Previous   Next

Have you ever been on a working farm?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 W. 23rd St. on January 27, 2012

Browse the archives

“Yes. It’s a different sort of living, and interesting, but I suppose not really because it’s how almost everyone used to live. ”

“I haven’t. ”

“I haven’t.”

“I believe so, many moons ago.”

Related story

Comments

Bill Lee 2 years, 10 months ago

Many times, but only to visit. I've never worked on one.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 10 months ago

When I was little, I thought just about everybody lived in a farmhouse out on a farm, except for the people that lived on ranches like my grandfather's.

I knew there were a few people in town but I had no idea what they did, except for the people who worked in the stores, and the minister.

Later, I discovered that some of the people in town were teachers.

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

Been on one? Hell, for the first 20 years of my life I thought "farm" was spelled E-I-E-I-O !

grammaddy 2 years, 10 months ago

Every summer as a kid. My Father raised and boarded horses near Silver Lake.I had to spend a month there every summer. Hated it. They were not on the city water line, just a well. Water was for the livestock first. You were only allowed 3 inches in the tub twice a week.Couldn't wait to get home to take a 30 minute shower. It gave me a lot of respect for the American farmer, though.

riverdrifter 2 years, 10 months ago

Yes. Farmers on both sides of my family tree. One has it good: he packs up and leaves for the Florida keys the day after Christmas, comes back in March.

somedude20 2 years, 10 months ago

Does farmville count? I have seen a pot farm before

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

Butchered chickens and drove a tractor at age nine. Slaughtered a hog and sold grain at twelve. My parents weren't too happy 'boutit when they found out. Neither was the farmer next door.

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

BABBOY makes this too complicated. Simple answer, "field trip"? Yup, guess just about everybody's been there.

rockchalker52 2 years, 10 months ago

Have farmed some residential real state. Farmed some farms, too.. Can get a little dicey when everybody's fixin' to harvest the same crop. Didn't know they were using drones, though:

Spent some summers on the grands' farm, it was all bb guns & haylofts & skippin' rocks on the pond.

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

Working the squeeze chute can get a little wild. Gettin' dehorned and made a steer at the same time without anesthetic can be traumatizing. I bet it was for the bull too . . .

just sayin' . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

True story (What! You think everything I write is . . .never mind.) Anyway, my elderly neighbor has one gun, an old Sears and Robucks single shot 12 ga. I gave him an assortment of shells for "farm use". Salt loads for unspecfied use, #8's, #6's and a couple of slugs, explaining what each were so he would have "choices". So, it seems the bull on an adjoining property kept tearing up the fence to get in with his heifers. He caught the bull on his place one last time so he grabbed the gun, pulled a salted shell out of the cigar box on the seat and let the old bull have it right in the back pockets. Problem being, he grabbed a slug round instead.

His neighbor paid for the fence repair. My elderly neighbor paid for a dead bull.

Mary Darst 2 years, 10 months ago

My dad had a farm once. we all loved it. My dad would have someone come plant a little wheat and I think my brother had a small garden over on the other sie of the damn by the pond. Then my dad sold the farm....that was a sad day.

HelenaBertinelli 2 years, 10 months ago

I read the book Animal Farm...that's close enough right?

Don't get the jump from bacon to Robert Burns, but thumps up to both I suppose.

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

Gandalf (anonymous) replies… "Watch out! Posi-trac is hard on Roed's trannys!!!"

Actually after I installed Traction Masters and Posi-Trac the car didn't bounce and shake so violently so the tranny didn't fall out . . . oh . . . um . . forget I said anything.

Bob Forer 2 years, 10 months ago

I've been on a farm working, but never on a working farm.

Jerry Collins 2 years, 10 months ago

Only in Lawrence Kansas could you ask that simple question and get all these boffo answers. I guess Lawrence cant be blamed for attracting all the goofballs on the planet.

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

For a second there I thought he said golf balls . . .

beatrice 2 years, 10 months ago

TOB: "What would be a non-working farm?"

Land.

LadyJ 2 years, 10 months ago

One farm I wouldn't want to work on, a body farm, yuck.