Previous   Next

Have you ever filed a police report for stolen property?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 1, 2012

Browse the archives

“Not in Lawrence, but in Overland Park someone stole my iPod from my car. It was a bad day.”

“No.”

“I probably should have, but I didn’t, on two separate occasions, bikes were stolen. One was a kid’s bike.”

“No, I haven’t, thankfully.”

Comments

RoeDapple 2 years, 6 months ago

Yep. For all the good it does . . . .

LadyJ 2 years, 6 months ago

It's kind of like voting in the city elections.

bunnyhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

I did. It was a total waste of time. They told me I could look for my stolen jewelry in pawn shops.

grammaddy 2 years, 6 months ago

Nah, why bother. Barney can't find his back side with both hands on a good day.

Bill Lee 2 years, 6 months ago

I had about a hundred CDs stolen, and I filed a report. The cops said they didn't have time to look for them. I found them on sale a Hastings a few days later.

rockchalker52 2 years, 6 months ago

Misterlee, how does that work? Did you have to buy your CDs again?

Topple 2 years, 6 months ago

Too bad you couldn't show they recipients of and are selling stolen property!

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 6 months ago

The police could care less about stuff like that. They don't even care if it was 200 years old and belonged to your 3X great grandpa. As far as they're concerned, it's just paperwork so people can put in an insurance claim. My father was a lifelong musician and when he died at 73 he left a 1927 National Steel dobros. It's worth thousands. It was stolen from my sister's house and despite the fact that we had the numbers from it, it's never been found. It's probably hanging on the wall of some collector now who could care less how he got it. And believe me, all looking for it was done by the family, not the cops.

Liberty275 2 years, 6 months ago

I came into my place of employment some years back and it had been ransacked. Several thousand dollars worth of equipment were gone. I called my boss, he called the police. They came out, walked around and never did anything else. Luckily my boss had insurance which covered the loss.

Thank goodness for private enterprise to take up the slack when government fails.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 6 months ago

Back around 1985,I filed a report when some lousy, rotten person broke into my apartment and stole my Konica T2. It had an f 1.2 lens and weighed about as much as a three drawer file cabinet. Took darned good photos, tho....

geekin_topekan 2 years, 6 months ago

When I worked at Pizza Shuttle it was my habit to leave me car running, especially on busy weekends, whilst I run inside to grab ma next order(s) for delivery. Inevitably, one night after I dashed inside to get a stack of pies and came out to an empty parking slot.

I rang the bobbies and they said "Ah, just wait. It'll come back in a few minutes."

Lo and behold, not ten minutes later I glanced outside and me beloved sat across the lot, idling. I retrieved her and my cassette tapes (yes), and tip jar, which was a coffee can w/lid, were untouched.

Gammon's. Quite the crowd on Fridays.

pace 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes, callled in reports and each time, was told to expect nothing and they could do nothing. On one, my neighbors came over the next day, they had seen suspicious activity and took down the license plate, I reported it. The police person told me there was probably no connection. I called the officer's supervisor. That was the day I found out a report to the police was not really a report unless the police considered it a report and then they would give you report number. Until that point it is just chatting. I called with a follow up, and the police said they could not find the person, they had moved from the address the car was identified with. I went there and asked a neighbor where they had moved. I gave the new address and they found the guys, I think it is important to at least file a report, and ask for it to be an official report with a number. I think it will helps the police to identify areas under assault by a thief or gang of thiefs. It also helps keep the statistics somewhat accurate. The dialogue with the police, who's work I respect and acknowledge is both dangerous and complex. I am not indicating lack of respect for the profession or the specific officers, the dialogue was as if i should not bother bringing up my personal problems such as robbery or make a report. I disagree with the idea that theft is not important or worth their time to even take a report. I don't expect a squad or even a detective, or officer to mount an investigation, but they should take the report as a report, and maybe establish a standard dialogue that doesn't denigrate the person who has chosen to report stolen property or break in. We need a Citizen's Review Board.

Amy Heeter 2 years, 6 months ago

Smitty you've gone too far M.T. Brown is my favorite detective.

pace 2 years, 6 months ago

I always regret reading yours, just personal remarks, nothing except you rancor. I wish the original in your name stood for something rather than nada.

gphawk89 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes. Three times that I can remember during the five years I lived in Lawrence. And another four times (again, all in Lawrence) to report my car/motorcycle/bicycle being vandalized. I've spent almost 25 years since that time living in much larger cities and have had NO similar problems. What's the deal with that?

Jenna McNallen 2 years, 6 months ago

My mom died and had a car so my older brother William took it. He had it stolen from him and got on the news and someone bought him a car. My brother always disrespected our mom and stole from her. He never deserved our mothers car and he doesn't deserve the new car he just got. He had places to live he just decides not to live there. My name is kristy I am his sister I know first hand how mean my brother is. He even disowned his own son. And me. He does any drug he can find and drinks whenever he can. He lost his job for not going to work and he isn't going to try to find a new one. He has the oppurtunity to get jobs but he never tries. I live 15 minutes away from Lawrence in perry. Nowhere in Perry is there a place hiring I've looked everywhere. And my fiance has a car but he has a job so I can't use his car. Cause he needs it. my brother gets free handouts when I am struggling I just don't see how that is fair. If there is a god he isn't a just god.