Previous   Next

What do you know about the recent Colorado wildfires?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 13, 2012

Browse the archives

“I’ve kept an eye on it. It’s scary — so close to residential areas — it makes you realize how easy it is for something like that to happen in this climate. It doesn’t take much.”

“My family has a cabin west of Colorado Springs — it’s been in the family since before I was born. We were concerned but it’s fine. The highway near it was damaged.”

“I read about it a few weeks back — looks awful.”

“I heard it’s under control now but I know people suffered.”

Comments

Gart 2 years, 5 months ago

WALDO FIRE - GOOD NEWS ALERT!! All 32,000+ evacuated people of Colorado Springs, and those that lost everything from the 350+ households that were burned to the ground. This includes frightened and disoriented pets and natural wildlife.

There is a safe place to go. GREAT NEWS! There is a Cabin which is just a bit west of where Waldo devoured your city. Apparently, although some were concerned, it is safe and fine. A good haven for all including children. Please, no Crayons since it has been a "Family" cabin for many years. Come one. Come ALL!!

Please be warned that the road may be a rough one to get there since it was burned. But, the cabin is fine and, as mentioned before, the owners were really concerned. . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

I know that April 13 is "Blame Somebody Else Day"

And it is Friday the 13th

And Alfred Butt's birthday.

beatrice 2 years, 5 months ago

451 celsius would be 844 degrees fahrenheit. Paper burns long before 844 degrees fahrenheit. The flashpoint for paper actually is 451 fahrenheit, or 233 celcius.

I also don't know who "they" would be, since it is Ray Bradbury's book and he wouldn't have let others change it on a whim.

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 5 months ago

Little bit, one of my son's live in Estes Park, got close but not much damage to town other than lots of smoke and ashes. Like he said dad this whole area of Colorada is a real fire trap with all the dead trees from the ole pine beedle, hope it cooked all them little critters.

gphawk89 2 years, 5 months ago

The Waldo fire stopped about 1/4 mile from where one of my best friends is trying to sell a house. The house wasn't harmed but I'll bet the property values have decreased. They used to be able to walk through their back yard directly to hiking trails in the woods. No woods now.

riverdrifter 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm rereading A Great Day To Fight Fire: Mann Gulch, 1949. 16 smoke jumpers went in. 3 got out alive. Anyway, a cousin left his home near the Waldo fire for a day because the smoke was so bad. His place survived. Friday the 13th? I refuse to be supersticious out of a fear that it would bring back luck.

gphawk89 2 years, 5 months ago

Funny, I just returned from a visit to the local gun shop during my lunch break. I would've checked had I seen the question posted a bit earlier.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

No. I tried to get a nice Browning double for my wife. No one was interested in trading.

tbaker 2 years, 5 months ago

I live near Lawrence, but work in Colorado Springs. I’m here now, and it is a very sad sight. Many of the nearly 350 homes that were lost were pricey - $350-$450K range. The fire moved fast driven by a thunderstorm microburst. It was moving over 60 mph at one point.

They had a very mild winter here with record low snowfall, a very warm and dry Spring, followed by record heat early in the Summer. Add to this the Forrest Service does not permit logging in the National Forrest causing years of dead-fall (fuel) to pile-up. It was the perfect storm set of conditions.

The local rumor mill says the Waldo Canyon Fire was the result of arson, but the authorities are not certain. They have pin-pointed where it started. It is still burning NW of town but is now 100% contained and will soon burn itself out.

The soil composition on the mountain sides is such that the fire has “baked” a layer just under the surface into a sort of hardpan that will not readily absorb water, so the new concern is mud/rock slides and flash flooding if the area gets a significant rain event.

Controlled burns near vulnerable areas and thoughtful forest management (selective logging) would have made this far less of a disaster than it was, but at the end of the day it’s like a Tornado in Kansas, and Earthquake in California, or a Hurricane on the Gulf Coast. Nature Happens.

Good link with photos and videos:

KJDLHS89 2 years, 5 months ago

I grew up in Lawrence, but live in Colorado Springs now.

The Waldo Canyon fire is one of the worst things I have ever seen, & I have seen some pretty devastating tornado damage. I was standing on a hilside across the interstate, watching house after house go up in flames.....I couldn't look away. & to know some of my friends were in that area trying to get out-scary doesn't even describe it.

We live way out east, so we were never in any danger, but many friends of ours were evacuated, & friends of ours had to stay w/ when they left their home, flames flying up in their rear-view mirror. Looking in their eyes as we welcomed them into our home that night was sobering. Knowing their children had had to pick their favorite toys before leaving (one of their kids is our 6 year-old's friend)....agony. Another family we know fairly well is still out of their house, due to smoke damage & ash being too bad to live there. (They were across the road from some of the hardest hit areas).

For me, the hardest part has been that some of our favorite places to hike & enjoy the "great outdoors" are never going to be the same-& yes, I know forests benefit from fire.....but, for us, it will never be quite as enjoyable.

I have driven over there a few times since things have opened back up......& to say it's stunning is an understatement.

The word "wildfire" will never be the same for me.

(the picture in my avatar is from the fire-as it blazed up behind Garden of the Gods. It was taken a few days before the fire took out 346 homes).

KJDLHS89 2 years, 5 months ago

One more.... Taken at about 5:30 PM, Tuesday, June 26.

Kat Christian 2 years, 5 months ago

Have very good friends who live in Colorado Springs. There back deck overlooks Pikes Peak. The fire stopped just 1/2 mile from here street. Am so thankful for this - cause they are the nicest folks. Please keep those who lost there homes in your prayers and donations as some of them were their friends from church. I hope they never have a fire like that again. Such a tragedy...take a lesson beware of where you throw your cigeratte butts, not to overload sockets in your homes, use surge protectors as much as possible and never use an electrical equipment with a frayed cord. Fire is nothing to take lightly. it spreads very quickly and is very deadly. I was raised in a fire fighters household and went on a few of those emergency calls. Saw a two story house become engulfed in flames in 3 minutes. Respect the fire, also keep fire extinghishers and baking soda in your house at all times.