Previous   Next

What is your favorite ethnic restaurant or store in Lawrence?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 9, 2012

Browse the archives

“Curry in a Hurry.”

“Thai food from the Orient.”

“Well, my favorite restaurant is 715. That counts as Italian, right?”

Comments

labmonkey 2 years, 5 months ago

I wonder if anyone will say Wal-Mart for all the Chinese goods they sell.

Chris Ogle 2 years, 5 months ago

That mexican joint that closed years ago.

George_Braziller 2 years, 5 months ago

I was in Greece for three weeks and went to Mad Greek for the first time after I got back. I've never gone back. It barely resembles actual Greek food.

Topple 2 years, 5 months ago

I've found that most of the time, people don't want accurate ethnic food, they want the Americanized version, because it better suits our tastebuds.
Example: Real Chinese food is disgusting to me, but Americanized Chinese take-out....sign me up. Example overseas: Oreos don't suit most Asians because it is considered too sweet, so they modified the recipe for Oreos sold in Asia to be less sweet. Do you think they care that they aren't getting the authentic Oreo experience?

George_Braziller 2 years, 5 months ago

So what is "real" Chinese food? There isn't such a thing. That's like lumping everything together into a category called "North American" food.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

The wife says Little Saigon. I'll have to go with that. For.now.

(Never even been in Muncher's)

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 5 months ago

Brits/Au Marche. My daughter lived part of her life in the Netherlands and she loves Au Marche because she can get European packaged food that isn't available anywhere else.

BinxBolloxed 2 years, 5 months ago

Aye, Brits! Thanks to them, everyone in Larryville can now proudly proclaim "I've got some Jaffa cakes in my coat pocket!!!"

Topple 2 years, 5 months ago

I got a chimichanga at La Parrilla and it was without a doubt the most disgusting thing I've tried to eat at a restaurant. My girlfriend tried it to make sure I wasn't crazy and it was so bad she lost her appetite and didn't finish her food. We left both of our plates 90% untouched. Will never go back.

ST3V3N 2 years, 5 months ago

Yep, only ate there once.....chicken was bloody on the inside. I showed them and they didn't charge me. Still, I don't think I'll be going back.

Topple 2 years, 5 months ago

The Lyon definitely has some authentic popcorn.

Topple 2 years, 5 months ago

If you're ever in Monterey, California then I recommend Crown & Anchor. Fits the bill.

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

I shared a min-pie & a turkey bacon sammich at Minsky's on Satidy. Good stuff. Gettin' the big pie next time.

Roe, just ease into the munchers thing. Start out with, say, a butter croissant maybe, then step it up next trip with some mini-cinnamon & orange rolls. You'll be handlin' those cream cheese donuts before you know it. Dedication is the key.

KSChick1 2 years, 5 months ago

Curry In a Hurry is pretty good if you get there before they sell out of tandoori drumsticks

Beth Ennis 2 years, 5 months ago

India Palace is #1. Zen Zero, La Parilla and Genovese are a close 2nd. I wish we had a German restaurant though. I also liked the suggestion of a british type pub. That would be very good too.

Beth Ennis 2 years, 5 months ago

oh, and for those who haven't tried munchers bakery, their cream cheese pastry is out of this world!!

blindrabbit 2 years, 5 months ago

travelinggeek: Not a German restaurant, already too many overweight people!

blindrabbit 2 years, 5 months ago

Not foriegn ethnic, but an restaurant that specialzes in authentic New Mexican or even Tex-Mex cusine, a far cry from the quasi-Mexican food served around here. Can't wait to get back to Santa Fe.

Topple 2 years, 5 months ago

Dos Reales in Overland Park is fantastic Mexican.

George_Braziller 2 years, 5 months ago

Rudy's gets a big "Ick" from me. The have some of the worst pizza on the planet.

riverdrifter 2 years, 5 months ago

Never had anything but great stuff from LaParilla. Their chille rellenos are the best.

HRCJJ 2 years, 5 months ago

Curry in a hurry- Indian and The med cafe. Mexican would of been Panchos which closed years ago. No good Italian in Lawrence.