Previous   Next

Do you think it is a good idea to allow alcohol tastings at liquor stores and wineries?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 5, 2012

Browse the archives

“Personally, I like a lot of micro brews. I know at some bars they charge you for the samples before you get the full pint. For instance, if that was allowed in liquor stores I think it would be really cool because you could get a feel for what you are buying before you actually got it.”

“It’s kind of like buying shoes. It’s good to try them on first.”

“I feel like you don’t know what your are trying and if you buy something you should know if you are going to like all of it.”

“I think that it is a great idea to allow tastings at local liquor stores. I enjoy a tasting a variety of red wines and I would enjoy tasting before I would have to finish a bottle, especially if it was an expensive bottle.”

Comments

bd 1 year, 10 months ago

LIQUOR STORE CRAWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

booyalab 1 year, 10 months ago

The liquor store owner is in the best position to make that decision.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

"good idea gone wrong somehow."

Not if there is the right body and right tequila.

g_rock 1 year, 10 months ago

Tequila body shots while shopping....good idea gone wrong somehow.

CWGOKU 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm with T_O_B, I never try the samples in stores, I know what I like and I hate to shop, I know what want before I go in the place, I buy it and get out. And the perfume spritzers annoy me too. I know I like PBR and Natty lite, with good bourbon , I don't need to try some foofoo drink with an umbrella in it

blindrabbit 1 year, 10 months ago

"No, occifer" the offending driver said when pulled over for suspicion of DUI, I was not drinking at each of those establishments, I was just sampling the various tastes, then I spit everything out, hence the smell of alcohol. Just like Bill Clinton said, I did not inhale (swallow). The darn stuff makes me sick; I plead a fifth, or at least a pint!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 10 months ago

I am all for serendipitous discoveries.

CWGOKU 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes, of course I am for free samples in liquor stores. I am also for free samples at Victoria's Secrets and strip clubs, but they don't see it that way and run me off or call the cops. Kill joys...

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

"Thanks for the clarification. When it works like you stated, I will agree that the concept will work and should be allowed. Thanks." 50

I lived in Missouri and to be honest, I hardly ever bothered with the samples. Not much of a wine drinker and usually the booze samples were for the newest fad liquor thing. Booze companies aren't going to be giving away too many free samples of established brands that everyone already knows what tastes like.

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

just a side note...Johnny Walker blue is very expensive thus very over-rated.

Just like Chivas...which taste like something run through a bag of dirty socks.

prospector 1 year, 10 months ago

When would free booze be a bad idea?

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

"I was under the impression from comments here that anyone could go into a liquor store and ask for a sample of a product on the shelf. That is what I based my post on."

What will happen is a certain company will come in and offer samples of their own product. One can't just request a sample of Johnny Walker Blue and the store will open it for them.

BABBOY 1 year, 10 months ago

I think two questions on such a meaningless issue is asinine.......

Really, who gives a flip......

somedude20 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm not drunk, I'm just drinkin I'm not stoned, I'm just thinkin

Yes, they should allow tastings because it sucks to spend $9-10 bucks on some brew only to find that you don't like it. Sucks harder (starring Bruce Willis)

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 10 months ago

"Think about it, what is the store going to do with all the opened bottles of spirits that someone tasted 1 sample from."

Keep pouring samples from the bottle.

"The ones you didn't like are lost inventory that will need to be disposed of someway and the lost income will need to be made up by marking up the prices of everything else."

No, A thousand times no. Companies wouldn't offer samples if they were losing money.

"You don't get to go into the store and select 5 or more bottles from the shelf display and say, open these"

I'm going to assume you don't understand how sampling works in a liquor store.

50YearResident 1 year, 10 months ago

It is a bad idea for a liquor to offer tasting. Think about it, what is the store going to do with all the opened bottles of spirits that someone tasted 1 sample from. He can't sell an opened bottle unless it was opened for you and you bought it on the spot. The ones you didn't like are lost inventory that will need to be disposed of someway and the lost income will need to be made up by marking up the prices of everything else. Now, at a vinyard, it is ok because they only offer a few of their own selected wines. You don't get to go into the store and select 5 or more bottles from the shelf display and say, open these.

autie 1 year, 10 months ago

I know somebody that went to the local vineyard so much they had to ban him. Free samples rule. I want a sample of NightTrain. Spacehog told me once he used to get free samples at some of the local liquour stores....free samples of asphalt in the parking lot.

Andini 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes. I've always wanted to try Boones Farm & Natural Light.

rockchalker52 1 year, 10 months ago

Mike, it might taste nasty because an almost full bottle of wine sitting around for over a year is usually known as vinegar.

Mike1949 1 year, 10 months ago

As long as it is monitored and people are only sampling to decide to if they like the taste. I have purchased wine that we pawn off on family and friends, tastes nasty! If I tasted it before I purchased, I would not have a almost full bottle of wine sitting around for over a year!

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

My tolerance for alcohol isn't what it used to be.

After one drink I start to feel it.

Two drinks and anybody can feel it . . . .

RoeDapple 1 year, 10 months ago

"I called up the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms regional office and asked: 'What wine goes best with an M-16 ?' The guy who answered did his best to be helpful: 'That depends. What are you smoking ?'"

(from a source)