Previous   Next

What is your opinion on the city’s proposal to raise water and sewage rates by 4 percent?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 14, 2012

Browse the archives

“I would just take less showers, I guess.”

“I’d go for 2 percent. They always ask for more than they need.”

“The sewage bill is too high. I would say call it the sewage bill and not the water bill because the water is half what the sewer is.”

“That’s unfortunate because if I am going to be paying more money I am going to have to be making more money and I have yet to figure out how to do that. I guess I won’t be filling a swimming pool by myself.”

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 10 months ago

I wonder how long it's been since the last increase, I don't know when that was.

But if it's been more than two or three years, an increase of 4% is no increase at all, because inflation has been more than that.

jafs 1 year, 10 months ago

Contrary to the common assertion that our water, etc. rates are absurdly high, it seems that they are in fact pretty equivalent to other cities, like Topeka.

I looked up the water, sewer, etc. rates for Topeka online - they're very much the same as here.

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

frankie8(anonymous) says…

I hate having to walk around sprinklers when it is pouring down rain could you be anymore vague?

It stays wet in Ireland.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

""I poop in a lined bucket" - T_O_B

Seriously?"

The veal fajitas, which were delicious, got to me. I pooped in the bucket. I haven't used porcelain since.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 10 months ago

"I poop in a lined bucket" - T_O_B

Seriously?

distant_voice 1 year, 10 months ago

Raising our water and sewage rates would be absolutely insane! Better to fire the incompetent bumpkins who can't manage a system with what is the highest water rates in any city I've ever lived or heard about. I have an apartment in the city where I work and their rates are 1/7th what Lawrence charges. I've already demanded to see my share of the gold they must be putting in our water. Perhaps I should claim I'm not receiving my share of the diamonds either.

somedude20 1 year, 10 months ago

"I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline"

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

"Excellent link T_O_B, how I have always pictured him" CW

Autie isn't quite as hairy as that picture. He shaved his mustache off.

CWGOKU 1 year, 10 months ago

Excellent link T_O_B, how I have always pictured him

g_rock 1 year, 10 months ago

Drink less water, more beer.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 10 months ago

I hate having to walk around sprinklers when it is pouring down rain.

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

Things that could actually be causing your rate to go up:

Bowersock Dam Farmland Industries Trash stupidity

Cromwell.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

"Oh..so now we cherry pick off the menu those things we want big government to do for us instead of being self reliant" Autie

Antonym 1 year, 10 months ago

Why do so many people who don't even live in Lawrence keep spouting off on this?

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Well . . . it's a load of cr@p of course! The city is just pi$$in' your money away! City commission spending is like uncontrollable diarrhea! Put a cork in in!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 10 months ago

Oh..so now we cherry pick off the menu those things we want big government to do for us instead of being self reliant. - autie

???

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 10 months ago

My A/C condensate irrigates my tomato plants.

CWGOKU 1 year, 10 months ago

Haven't we beat this topic up all week elsewhere in the LJW? I like my coffee black, no cream or sugar

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

Bill Lee 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't generate enough trash to justify what I'm already paying. The idea of paying more is rediculous. If they want more for the water, they need to deliver a better product. Get the dead algae out of it!

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

Tax the snarf out of people? Is the 4% increase a new tax? Would that be sales tax or property tax? Or is that a cost based on units of usage just like your electric or gas bill? Instead of mooching off of big government and the nanny state everyone just needs to dig a well in their back yard next to the outhouse and just take care of their own business..huh?

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 10 months ago

No matter how you cut it, someone needs to be fired. We hire or elect people to be good stewards of the tax payers monies. For what ever reason when they get elected or hired, they lose all concepts of being frugal with our monies.

We all know that if we were paying for any of these projects, we could get them done, most of the time, for less than half of what the city pays for them.

We need competent elected officials and employees. We need to start this process now. If the city needs new water lines, then that is a critical service or need. The money allocated for things we don't need has to be re directed to things that are critical.

I am sure there is plenty of common ground on this. You see, when you tax the snarf out of people, then there is no money for anything. We are at this point.

Tammy Copp-Barta 1 year, 10 months ago

Wish I had gotten a raise over the last few years to pay for all the utility increases ... I swear every time I pick up the paper, there is another utility asking for a pay hike. How are we supposed to keep up???? Before long, none of us will have a house to need any utilities .. then what will they do????

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

My opinion does not matter. However, I would point out that the city operates the fee for service on water and sewer with a zero balance budget. But the cost of everything else keeps going up. The maintenance and the repair/replacement projects ain't cheap. Amazing how water and sewer lines start to fall apart when they were only installed in 1920...you must have got cheated.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

I poop in a lined bucket. I should get a discount.

Andini 1 year, 10 months ago

Does my opinion really matter?

g_rock 1 year, 10 months ago

Don't forget to pick up the water ration. - I'll do that. I'll die if I don't get water.

prospector 1 year, 10 months ago

They gonna get you coming and going anyway you look at it.

I'm going fishing.

commonsenseanyone 1 year, 10 months ago

These are the reasons I welcome tax cuts in any shape or form.

rockchalker52 1 year, 10 months ago

It's a fun & friendly Friday on OTS.

mikekt 1 year, 10 months ago

Hate to tell you this but your water mains are getting aged & worn out. It will cost a fortune to replace them all in the future, as needed. Drive down any city street that has multiple homes or industry, etc.. & that is just some part of a mile, of many many miles of street & water mains, in Lawrence, Ks. The cost to maintain them in the coming years, is going to grow, no matter what some joker, lier, fool running for some political office tells you. The good news is that despite their various ages & construction types, that they still work most of the time & if you counted the breaks per functional mile of pipe, they are still few and far between for most folks. This is not a joke & most of us haven't a clue because, we weren't around to pay for their original building in the first place. It all....they all, just sort of happened for us & we expect it, them, to work dependably, at low costs. I have a hard time imagining pipes from the time before the chlorination of water ( that are still in many municipal systems around the country today - pre 1909, or so ), when people drank out of wells and municipal water systems were fire fighting, animal watering systems, that could be deadly to drink from, for humans! Most can go a long uncomfortable time without eating! Many days. Not so for not drinking liquids......or flushing our toilets. OWWWW! Water system repair/replacement costs are going to be a big issue, if they aren't already.

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

None of them are very good, but Cromwell is just so much worse than the rest of them. I'd never really paid a lot of attention to Lawrence politics until this group took office. It's just been painful watching them "lead".

Number_1_Grandma 1 year, 10 months ago

The elections are coming, the elections are coming.....

....now, don't forget come election time to not vote back these same idiot commissioners!

Mumoftwo 1 year, 10 months ago

It's crap! We have a hard enough time keeping up with the water bill as it is.

DillonBarnes 1 year, 10 months ago

Gives new meaning to double chin!

Tanked 1 year, 10 months ago

If you really want to know why your bill is increasing, just check out city crews from time to time and see how effectient they are. I worked for a city before and knew good and well what went on. And what about the east 23rd street overlay project a few years back where all the concrete seams blew out. Give me a break!!! Asphalt and cement do not mix.You mean to tell me that none of the Professionals in charge of that construction/rehab didn't know that. The majority of people do not know that increases are because of past mistakes. Look at Olathe. The downtown street scape circus. Nice decorative bricks were laid down a few years back. Now the Mayor had them all removed and replaced with BRICKS THAT LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME. A 2 million project one day and a 8 million dollar nightmare the next. And believe me, this is just the tip of the ice berg. The money they spend is public knowledge. Look it up. Before you spend more on a shower than on a gallon of gas!