Previous   Next

Have you noticed an odd taste or smell in your drinking water?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 12, 2012

Browse the archives

“I noticed at work, but not at home. It’s pretty bad. I’m drinking bottled water.”

“No, I haven’t.”

“No, but I also just got back into town.”

“I haven’t but I always drink bottled water. For me, it’s about being health conscious always. ”

Related story

Comments

My_Life 1 year, 10 months ago

Indyan says don't drink the water unless it's connate.

thuja 1 year, 10 months ago

The bears are swimming in the lake.

NotRelated 1 year, 10 months ago

Hey big bad Bryan not so sure your bottled water is really much healthier than tap, you might want to check that studly

unite2revolt 1 year, 10 months ago

No but my Dr Pepper at the movie theater tasted funny. We filter water at home all the time because at our place it tastes like old gym socks 24/7.

beatrice 1 year, 10 months ago

Perhaps the recent tax cuts don't leave Governor Sam enough to regulate your drinking water AND fight all things liberal at the same time. Priorities people, priorities.

Soylent Green Water -- its pee people.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

"autie (anonymous) says… The activated carbon filter was invented by a Frenchman named Don Perry Young in 1879."

That was so he could stomach French wine.

g_rock 1 year, 10 months ago

The water did make me grow a tail since Saturday....now I'm concerned.

prospector 1 year, 10 months ago

Has Erin Brockovich been notified? Come home Erin, come home....

Lana Christie-Hayes 1 year, 10 months ago

I just boiled a bit pot of water for drinking. The smell is gone! I haven't tasted it yet, however!

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

I heard that fish sometimes have sex in water. I knew that wasn't a good idea after I learned about water being a universal solvent.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 10 months ago

Hey, the water department is doing fine!

Chris Ogle 1 year, 10 months ago

Didn't notice it until reading above posts..... now my water stinks and tastes like poo. How did the government know I was reading this???

Lana Christie-Hayes 1 year, 10 months ago

And the children and our pets are even more at risk than most of the rest of us. My kitty, who has kidney problems already, got really sick last weekend.. really really sick! I replaced her water with distilled water and she seems to be doing a little better today. Not sure if it relates or not, but just sayin'....

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

"beatrice (anonymous) says… If they don't know why it stinks and tastes like poo, how can they be so confident that it isn't bad for people?"

Bea - Please shut up and do what your government asks of you. Which is to not question the water.

beatrice 1 year, 10 months ago

Lana Christie-Hayes 1 year, 10 months ago

It smells and tastes like it was dipped directly out of the lake.. Fishy and dirty!.. I would much rather have it taste and smell like chlorine. Either way, I've started to boil it. Still, even showering in it and doing the dishes in it makes me cringe! I've lived here all my life and I have NEVER experienced the water being like this! It's truly DISGUSTING!

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

"boxers_or_briefs (anonymous) replies… I'm intrigued about why you have a wet bar in your bedroom. Do you have mirrors on the ceiling and a round bed as well?"

You should see what he has in the pantry.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 10 months ago

Jack, Just use a cheap activated carbon in-line filter like you put on your ice maker line to the Norge. It is pretty simple to hook them up to the cold water supply line at each faucet / tap you want filtered water. It takes just a few plumbing fittings and mere minutes to accomplish. Activated carbon filters the water for taste and odor. I buy a 12 pack of them on-line, and change them every 6 months. Of course I keep my receipts so I can fairly calculate and pay the compensating use tax.

CWGOKU 1 year, 10 months ago

We must protect our water, like that Colonel in Dr. Strangelove said, "The Russkies are after our precious bodily fluids".

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Did Great Britian ever figure out boiling the water to make the beer would also make the water safe to drink straight up? Prolly not.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 10 months ago

Will not an activated carbon ice maker filter take care of the issue?

I have one on the water dispenser tap in my kitchen, in the wet bar in my bedroom, in the cold water lines in the bathroom lavatories, and of course the ice maker. They only cost $4.00 and hook easily into the supply line.

BABBOY 1 year, 10 months ago

I used to be one of those bottled water guys. I mean all the hot chicks at the gym are drinking it all seductive like so it must be good for ya, right?

But, I have read stuff that suggests that the water in bottled water may just be a growing ground for bacteria. It makes sense to me. Untreated water sitting in hot truck being delivered to store to sit even longer in hot storage room. The bacteria is going to grow without any limitations.

I am not saying tap water is better and it has issues as well but I will just stick with tap water as I am not seeing the benefit of drinking bacteria in bottle....

Besides, I am too old and married so drinking the water in the bottle to impress the hot chicks is kind of silly.........

CWGOKU 1 year, 10 months ago

Pour in a lot of bourbon and you won't notice the water, regardless . I see KU_LAW changed his name to Andini

somedude20 1 year, 10 months ago

I heard that al-Qaeda dumped tons of "bath salts" in our water supply. At first I did not believe it but when my boss went from chewing my butt to trying to chomp on my face, it is boom stick time!

The water bill is too damn high!

JackMcKee 1 year, 10 months ago

The beer out of my kegerator tastes just fine.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Could be. I hear there's been a round-up

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

uh...I guess that is LV....sorry.

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

I heard the well water in LW County smelled of rabbits.

prospector 1 year, 10 months ago

Just when someone pulls my finger.

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

The old well out back tastes like iron, salt, farm chemicals and soap. Once it smelled like dead skunk. And farmers that don't get tangled up in their machinery live longer than most.

g_rock 1 year, 10 months ago

I had some funky tasting ice cubes ruin some perfectly good bourbon over the weekend. I think it was sabotage.

Damian666 1 year, 10 months ago

Does it smell like rotting flesh? People do disappear from time-to-time....some reported, some not.

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

For me, its all about being health conscious.

workinghard 1 year, 10 months ago

More concerned about what is in the air, my asthma has really kicked up. Medicine not helping much. Maybe the smoke from the fires in Colorado and New Mexico have reached us. Had that happen when they had all the fires last time.

rockchalker52 1 year, 10 months ago

Yah, the water stinks, but it still ain't worthy of both an OTS & a poll question. Where's babboy when you need him? Flip, flip, flip.

grammaddy 1 year, 10 months ago

How can they possibly know whether or not it's safe for us if they have no idea what's causing the foul smell or funny taste? I'll stick to my Britta pitcher and change the filters weekly until this passes.

Andini 1 year, 10 months ago

Only when I don't add enough alcohol.

LadyJ 1 year, 10 months ago

After Roe's remark, I was going to say that maybe the poster that claims to only take one bath a year had taken his yearly bath in the treatment tank. I couldn't remember for sure which poster that was though. I the slight chance it might work, I entered yearly bath in the LJW search box to see if one of his comment would come up. It didn't, but these two gems from the Lawrence paper in 1899 did. Enjoy. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/1999/apr... http://www2.ljworld.com/news/1999/apr...

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

Night shift skinny dippin' in the treatment tank again?

Bill Lee 1 year, 10 months ago

I've noticed it, Making strong tea with it helps.

gossipgirl785 1 year, 10 months ago

gossipgirl785(anonymous) says…

I called the water dept. today and asked what the reason was and they said that they are working on fixing this. They said they do not know why it has bad taste and smell but it shouldn't be bad for us to drink, even though its hard to believe because it smells like yucky swamp water and it doesn't taste much better! I asked if a water filter would help but they said they do not know....... Seems like they would or should know. This happened a few years ago as well becuase I had to call then and they said the same think. They said this time it should be fixed in a week hopefully.