Previous   Next

Where is your favorite place to go for a slice of pizza, and what makes that pizza a cut above the rest?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 14, 2012

Browse the archives

“Rudy’s. Their sauce is less tomatoey and has more Italian pizza flavor.”

“I’m going to go with Pyramid Pizza, because of all their garlic. The garlic is so good on that.”

“Probably Pizza Hut because their cheese is a lot meltier than most other places and the pizza is a lot thicker, so you get more of the goodness. ”

“I would say Rudy’s. It’s a cut above the rest because I just like how they have all these different toppings and their crust.”

Comments

Curtis Lange 1 year, 10 months ago

Ingredient's pizzas are pretty good too! Love me a stone oven pizza.

whats_going_on 1 year, 10 months ago

and yuck @ Pyramid!!!!!! Only good when drunk.

whats_going_on 1 year, 10 months ago

Kenos used to be good...it's been pretty gross the past few times I've gone. No more.

Love Papa Johns and Godfathers

Katara 1 year, 10 months ago

Torre's in KCMO. Minsky's Glory Days

cato_the_elder 1 year, 10 months ago

The best pizza ever in Lawrence was at the Campus Hideaway, hands down. Earl's Pizza Palace was second.

Both have been sorely missed for some time.

Lateralis 1 year, 10 months ago

IMO'S St. Louis....also round 119th and strangline (i think)

Norma Jeane Baker 1 year, 10 months ago

Kansas has no good pizza. D'Bronx is probably the closest to the real thing, but it still lacks.

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

Godfather's used to have awesome pizza, before Herman Cain turned them into Pizza Hut Jr. God I used to love their sauce and crust. Glory Days reminds me a little of it, but there is no replacing the original.

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

I see I didn't miss anything today. In my kitchen is the only place I can be sure that sausage is not really a booger. If it is I guess it gets sanitized in the oven.

If your poster name is a girl with some numbers behind it does that mean it your links are spam? And where the hell is Misky's...or Minkys? dang you guys musta been drinkin early today.

irvan moore 1 year, 10 months ago

had minskys tonight, ok, not bad, not great, asked for cheese and red pepper, said would put in box, they didn't

blindrabbit 1 year, 10 months ago

Best I've eaten recently! Go out to Aldi, buy the large cheese pizza (not frozen) take home, load up with salad bar fixins!

08Champs 1 year, 10 months ago

Johnny's in North Lawrence. Said I would try the new places when they opened, and I did. Not as good (Tad's has good looking help that apparently never spent time in a kitchen before....should have tried them after a few months training instead.)

Nevertheless 1 year, 10 months ago

Morningstar's NYPD. Do it. Good stuff.

Nikki May 1 year, 10 months ago

I like lots of places and if you are doing Pyramid, do buffet. You get money's worth that way. Anyway, Tad's New York is my new favorite by the slice, since it's close to my work and I like NY pizza. Downtown is pyramid or Rudy's (I really don't like papa kenos and never have.) For delivery, Fat Freddys! I love their toppings and creativity (and calzones).

g_rock 1 year, 10 months ago

And the strangest pizza ever is Fong's Pizza in Des Moines downtown. Old Chinese restaurant turned Asian fusion pizza place/tiki bar.

tange 1 year, 10 months ago

a-z zip pizza

/ they make it any way you want it, and they make it fast

CWGOKU 1 year, 10 months ago

"Sign up for Minskys birthday club and you get a free small, three topping pizza or calzone. I think I got a free calzone this year. They are big" T_O_B

That's what she said

woodscolt 1 year, 10 months ago

pyramid, pizza hut, pappa johns are tied by narrowly edging out many others for worst pizza. Not even meltier cheese (what!) can save any of them. Tie goes to Papa keno and rudys when fresh out of the oven. If your in a hurry, Rudy's is your best bet.

beatrice 1 year, 10 months ago

New York City is my favorite place to go for pizza. Being able to also visit the Metropolitan Museum and MoMA makes it a slice above other places.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 10 months ago

A piece of Pita bread, a pepperoni stick, 5 Domino's® parmesan cheese packets, 1/2 a Boboli® 5 oz. pizza sauce packet, some white gas, and you have a pretty tasty backpacking pizza.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

Sign up for Minskys birthday club and you get a free small, three topping pizza or calzone. I think I got a free calzone this year. They are big.

irvan moore 1 year, 10 months ago

"new" papa kenos isn't nearly as good as before, more consistent sure but a pizza weighs about half as much as it did, cheese isn't as good, more of a "whitebread" product now, hohum. johnnys is the best in town

KSense 1 year, 10 months ago

The Gondolier in Knoxsville had the most delicious sort of chicken and Fettacinni cheese pizza.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 10 months ago

I am not above Totino's pizza rolls and a Schlitz, but I do make a good camp pizza in a kettle.

scopi_guy 1 year, 10 months ago

Shakey's, about 36 years ago.

Pizza Shuttle isn't really that horrible. Once in a while, I find myself really wanting some. But, I have pretty unrefined taste.

Pizza Hut was a lot different in the 70s. I think all they served then was a very thin crust and it wasn't bad.

As far as favorite-they don't sell it by the slice, but would have to say Godfathers. But it's kind of pricey.

I don't think there's any real bad pizza---even the 99 cent frozen Totinos! Considering what I "invented" at home once when I was about 13 and wanted pizza and had nothing in the house to make one and no money to buy one:

crust: flattened-out pop-out refrigerator biscuits sauce: Campbell's tomato soup straight from the can Topping: cut-up hot dogs cheese: Velveeta (do yourself a favor and don't try to shred that stuff)

CWGOKU 1 year, 10 months ago

Leona's Pizza , Chicago. Awesome if you like deep dish

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

"My buddy, who rarely steers me wrong, says it's worth the trip to D'Bronx." Rockchalker

It is very good. One big ass slice will fill me up.

rockchalker52 1 year, 10 months ago

We are getting purty good at grilling pizza at our house so that's what we've been eating lately when it comes to 'za. My buddy, who rarely steers me wrong, says it's worth the trip to D'Bronx.

thuja 1 year, 10 months ago

Glory Days Pizza is a hidden gem on the West side.

g_rock 1 year, 10 months ago

Vinnie Van Go Go's, Savannah Georgia.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

"JackMcKee (anonymous) replies… Misky's sounds fancy"

They make you wear a shirt. Something I noticed wasn't always required when Pyramid was on 6th street.

CWGOKU 1 year, 10 months ago

Pizza Shoppe, Minky's, Judges, Kelso's. Haven't been to Pyramid since I was a student. Great pizza. The wife makes good pizza. Dang, I could live on pizza. Thanks for making me hungry . Tomorrow , what is your favorite steak... Or favorite beer.

somedude20 1 year, 10 months ago

PaPa K's has gotten so much better in the last few months. Have eaten there about 10 times in two months and it has not been burnt and is really good. Rudy's rocks as well, they filled the void while Keno's sucked but I am itchin to try Minsky's. Wheat State is just way too inconsistent to be counted as good and Pyramid is not bad (like the garlic) but way too damn expensive for that little slice of pizza (No spit, about a montrh ago a friend and I went to garb a slice and for 4 bucks and change you get a tiny, little, small, hard to see, puny slice, no thanks!) If Pyramid keeps up the suck, Keno's and Minsky's will drive em out of town. I use to really dig Pyramid too

thuja 1 year, 10 months ago

Hands up, who has been to the other Rudy's Pizza in Bellingham, Washington?

number3of5 1 year, 10 months ago

Kay's Kitchen most definitely. The pizza is always fresh baked, made by hand, and loaded with meat, veggies, and cheese with out the sauce being overpowering. In case you wonder where Kay's Kitchen is, it is my house. I make pizza better than any fast food place....

Gotland 1 year, 10 months ago

Holly looks like she is having a press conference.

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

best pizza in Kansaa is Johnny's across the river. There's crack in them ovens.

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 10 months ago

Papa Kenos hands down. Not even a contest. Rudys is good but the slice sitting in the warmer for a half hour makes it not so good. Papa Keno wins!

Jean Robart 1 year, 10 months ago