Previous   Next

What do you think about the happy hour ban being lifted? How do you think it may affect businesses and/or you?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 3, 2012

Browse the archives

“I don’t personally go out (for happy hours) but I don’t think having them will hurt anything.”

“I think it will help businesses.”

“It’ll be good for bar business. We’ve had them forever (in L.A.). As for the personal responsibility of it, freedom is not a free thing — you have to work for it. ”

“I think it’ll be great for businesses. I know a lobbyist who helped bring it back and he did a great job. ”

Related story

Comments

Gart 2 years, 5 months ago

Umm...I think it will be good for DUI'S??..... Right now these two questions are hard for me to answer. Keeping it short - have used two bottles of nail polish on the chigger bites that infested me from the weekend mowing. Mostly in my "mid section" like years ago. HELP!!!

Tomato 2 years, 5 months ago

Does nail polish work? Isn't the theory behind the nail polish that you're smothering them? If you're doing that because of the old wives' tale that they burrow into you, that's not what happens. By the time you start itching they've finished eating and have fallen off to turn into adults.

The best you can do is treat them the same way you treat mosquito bites. Try hydrocortisone cream and some benadryl. They last longer than mosquito bites and feel worse, but they can be treated the same way. Also sometimes heat helps - hot showers or baths.

Otherwise, for next time, shower immediately after you mow and you'll wash off the chiggers before they can do much damage.

Gart 2 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the advise. Will give it a try. These things are just unrelenting.

Bill Lee 2 years, 5 months ago

It's nice to see them back, but I don't expect them to change my lifestyle.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

"It should be good for business."

Mortuary "business"?

Auto body shop "business"?

Wrecker truck "business"?

/tange . . . quotation mark "business"?

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

So now I will have to prove I have insurance . . .

But I don't have to prove I am a citizen of the U.S. . . .

What the flip? . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

As it turns out, our generation weren't the first to have affairs. Or the last. Now they investigate our descendent's affairs. Wonder how far into the future they can track 'em . . . .

JayCat_67 2 years, 5 months ago

Is it legal to have affairs with your decendents outside a few select southern locales?

labmonkey 2 years, 5 months ago

I hope a Kona Grill opens on this side of the state line now. The best reason to go there is the happy hour. Sushi, Calamari, and a Saki Bomb.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

Back in the day . . . Bars in Lawrence would have Happy Hour at different times. Once we figured out the times we would bar hop . . . well, for 'bout three hours. After that we couldn't find it with both hands. Statistically, we wuz lit up. And happy. Ima thinkin' it made a difference.

If we warn our descendants 'bout potentially bad affairs they might have will it disrupt the space/time continuum?

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

I ain't never heard of no sparkler bombs til this year, so a big 'Hell Yeah!' to the media. Y'all come see me in the Emergency Room.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm outa here. Off to the range, 'bout 250 rounds of stress relief in my near future. Help the SIL break in the new Springfield.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 5 months ago

How in the world does a Happy Hour mean that you can't order a pitcher of margaritas? Bars can still run their normal all-day specials if they choose.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 5 months ago

Ooooooh, I hadn't seen that stipulation but just found some good info on it. Since you're the one to ask: Is Free State doing Happy Hours?

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

RIP, Andy. Your show & Gomer's made up a real happy hour.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 5 months ago

I edited part out because I was trying to find anything about it being illegal to serve an individual a pitcher. I bartended for many years and never heard that one, though, it's Kansas, so who knows. If it's illegal, then I'd guess that every bar is breaking that law.

JackMcKee 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm really not sure how this is to the benefit of the customer. I actually liked the all day specials. Now you'll have to get drunk before 6. That four ounce rule sounds dumb too. I guess the right wingers just can't live with anyone having fun.

purplesage 2 years, 5 months ago

As a matter of principle, I oppose the expansion of access to addictive substances. The arguments are valid - lower cost, time constrained drink specials will encourage the consuption of more alcohol in a shorter period of time. It will increase the number of impaired drivers on that road in the later afternoon / early evening. It will contribute to the development of alcoholism.

I grow weary of the profit margin and the taxes being collected being used as escuses and given the highest priority in the discussion.

JayCat_67 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't think I can handle that much happiness. How 'bout 15 minutes?