Previous   Next

What do you think about the happy hour ban being lifted? How do you think it may affect businesses and/or you?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 3, 2012

Browse the archives

“I don’t personally go out (for happy hours) but I don’t think having them will hurt anything.”

“I think it will help businesses.”

“It’ll be good for bar business. We’ve had them forever (in L.A.). As for the personal responsibility of it, freedom is not a free thing — you have to work for it. ”

“I think it’ll be great for businesses. I know a lobbyist who helped bring it back and he did a great job. ”

Related story

Comments

profound 1 year, 9 months ago

Ifn' i twas only happy one hour a day, life would suck. Life is fabulous!

JayCat_67 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't think I can handle that much happiness. How 'bout 15 minutes?

purplesage 1 year, 9 months ago

As a matter of principle, I oppose the expansion of access to addictive substances. The arguments are valid - lower cost, time constrained drink specials will encourage the consuption of more alcohol in a shorter period of time. It will increase the number of impaired drivers on that road in the later afternoon / early evening. It will contribute to the development of alcoholism.

I grow weary of the profit margin and the taxes being collected being used as escuses and given the highest priority in the discussion.

JackMcKee 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm really not sure how this is to the benefit of the customer. I actually liked the all day specials. Now you'll have to get drunk before 6. That four ounce rule sounds dumb too. I guess the right wingers just can't live with anyone having fun.

g_rock 1 year, 9 months ago

You can still do pitchers of beer, but the law limits the size of hard liquor cocktails to 4 oz. of booze.

I'll miss margaritas the size of a fishbowl.

prospector 1 year, 9 months ago

Marco

I don't know if this new law changes that pitcher rule or not. I doubt it nor do I care because Free State never did pitchers anyway. What happen to the first bit of info you put up saying it is not illegal for an individual to be served a pitcher?

What is the Free State going to do? Beats me. I learn about things there like everyone else. As I said above,

"I am always happy at the Free State, no matter what the hour is."

bd 1 year, 9 months ago

I'll drink to that!!! HICK*

rockchalker52 1 year, 9 months ago

RIP, Andy. Your show & Gomer's made up a real happy hour.

hitme 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't really check for specials much. but if I did...

prospector 1 year, 9 months ago

It is illegal to sell a pitcher of anything to an individual. G can only order a pitcher if she takes a couple margarita drinking friends.

g_rock 1 year, 9 months ago

So I can't order a pitcher of margaritas any more but I can order lots of 2 for 1 specials. I guess that means I get my salt replenished as I go? To balance out the sodium, I probably should brush the salt off the chips before I guac them up?

RoeDapple 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm outa here. Off to the range, 'bout 250 rounds of stress relief in my near future. Help the SIL break in the new Springfield.

autie 1 year, 9 months ago

autie, When people die. oh never mind...

Ohhhh...I was thinking like one of them jeanzeeology things but you saying it is like when all the cousins come in and some guy reads a will so's everyone can see what they get out of the deal when someone dies and leaves a bunch of stuff? Ya see, where I lives they calls them lawyers.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 9 months ago

Its got a good beat & you can dance to it .

autie, Sometimes, when people fart. Oh never mind...

RoeDapple 1 year, 9 months ago

I ain't never heard of no sparkler bombs til this year, so a big 'Hell Yeah!' to the media. Y'all come see me in the Emergency Room.

CWGOKU 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't want anyone checking my flipping affairs, descendant or otherwise. It is always happy hour when them mood strikes me. Dang, next question. Oh, everyone have a safe and happy 4th, be careful with those sparkler bombs.

RoeDapple 1 year, 9 months ago

Back in the day . . . Bars in Lawrence would have Happy Hour at different times. Once we figured out the times we would bar hop . . . well, for 'bout three hours. After that we couldn't find it with both hands. Statistically, we wuz lit up. And happy. Ima thinkin' it made a difference.

If we warn our descendants 'bout potentially bad affairs they might have will it disrupt the space/time continuum?

BABBOY 1 year, 9 months ago

Wow, does this newspaper have an interest in Happy Hour somewhere? Seems like the third thing they put up on it.

I think it is a stupid little game that people who have nothing else to do that want to do to make their lazy boring existence dulled and less unattractive by pretending to be happy hour in meaningless banter over a drink. These are the same people that greet you in catch phrases.

I quit drinking for obvious reasons. But, when I did drink, if I wanted to get hammered, I did not need some stupid lame excuse like New Years or Happy Hour to do it…..

Oh, and before I forget, flip Happy Hour.........

prospector 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't need someone to tell me when I should be fippin' happy. I am always happy at the Free State, no matter what the hour is.

labmonkey 1 year, 9 months ago

I hope a Kona Grill opens on this side of the state line now. The best reason to go there is the happy hour. Sushi, Calamari, and a Saki Bomb.

autie 1 year, 9 months ago

that's what I was thinking....descendent affairs, well hell's bell's she ain't even got a boyfriend.

RoeDapple 1 year, 9 months ago

As it turns out, our generation weren't the first to have affairs. Or the last. Now they investigate our descendent's affairs. Wonder how far into the future they can track 'em . . . .

RoeDapple 1 year, 9 months ago

So now I will have to prove I have insurance . . .

But I don't have to prove I am a citizen of the U.S. . . .

What the flip? . .

autie 1 year, 9 months ago

OK, one of the great things about OTS is seeing the occupations of the responsdents. A descendent affairs clerk? Really? No...really, come on, he made that up.

autie 1 year, 9 months ago

It will have no statistically significant impact on DUI.

But it will create thousands in new revenue and all of the bar owners will have to put on hundreds and hundreds of more full time employees to cope with thousands of new patrons. Ya see, it is all about jobs and the new and improved road map for Kansas. Thanks Sam.

RoeDapple 1 year, 9 months ago

"It should be good for business."

Mortuary "business"?

Auto body shop "business"?

Wrecker truck "business"?

/tange . . . quotation mark "business"?

Bill Lee 1 year, 9 months ago

It's nice to see them back, but I don't expect them to change my lifestyle.

Antonym 1 year, 9 months ago

If in the mid section they most likely ain't chiggers. Do the right thing. Refrain from relations, see a doctor, and prepare a list of partners to contact.

Gart 1 year, 9 months ago

Umm...I think it will be good for DUI'S??..... Right now these two questions are hard for me to answer. Keeping it short - have used two bottles of nail polish on the chigger bites that infested me from the weekend mowing. Mostly in my "mid section" like years ago. HELP!!!

blue73harley 1 year, 9 months ago

How will it affect me?

I sure won't drink any more...

or any less!