Previous   Next

Have you heard of or do you know anyone who’s been infected with hand, foot and mouth disease?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 13, 2012

Browse the archives

“I’ve heard about it, but I’m not at all worried about it.”

“I thought it was an old, mostly eradicated disease, like whooping cough. But I know whooping cough is coming back because people don’t get immunized.”

“I’ve heard about it, but don’t know much. I don’t know anyone who’s gotten it. ”

“I’ve heard of it, but don’t know anyone who has it.”

“I haven’t heard of it, so I’m assuming it’s not all that common.”

Related story

Comments

gphawk89 1 year, 10 months ago

One of my kid's friends had it recently. We were scheduled to go to his birthday party when he was (unknowingly) contagious but backed out at the last minute. Lucky us.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 10 months ago

"It's NOT related to not washing" - Bevy.

Do you realize how this virus is transmitted?
Direct contact. A person can lower their risk of being infected by washing their hands often with soap and water, especially after changing diapers and using the toilet. Disinfecting dirty surfaces and soiled items, including toys. First wash the items with soap and water; then disinfect them with a solution of chlorine bleach and water Avoid close contact such as kissing, hugging, or sharing eating utensils or cups with people with hand, foot, and mouth disease.

I hope I never visit your home, and I hope you do not have a job where you come into contact with people. Eww.

Monty Amick 1 year, 10 months ago

be afraid,,, be very afraid

WMcN19 1 year, 10 months ago

My son had it right around his 2nd birthday. He had blisters on his feet and hands and fever but not much of a change in personality/behavior. His school sent an email saying a couple of cases had been reported which is how I knew what it was. We took him to the Dr only because we were flying soon. Dr said "take your trip - he'll be fine." And he was.

christiangirl93 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes, My aunt died from it. She was such a great person who lived by gods law and was such a joy to be around. I still mourn the loss of her.

bevy 1 year, 10 months ago

My toddler got it, high fever, blisters in her mouth, no appetite. It was MISERABLE. Our pediatrician says she's seen a lot of it. It's NOT related to not washing, and it is not the same as the animal disease Hoof and Mouth. We were told that adults don't usually get it, but my friend (whose toddler picked it up from ours) also got it, as did their teen daughter. Everyone in my family had a sore throat and fever within a week of the baby getting sick, so I'm pretty sure we all got it too. Not fun!

beatrice 1 year, 10 months ago

No. I wash my feet and mouth.

jaycat 1 year, 10 months ago

My son had it when he was 3 or 4, that was 14 or so years ago. All I remember was the blood curdling scream he let out just as I was going to sleep. Spent 6 hours in the ER that night.

Richard Payton 1 year, 10 months ago

I think the clapper ad lady had it.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

"Is your Tdap current?"

I wash my hands.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 10 months ago

T_O_B, Is your Tdap current?

The Tdap can be given earlier than the 10 year Td booster.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm more worried about the outbreak of whooping cough in NE Kansas this year because parents won't do the sensible thing and vaccinate their children.

grammaddy 1 year, 10 months ago

I have a couple of friends whose toddlers have contracted this disease. It's painful for the little ones. Like walking on glass with all the blisters on their feet. Poor babies. They don't want to eat or drink.

Andini 1 year, 10 months ago

I once dated a woman who had it. Boy, was she limber!

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

Oh yes..I have stuck my foot in my mouth on many occassions.

tange 1 year, 10 months ago

Wasn't this once called hoof and mouth disease?

/ evolution proof positive

faceit 1 year, 10 months ago

The first step is to admit the problem.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Does this mean . . . There is a fungus . . Amongus?

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

No, no, no Loki! I don't have foot in mouth disease! More like Head up My A . . .

Loki 1 year, 10 months ago

I know a certain person with terrible foot in mouth disease...