Previous   Next

Have you ever had any difficulties at the DMV?

Asked at Massachusetts Streets on July 14, 2012

Browse the archives

“Yes, I don’t think people should have to wait two hours to get their license.”

“The main thing has been the line. The most I have had to wait is an hour.”

“No. In Michigan it’s easy. You are in and you’re out.”

“No, not with the services or administration, I haven’t.”

Comments

Pywacket 1 year, 9 months ago

Reticent~ Well... I guess it's a matter of terminology.

I thought the OTS question pertained to the motor vehicle dept WITHIN the Treasurer's purview (she also collects monies on real estate & such). I noticed that some of the respondents thought as I did and others discussed renewing driver's licenses. I'm still not sure which one they actually were asking about--probably the driver's license folks.

Anyway, I worked for the county treasurer, in the motor vehicle area (section, department, or what have you), in the old courthouse at 11th & Mass.

Roe, you just never noe who's gonna run off with a dashing Argentine...

My_Life 1 year, 9 months ago

^^^ You and Dick Cheney shoud go dove hunting together.

autie 1 year, 9 months ago

I cain't see the damn eye chart thing...used to be a couple of letters in size 100 font. Now it is regular eye test........I had trouble locating the trifocal zone I needed....I rather looked like a pigeon bobbing my head.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 9 months ago

"Can you take your CCW when renewing you CCH at the DMV?" - RoeDapple

You drive your vehicle to the DMV to renew your drivers license don't you?

RoeDapple 1 year, 9 months ago

I knowed them Bumpuses were up to sumpin but I never figured they'd implicate the Roe's. Whodathunkit?

prospector 1 year, 9 months ago

Hey! Them Bumpus folks are good people. U don't no them.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 9 months ago

"and your spouse has just run off to Argentina with some tramp)"

Poor RI.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 9 months ago

Py,
DMV or Treasurer's office?
Have they merged?

RoeDapple 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't think Mrs Roe would take up with no Argentine . . But you never Noe . . .

RoeDapple 1 year, 9 months ago

Can you take your CCW when renewing you CCH at the DMV?

Pywacket 1 year, 9 months ago

I worked at the DMV in the early 80s. No computers! We typed on IBM Selectric typewriters and kept hand-written ledgers, which we had to balance to the penny after the doors closed.

One thing never changes, though--the fact that, despite the state sending out tag renewal notices SIX weeks in advance of the deadline, a lot of people always wait until the last couple of days, which creates insanely long lines..... then they moan about those long lines.

I learned several useful things from working there.

1) Do your tag renewals early or by mail. If you can't avoid being late, be SEVERAL days late. If you get a ticket for expired tag, they will waive the fees when you go in with proof that you have renewed.

2) If you're buying a vehicle, avoid going to title it on the days when all the last-minute renewers will be clogging the place (last 2-3 days of the month; first 2-3 days of the next month).

3) Find out ahead of time what you will need if you are going to the DVM. If you're just renewing, buying a new or used vehicle, have moved from another state, titling a created trailer (from an old truck bed, etc.), or whatever--call ahead and find out exactly what is needed.

4) Always examine the title before writing the check. If it has a lien on it with no lien release, walk away. If the purported seller is not on the title, walk away. I.e., John Doe wants to sell a car he bought from Jane Roe but he never retitled it in his name. Jane didn't sign off on the title and now she is in Argentina! John is therefore trying to sell a car he does not (in the eyes of the state) own and cannot legally sell. WALK.

5) If the title is in two names separated by "AND," make sure both owners sign off on it or you don't have a valid sale. For instance, Bob and Sue Bumpus divorce and Sue gets the Chevy. But Bob doesn't sign off on the title, which would enable Sue to retitle in her name alone. It reads, "Robert and Susan Bumpus." Bad deal if she can't get Bob to sign off (because he is in Argentina with Jane Roe). Walk away--it's her problem.

6) Related to (5): when titling in two names, be sure it says "OR" or "AND/OR" so you don't hit a wall when you try to sell it (and your spouse has just run off to Argentina with some tramp). Yes, titling the car as "Robert OR Susan Bumpus" means that either spouse could sell the car without the other's knowledge or approval, but if you can't trust your spouse, you have more problems than this is going to cause...

Titling with "OR" or "AND/OR" also prevents needing a decedent's affidavit to sell a vehicle if your spouse has died. A widow(er) has enough to deal with without paperwork snags when trying to sell the vehicle used primarily by the deceased spouse.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 9 months ago

g_rock,
When I renewed my CCH license, they let me go to the front of the line.

wmathews 1 year, 9 months ago

When I went to get my permit I had an ovarian cyst rupture in the DMV and was taken to the ER via ambulance. It was dramatic.

Otherwise no issues.

classclown 1 year, 9 months ago

Not since I moved to Lawrence. That is one of the great things about being in a country town. The longest I ever stood in line around here was about 25 minutes. And that's only because I waited until the last day of the month to renew my tags.

g_rock 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm thinking that there may be quite a few you you all that don't drive so don't have to deal with it. Either by deficiencies, being 12, legal revocation of said license or what not. While folks like me with a job and a real life...we don' t have time for lines and what not. So I hired a KU student between summer band camp gigs to stand in line for me.

RoeDapple 1 year, 9 months ago

Cheap t-shirts, the onliest thing I ever ask the little woman to pick up for me at the sidewalk sale. 2XL, no pink.

rockchalker52 1 year, 9 months ago

Today is National Ice Cream Day. Maybe the DMV should serve cool & refreshing treats on hot summer days. I would go for a fudge-cicle.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 9 months ago

There was that one time I went to the DMV while I was observing no-pants Friday...

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 9 months ago

KC MO was a mess. Tongie is easy.

prospector 1 year, 9 months ago

Crap, the sidewalk sale is coming up soon.

Crap is what you will find.

Get out of my way. I'm only down here for the brewery.

prospector 1 year, 9 months ago

I was killing time in western Kansas while working and stopped in the courthouse in Dighton to get a renewal. A couple of nice older ladies were working and glad to have something to do. I looked in the eye testing apparatus and was told that the right side was broken so they just did my left eye and called it good. I was out in about three minutes. In the couple of months before my renewal is due I quit shaving and let the hair get long so the picture looks nothing like the baby face you would see today. I want to beat the facial recognition software if I can.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 9 months ago

No, this one time i walked in and they were throwing a football back and forth. I was the only soul in there, I had forgotten my renewal test in my vehicle and they said its cool, no problem, didn't even ask me to do the vision test. We took about five pictures before we got a real good one. It was quick, easy, and refreshing to see a stste process so streamlined.

Kat Christian 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm surprised...I haven't one negative comment about the DMV. The longest I ever waited to renew my license since moving here from the Washington DC area was 15 mins. I brag about it to my people back home. LOL Try getting your license renewed back East. You literally have to take at least 1/2 day off work, if not the entire day and get there at least an hour before it opens in hopes of getting out of there by noon which is a big maybe.