Previous   Next

What is your opinion on the city’s proposal to raise water and sewage rates by 4 percent?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 14, 2012

Browse the archives

“I would just take less showers, I guess.”

“I’d go for 2 percent. They always ask for more than they need.”

“The sewage bill is too high. I would say call it the sewage bill and not the water bill because the water is half what the sewer is.”

“That’s unfortunate because if I am going to be paying more money I am going to have to be making more money and I have yet to figure out how to do that. I guess I won’t be filling a swimming pool by myself.”

Comments

Robert Wells 2 years, 6 months ago

If you really want to know why your bill is increasing, just check out city crews from time to time and see how effectient they are. I worked for a city before and knew good and well what went on. And what about the east 23rd street overlay project a few years back where all the concrete seams blew out. Give me a break!!! Asphalt and cement do not mix.You mean to tell me that none of the Professionals in charge of that construction/rehab didn't know that. The majority of people do not know that increases are because of past mistakes. Look at Olathe. The downtown street scape circus. Nice decorative bricks were laid down a few years back. Now the Mayor had them all removed and replaced with BRICKS THAT LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME. A 2 million project one day and a 8 million dollar nightmare the next. And believe me, this is just the tip of the ice berg. The money they spend is public knowledge. Look it up. Before you spend more on a shower than on a gallon of gas!

Mumoftwo 2 years, 6 months ago

It's crap! We have a hard enough time keeping up with the water bill as it is.

puddleglum 2 years, 6 months ago

ummm, maybe I will be running......

tired of this nonsense. water bill? should be called sewer and whatever else we can tack on to your monthly expenses bill....

vote puddleglum

JackMcKee 2 years, 6 months ago

None of them are very good, but Cromwell is just so much worse than the rest of them. I'd never really paid a lot of attention to Lawrence politics until this group took office. It's just been painful watching them "lead".

JackMcKee 2 years, 6 months ago

and then there are those of use who are already paying additional assessments for our new infrastructure. It's really fair to make West Lawrence people pay for the mess in the rest of town.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 6 months ago

What is the bucket lined with? How do you dispose of the poop, do you toss it down the nearest sewer? If so, you are using the system.

Tammy Copp-Barta 2 years, 6 months ago

Wish I had gotten a raise over the last few years to pay for all the utility increases ... I swear every time I pick up the paper, there is another utility asking for a pay hike. How are we supposed to keep up???? Before long, none of us will have a house to need any utilities .. then what will they do????

puddleglum 2 years, 6 months ago

I agree 100%.

I wonder if I ran for city commission on a no-rate increase platform, would i win? if that won't do it, maybe my good looks will do it! vote puddleglum.

pace 2 years, 6 months ago

hey as long as you don't destroy infrastructure through your miracle of no rate increase and it doesn't cost housing stock improvement by no development. ruin. If your plan is do nothing and let things rot. No, you won't get my vote. I need real answers not some knee jerk, Bush style read my lips speech.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years, 6 months ago

No matter how you cut it, someone needs to be fired. We hire or elect people to be good stewards of the tax payers monies. For what ever reason when they get elected or hired, they lose all concepts of being frugal with our monies.

We all know that if we were paying for any of these projects, we could get them done, most of the time, for less than half of what the city pays for them.

We need competent elected officials and employees. We need to start this process now. If the city needs new water lines, then that is a critical service or need. The money allocated for things we don't need has to be re directed to things that are critical.

I am sure there is plenty of common ground on this. You see, when you tax the snarf out of people, then there is no money for anything. We are at this point.

Bill Lee 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't generate enough trash to justify what I'm already paying. The idea of paying more is rediculous. If they want more for the water, they need to deliver a better product. Get the dead algae out of it!

puddleglum 2 years, 6 months ago

I couldn't agree more.

well said. vote puddleglum, vote often.

puddleglum 2 years, 6 months ago

its like the clap....just keeps boomerangin'

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 6 months ago

The Reliant was the ship that Khan hijacked to go after Kirk. The Reliant and Enterprise were both destroyed.
"From Hell's heart, I stab at thee!" Gee, and he used to be so nice.

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Well . . . it's a load of cr@p of course! The city is just pi$$in' your money away! City commission spending is like uncontrollable diarrhea! Put a cork in in!

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Because the question is NOT, "What is your opinion 'as a resident of Lawrence' on the city's proposal . . .

Why do so many people who don't live in rural Douglas county spout off on county issues?

JackMcKee 2 years, 6 months ago

Things that could actually be causing your rate to go up:

Bowersock Dam Farmland Industries Trash stupidity

Cromwell.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 6 months ago

I hate having to walk around sprinklers when it is pouring down rain.

bad_dog 2 years, 6 months ago

I hate having to use an umbrella when I water my lawn...

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 6 months ago

Do you know what the percentage of water in beer is? Well, it's a lot.

somedude20 2 years, 6 months ago

"I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline"

Don Whiteley 2 years, 6 months ago

Raising our water and sewage rates would be absolutely insane! Better to fire the incompetent bumpkins who can't manage a system with what is the highest water rates in any city I've ever lived or heard about. I have an apartment in the city where I work and their rates are 1/7th what Lawrence charges. I've already demanded to see my share of the gold they must be putting in our water. Perhaps I should claim I'm not receiving my share of the diamonds either.

jafs 2 years, 6 months ago

If you're comparing bills, you have to compare apples to apples. The Lawrence monthly bill includes water, trash collection, wastewater and sewer charges, as well as yard waste pickup for most of the year.

What city are you referring to, and do you have any evidence that they're providing comparable services at much lower rates?

puddleglum 2 years, 6 months ago

yeah, look at shawnee county or topeka resident's water bill, we are getting ripped off big time.

shouldn't be called a water bill, the water is cheap...the trash charge and the super ridiculous 'sewer' and storm drainage charges are totally out of step.

vote puddleglum for CC!

jafs 2 years, 6 months ago

Link or source?

And, they'd have to be comparable, including all of the services I mentioned, including yard waste pickup for much of the year.

jafs 2 years, 6 months ago

Contrary to the common assertion that our water, etc. rates are absurdly high, it seems that they are in fact pretty equivalent to other cities, like Topeka.

I looked up the water, sewer, etc. rates for Topeka online - they're very much the same as here.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 6 months ago

I wonder how long it's been since the last increase, I don't know when that was.

But if it's been more than two or three years, an increase of 4% is no increase at all, because inflation has been more than that.