Previous   Next

What is a meal or a food that you think captures the essence of summer and why?

Asked at Asked on Massachusetts Street on July 26, 2012

Browse the archives

“Fruit smoothies, preferably banana based.”

“I think a lot of fresh fruit, like peaches.”

“Steaks on the grill; it’s good weather to cook outside and drink beer all day.”

“Raspberries because I used to pick them for my grandmother.”

Comments

Jay_lo 1 year, 8 months ago

With pigs in full bloom Lots of BLT's loom The Summer has got a great start

Sweet corn on the cobs We eat by the gobs Sending butter and salt to the heart

Thick juicy steaks on the grill Lots of brewskies to chill Outdoor cooking's become such an art

'Tater salad with mayo We could eat it all dayo Home made not the stuff from the mart

The ice cream's a freezing Cranking, sweating, and wheezing The exercise helps me not fall apart

Onions and cucumber Then to bed for some slumber Glad they make my wife burp and not fart

Tomorrow's a new day We'll do things the same way 'Cause it's summer and we'll do our part

To make it all grand In this bountiful land Waste not nor want, ain't we smart?

riverdrifter 1 year, 8 months ago

"Cucumbers and onion in vinegar."

Yep! -And with lots of ice.

CWGOKU 1 year, 8 months ago

R_I, start drinking the strong. Too late for a bran muffin and strong coffee. In laws.., gag

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 8 months ago

rockchalker52,
I am getting snippy and grumpy.This morning is nice, but the summer is getting to me.
I am tired of seeing signs that say "Swallowing gasoline can be harmful or fatal"
I am tired of the banning of Buckyballs or Lawn Darts because of idiots.
I am tired of seedless watermelons.

THTL= too hot, too long.

And, my in-laws drove their mobile living unit up my drive and plugged in the the outlet on my barn that I stupidly installed for them to plug into. I am tired of my in-laws.

rockchalker52 1 year, 8 months ago

August coming right up, folks, a good time for backyard food & fun. We should get together & party. From the suggestions offered, I'd say prospector should cater.

ok, I'll be the huckleberry. What the hell is THTL?

CWGOKU 1 year, 8 months ago

Blue73Harley... Good answer!

I was gonna say chili, but really, anything on the grill, and a real charcoal grill, not that wussy propane. No offense Hank Hill

g_rock 1 year, 8 months ago

I kind of miss watermelon that had seeds.....best eaten on grandparents back patio off of newspapers. Pass the salt shaker.

rockchalker52 1 year, 8 months ago

Anything on a stick from an ice cream truck. Mott's horse drawn ones always had good popsicles.

Kyle Neuer 1 year, 8 months ago

Pilsner. Porters for Spring and Fall and Stouts for Winter.

ShePrecedes 1 year, 8 months ago

Watermelon, for me. But only when they have the seeds. Seeded watermelons are summer. And they taste better than the seedless kind. They taste real and full and abundant.

Seedless watermelon is like watching a new TV show in black and white. Stupid, stupid grocery stores!!

BABBOY 1 year, 8 months ago

Barbeque, Steaks, corn of the smoker, or baked potatoes off the smoker and ice cream.

Although, I cannot eat the ice cream so much any more cause I am trying to lose the blubber......

Lost ten pounds while getting stronger since May.....

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 8 months ago

"Caprese Salad!"

One of my neighbor's made this for a thing a couple weeks ago. Freaking awesome.

reverber 1 year, 8 months ago

Tarator: Diced cucumbers, garlic, salt, and fresh dill mixed with Bulgarian yogurt and cold water. Should be the consistency of soup. The Bulgarian yogurt makes the dish, because it tends to be more tangy than its American (or Greek) counterparts.

Liberty_One 1 year, 8 months ago

A dry Riesling slightly chilled.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 8 months ago

BLT's with cucumbers and onions followed by watermelon and gin and tonic.

And keep the damn devil's vegetables off my table.

trinity 1 year, 8 months ago

Home made ice cream-hand cranked of course. :)

g_rock 1 year, 8 months ago

I grew up on home grown diced tomato, cubed velveeta and mayo salad. Welcome to my white trash kitchen. Haven't had it in ages.

Cucumbers and onion in vinegar.

Maybe an ice cold margarita on the rocks would be more appropriate today...

rockchalker52 1 year, 8 months ago

Yum! We iz just about set for a picnic. Don't forget the sweet corn or the peach pie.

grammaddy 1 year, 8 months ago

Anything on the BBQ grill,iced tea and watermelon.

tweetysvoice 1 year, 8 months ago

Watermelon, tomatoes and a big ole' juicy steak cooked over charcoal!

kernal 1 year, 8 months ago

Tomatoes! Summer really begins when tomatoes start ripening on the vine. Use mine for homemade salsa, gazpacho (lime juice instead of lemon) and every sandwich imaginable where a tomatoe makes it complete.

RoeDapple 1 year, 8 months ago

Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions - all on a sesame seed bun (30 g of fat)

autie 1 year, 8 months ago

Bacon and tomato sandwiches.....all variety....the ones with turkey, lettuce, cheeses...I don't care...big piles of bacon and cold thick tomato slices. With a big glass of ice cold tea....brewed iced tea.

Andini 1 year, 8 months ago

Mountain Dew, Pork Rinds and unfiltered Camels. Because Grandma liked this.

Bill Lee 1 year, 8 months ago

My ex's potato salad. Mine just doesn't measure up to her's. Freshly picked tomatoes and cucumbers, too.

Gart 1 year, 8 months ago

BTW, Py. Thanks for the advise about a year ago. Still have the fur ball....And, Yes, I know. Change my avatar...Some like it, they are all from Lawrence too.

Back to topic. WTF is up with this bath salt crap going on? No. Not something I would like for a summer "essence"... People eat this?? I don't get it.....

Gart 1 year, 8 months ago

Riv &PY - 100% agreed. BLT (cubed to taste)

Roland Gunslinger 1 year, 8 months ago

Grilled ribeye with sliced avocado on top

Grilled zucchini and yellow squash

A light salad with strawberries and walnuts in it with balsamic vinagrette

myopinion 1 year, 8 months ago

Watermelon. It takes until summer to be ripe and then the juice is great on a hot day.

Pywacket 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes! BLTs with sliced tomatoes straight from the garden.

I was going to say 'gazpacho' before I got distracted by Riverdrifter's contribution. I make lots of gazpacho with the abundance of tomatoes, cukes, onions, herbs, and other fresh produce. Spice it up, add lemon juice and sea salt to taste, and serve cold....maybe with a BLT on the side. It doesn't get much better.... especially if you finish with a frozen fruit margarita or daiquiri. (Strawberry, mango, kiwi, raspberry....)

blue73harley 1 year, 8 months ago

Biscuits and Gravy with a bourbon chaser.

shotgun 1 year, 8 months ago

Caprese Salad! Fresh Tomatoes!

mae 1 year, 8 months ago

charcoal. anything like maybe hamburgurs seasoned, some corn on the cob, brats, or some veggies on a stick. (or you could just go spend the same at mcd or tacbel)