Previous   Next

What is a meal or a food that you think captures the essence of summer and why?

Asked at Asked on Massachusetts Street on July 26, 2012

Browse the archives

“Fruit smoothies, preferably banana based.”

“I think a lot of fresh fruit, like peaches.”

“Steaks on the grill; it’s good weather to cook outside and drink beer all day.”

“Raspberries because I used to pick them for my grandmother.”

Comments

mae 2 years ago

charcoal. anything like maybe hamburgurs seasoned, some corn on the cob, brats, or some veggies on a stick. (or you could just go spend the same at mcd or tacbel)

shotgun 2 years ago

Buffalo Mozzarella, Tomatoes, Fresh Basil, Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar.

shotgun 2 years ago

Caprese Salad! Fresh Tomatoes!

myopinion 2 years ago

Watermelon. It takes until summer to be ripe and then the juice is great on a hot day.

Gart 2 years ago

Riv &PY - 100% agreed. BLT (cubed to taste)

Gart 2 years ago

BTW, Py. Thanks for the advise about a year ago. Still have the fur ball....And, Yes, I know. Change my avatar...Some like it, they are all from Lawrence too.

Back to topic. WTF is up with this bath salt crap going on? No. Not something I would like for a summer "essence"... People eat this?? I don't get it.....

Bill Lee 2 years ago

My ex's potato salad. Mine just doesn't measure up to her's. Freshly picked tomatoes and cucumbers, too.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions - all on a sesame seed bun (30 g of fat)

kernal 2 years ago

Tomatoes! Summer really begins when tomatoes start ripening on the vine. Use mine for homemade salsa, gazpacho (lime juice instead of lemon) and every sandwich imaginable where a tomatoe makes it complete.

tweetysvoice 2 years ago

Watermelon, tomatoes and a big ole' juicy steak cooked over charcoal!

grammaddy 2 years ago

Anything on the BBQ grill,iced tea and watermelon.

rockchalker52 2 years ago

Yum! We iz just about set for a picnic. Don't forget the sweet corn or the peach pie.

trinity 2 years ago

Home made ice cream-hand cranked of course. :)

reverber 2 years ago

Tarator: Diced cucumbers, garlic, salt, and fresh dill mixed with Bulgarian yogurt and cold water. Should be the consistency of soup. The Bulgarian yogurt makes the dish, because it tends to be more tangy than its American (or Greek) counterparts.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years ago

If you're feeding watermelon to a small child, seedless is the only way to go because I think it is possible for a small child to choke on a watermelon seed.

Other than that, you're right!

Kyle Neuer 2 years ago

Pilsner. Porters for Spring and Fall and Stouts for Winter.

rockchalker52 2 years ago

Anything on a stick from an ice cream truck. Mott's horse drawn ones always had good popsicles.

rockchalker52 2 years ago

August coming right up, folks, a good time for backyard food & fun. We should get together & party. From the suggestions offered, I'd say prospector should cater.

ok, I'll be the huckleberry. What the hell is THTL?

riverdrifter 2 years ago

"Cucumbers and onion in vinegar."

Yep! -And with lots of ice.

Jay_lo 2 years ago

With pigs in full bloom Lots of BLT's loom The Summer has got a great start

Sweet corn on the cobs We eat by the gobs Sending butter and salt to the heart

Thick juicy steaks on the grill Lots of brewskies to chill Outdoor cooking's become such an art

'Tater salad with mayo We could eat it all dayo Home made not the stuff from the mart

The ice cream's a freezing Cranking, sweating, and wheezing The exercise helps me not fall apart

Onions and cucumber Then to bed for some slumber Glad they make my wife burp and not fart

Tomorrow's a new day We'll do things the same way 'Cause it's summer and we'll do our part

To make it all grand In this bountiful land Waste not nor want, ain't we smart?