sorely missed for some time.

irvan moore 2 years, 2 months ago

go to johnnys, pretty sure is old campus hideaway pizza

cato_the_elder 2 years, 2 months ago

You're right, it's the same style and remarkably close, but still not quite the same.

Katara 2 years, 2 months ago

Torre's in KCMO. Minsky's Glory Days

whats_going_on 2 years, 2 months ago

Kenos used to be good...it's been pretty gross the past few times I've gone. No more.

Love Papa Johns and Godfathers

whats_going_on 2 years, 2 months ago

and yuck @ Pyramid!!!!!! Only good when drunk.

Curtis Lange 2 years, 2 months ago

Ingredient's pizzas are pretty good too! Love me a stone oven pizza.