Previous   Next

Do you think it is a good idea to allow alcohol tastings at liquor stores and wineries?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 5, 2012

Browse the archives

“Personally, I like a lot of micro brews. I know at some bars they charge you for the samples before you get the full pint. For instance, if that was allowed in liquor stores I think it would be really cool because you could get a feel for what you are buying before you actually got it.”

“It’s kind of like buying shoes. It’s good to try them on first.”

“I feel like you don’t know what your are trying and if you buy something you should know if you are going to like all of it.”

“I think that it is a great idea to allow tastings at local liquor stores. I enjoy a tasting a variety of red wines and I would enjoy tasting before I would have to finish a bottle, especially if it was an expensive bottle.”

Comments

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

"I called up the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms regional office and asked: 'What wine goes best with an M-16 ?' The guy who answered did his best to be helpful: 'That depends. What are you smoking ?'"

(from a source)

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

My tolerance for alcohol isn't what it used to be.

After one drink I start to feel it.

Two drinks and anybody can feel it . . . .

Mike1949 2 years, 6 months ago

As long as it is monitored and people are only sampling to decide to if they like the taste. I have purchased wine that we pawn off on family and friends, tastes nasty! If I tasted it before I purchased, I would not have a almost full bottle of wine sitting around for over a year!

rockchalker52 2 years, 6 months ago

Mike, it might taste nasty because an almost full bottle of wine sitting around for over a year is usually known as vinegar.

50YearResident 2 years, 6 months ago

It is a bad idea for a liquor to offer tasting. Think about it, what is the store going to do with all the opened bottles of spirits that someone tasted 1 sample from. He can't sell an opened bottle unless it was opened for you and you bought it on the spot. The ones you didn't like are lost inventory that will need to be disposed of someway and the lost income will need to be made up by marking up the prices of everything else. Now, at a vinyard, it is ok because they only offer a few of their own selected wines. You don't get to go into the store and select 5 or more bottles from the shelf display and say, open these.

jafs 2 years, 6 months ago

If it's a bad idea, then they won't do it.

And, vertigo's right - you can't just pull bottles off of the shelf and ask them to open them.

kawrivercrow 2 years, 6 months ago

They do this all the time in the drugstores of Brookside and Waldo areas of KC MO. The only downside is for people like me who can't maneuver through the throng of hoity-toities when I'm just trying to pick up an extra toothbrush and tylenol for a weekend in the city. Somehow, I don't think the CVS management is as focused on my inconvenience as they are about the heady profits from multiple cases of wine being carried out the door like nymphs in a roman orgy.

50YearResident 2 years, 6 months ago

You are right, I don't understand the process. I am not a member of Sam's Club either. If it worked like a winery sampling event I would change my view on it. I was under the impression from comments here that anyone could go into a liquor store and ask for a sample of a product on the shelf. That is what I based my post on.

somedude20 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm not drunk, I'm just drinkin I'm not stoned, I'm just thinkin

Yes, they should allow tastings because it sucks to spend $9-10 bucks on some brew only to find that you don't like it. Sucks harder (starring Bruce Willis)

50YearResident 2 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for the clarification. When it works like you stated, I will agree that the concept will work and should be allowed. Thanks.

blindrabbit 2 years, 6 months ago

"No, occifer" the offending driver said when pulled over for suspicion of DUI, I was not drinking at each of those establishments, I was just sampling the various tastes, then I spit everything out, hence the smell of alcohol. Just like Bill Clinton said, I did not inhale (swallow). The darn stuff makes me sick; I plead a fifth, or at least a pint!

booyalab 2 years, 6 months ago

The liquor store owner is in the best position to make that decision.

bd 2 years, 6 months ago