Previous   Next

Have you noticed an odd taste or smell in your drinking water?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 12, 2012

Browse the archives

“I noticed at work, but not at home. It’s pretty bad. I’m drinking bottled water.”

“No, I haven’t.”

“No, but I also just got back into town.”

“I haven’t but I always drink bottled water. For me, it’s about being health conscious always. ”

Related story

Comments

gossipgirl785 3 years, 1 month ago

gossipgirl785(anonymous) says…

I called the water dept. today and asked what the reason was and they said that they are working on fixing this. They said they do not know why it has bad taste and smell but it shouldn't be bad for us to drink, even though its hard to believe because it smells like yucky swamp water and it doesn't taste much better! I asked if a water filter would help but they said they do not know....... Seems like they would or should know. This happened a few years ago as well becuase I had to call then and they said the same think. They said this time it should be fixed in a week hopefully.

Adrienne Sanders 3 years, 1 month ago

This happens every year. First it tastes like swamp, next week it will taste like bleach.

Yes, a water filter will help.

Bill Lee 3 years, 1 month ago

I've noticed it, Making strong tea with it helps.

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

Night shift skinny dippin' in the treatment tank again?

LadyJ 3 years, 1 month ago

One more comment Roe and you will have 11,111 comments, you're halfway to 22,222.

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

Hi Fluxie! Did you know the number 11111 is a composite number? Yep, the product of 2 prime numbers (41 x 271 = 11111) is a composite number. Imagine that, you learned something today from ole Roe!

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

My kids tell me I am a fountain of useless information!

LadyJ 3 years, 1 month ago

More like another feather in his cap.

LadyJ 3 years, 1 month ago

After Roe's remark, I was going to say that maybe the poster that claims to only take one bath a year had taken his yearly bath in the treatment tank. I couldn't remember for sure which poster that was though. I the slight chance it might work, I entered yearly bath in the LJW search box to see if one of his comment would come up. It didn't, but these two gems from the Lawrence paper in 1899 did. Enjoy. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/1999/apr... http://www2.ljworld.com/news/1999/apr...

grammaddy 3 years, 1 month ago

How can they possibly know whether or not it's safe for us if they have no idea what's causing the foul smell or funny taste? I'll stick to my Britta pitcher and change the filters weekly until this passes.

rockchalker52 3 years, 1 month ago

Yah, the water stinks, but it still ain't worthy of both an OTS & a poll question. Where's babboy when you need him? Flip, flip, flip.

workinghard 3 years, 1 month ago

More concerned about what is in the air, my asthma has really kicked up. Medicine not helping much. Maybe the smoke from the fires in Colorado and New Mexico have reached us. Had that happen when they had all the fires last time.

JackMcKee 3 years, 1 month ago

me to, that's why I drink tap water poured into plastic water bottles just like old meathead.

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

The old well out back tastes like iron, salt, farm chemicals and soap. Once it smelled like dead skunk. And farmers that don't get tangled up in their machinery live longer than most.

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

Could be. I hear there's been a round-up

JackMcKee 3 years, 1 month ago

The beer out of my kegerator tastes just fine.

somedude20 3 years, 1 month ago

I heard that al-Qaeda dumped tons of "bath salts" in our water supply. At first I did not believe it but when my boss went from chewing my butt to trying to chomp on my face, it is boom stick time!

The water bill is too damn high!

JackMcKee 3 years, 1 month ago

tell me more about this. I'm intrigued.

boxers_or_briefs 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm intrigued about why you have a wet bar in your bedroom. Do you have mirrors on the ceiling and a round bed as well?

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

Did Great Britian ever figure out boiling the water to make the beer would also make the water safe to drink straight up? Prolly not.

Lana Christie-Hayes 3 years, 1 month ago

It smells and tastes like it was dipped directly out of the lake.. Fishy and dirty!.. I would much rather have it taste and smell like chlorine. Either way, I've started to boil it. Still, even showering in it and doing the dishes in it makes me cringe! I've lived here all my life and I have NEVER experienced the water being like this! It's truly DISGUSTING!

Lana Christie-Hayes 3 years, 1 month ago

After boiling a big pot of it, the smell is gone. Have yet to taste it tho.

beatrice 3 years, 1 month ago

If they don't know why it stinks and tastes like poo, how can they be so confident that it isn't bad for people?

Lana Christie-Hayes 3 years, 1 month ago

And the children and our pets are even more at risk than most of the rest of us. My kitty, who has kidney problems already, got really sick last weekend.. really really sick! I replaced her water with distilled water and she seems to be doing a little better today. Not sure if it relates or not, but just sayin'....

Chris Ogle 3 years, 1 month ago

Didn't notice it until reading above posts..... now my water stinks and tastes like poo. How did the government know I was reading this???

Flap Doodle 3 years, 1 month ago

Hey, the water department is doing fine!

Lana Christie-Hayes 3 years, 1 month ago

I just boiled a bit pot of water for drinking. The smell is gone! I haven't tasted it yet, however!

beatrice 3 years, 1 month ago

Perhaps the recent tax cuts don't leave Governor Sam enough to regulate your drinking water AND fight all things liberal at the same time. Priorities people, priorities.

Soylent Green Water -- its pee people.

unite2revolt 3 years, 1 month ago

No but my Dr Pepper at the movie theater tasted funny. We filter water at home all the time because at our place it tastes like old gym socks 24/7.

NotRelated 3 years, 1 month ago

Hey big bad Bryan not so sure your bottled water is really much healthier than tap, you might want to check that studly