Previous   Next

Have you ever been outside of the U.S.?

Asked at Checkers, 2300 La. St. on January 27, 2012

Browse the archives

“I went to Quebec on a French trip in high school.”

“I did a tour of Europe a few years ago — England, France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy and Germany.”

“No. I’d like to go to Canada — I think the countryside would be beautiful. Or Germany, where my ancestors are from.”

“I’ve been to Japan, Korea, Italy, Greece, France, Mexico, England, Panama and Czech Republic.”

Comments

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 years, 2 months ago

Uncle Sam's Yacht club had me in the Phillipines, Viet Nam, Hong Kong, Singapore, Rid D Janerio, and Norfolk, VA. (hmmm, I think Norfolk is in the US. Imagine that!!)

Spent a year in Alaska before it was a state (Dad was in the Army)

SinoHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

China (incl. Hong Kong & Macau), Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Korea, Japan Turkey U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Russia Argentina, Uruguay Cayman Islands, Bahamas, Mexico

Not bad for <30 of age.

Mike Gerhardt 2 years, 2 months ago

Lived 18 months in the Republic of South Vietnam, lived 8 yeas in Germany and now live in Moscow, Russian Federation.

rockchalker52 2 years, 2 months ago

just to recap , it's satidy nite & this thread is due for it's timely demise, so lemme help with some more answers to questions posed by fellow poster, jimjones:

jj question #19 – Did you have a nickname in school? Sort of. My buddy & I decided we needed nicknames, so we each picked our own. He was Crash & I was Maddog. Or was it the other way around? No two cooler dudes than we, toolin’ the square in the ’66 Mustang, 289 cu. in., 4-speed, Canary Yellow. I remember now, my buddy wrecked it going about 5 miles an hour into a light pole while tuning the radio instead of driving. Yup, he was definitely the one called Crash.

jj question #20 – If you could change professions, what would you be? An advertising guy, but I swore an oath to the Justice League that I would never use my powers for evil.

jj question #21 – How do you want to die? In Orgasmic Bliss as all the Knowledge of the Cosmos floods & ruptures every synapse in my brain.

jj question #22 – How old to you want to be when you die. Old enough to know better. I might turn out to be immortal.

jj question #23 –Is there anyone you would die for? Whole lotsa people. Well, about a dozen family members. Eleven flesh & blood plus dear ol’ Uncle Sam.

jj question #24 – If you put one sentence on your tombstone, what would it be? It’s either ‘Listen closely, I’ll get back to you.’ or ‘I see London, I see France. I can see your underpants.’

jj question #25 – Buried or Cremated? Goin’ with the Big Burn. Hot Stuff, that’s me – or it will be. Somebody can have fun with the ashes. I’ll try to think of some exotic locations for my scatter requests. Stay away from Keith Richards, please.

jj question #26 – Would you like to be frozen until a cure is found? A cure for what? Death? No, thank you. I bet it would hurt when you thaw.

jj question #27 – Is there life after death? Probably. If you listen closely, I’ll get back to you. Don’t rush me, though. I’m not leaving yet.

cont?

HelenaBertinelli 2 years, 2 months ago

Sure I've been outside the U.S. I've been to all sorts of places...Narnia, Middle Earth, Hogwarts, Tatooine. I even spent a little time in Alagaesia.

And I must say, I think booyalab may be correct. Best way to find people who have been to cool places, find people getting food from cool places.

booyalab 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm guessing the OTS reporter waited in the foreign foods aisle for customers to ask, then took asked each one to stand in front of a different shelf at a different part of the store.

thuja 2 years, 2 months ago

Time lapse video of a redhead folding an origami cuckoo clock out of one sheet of paper.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 2 months ago

Some friends of mine went to see the World's Largest Cuckoo Clock in Canton, OH. They were being smartasses so they weren't allowed to see it.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm pretty sure Autie voted for Joe Walsh.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 2 months ago

autie, Do you have a Frank Zappa for President t-shirt?

autie 2 years, 2 months ago

Oh yeah...once I paddle my kayak up the Mekong river into Cambodia shooting up golf balls and bowling pins along the way. That was back in the mid to late sixties. I was such a renegade in those days.

centrist1 2 years, 2 months ago

Canada. Mexico. West Germany.

rockchalker52 2 years, 2 months ago

There's so much to see right here in the U.S. of A. For instance The National Mustard Museum is just one long weekend away. They in big time hock, too, and could use your support.

sandybottom 2 years, 2 months ago

Vietnam in '65-Cambodia just this year-Many others to many to mention,work for the U.S.A.--a private contractor--------

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

RenoChicagoFargoMinnesotaBuffaloTorontoWinslowSarasotaWitchita . . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

^^^ Timing is everything . . .

CWGOKU 2 years, 2 months ago

Yes Where is Vertigo today? I bet he has

Roland Gunslinger 2 years, 2 months ago

More than I ever imagined I would have been... almost too much. I'd say total time spent in foreign countries in my life adds up to just about 8 years.

autie 2 years, 2 months ago

BABBOY has a humor button? Awww, get out.

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

BABBOY left his humor button in the off position this morning. again.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 2 months ago

I went Kamloops trout fishing in Canada once. Big fun.

Peaty 2 years, 2 months ago

England 3X, Australia 2X, Mexico 1X, Jamaica 3X, Canada 10+X. It's always interesting but I'm always happy to get back to the US.

prospector 2 years, 2 months ago

Sure, as well as inside and on top of it.

Chris Ogle 2 years, 2 months ago

I went to Topeka once, but didn't much like it.

Jayhawk1958 2 years, 2 months ago

Seems like everyone has been out of the country except me. Though I would like to go.

tange 2 years, 2 months ago

Daily.

/ ... waitaminit ... waitaminit ... ok, there, I'm gone

SOS 2 years, 2 months ago

Only to play in the rice. Never again.

autie 2 years, 2 months ago

I been to Canada. I been to Englander. I been to Oklahoma. I been to Texas. So four. I been to four foreigner countries.

Gandalf 2 years, 2 months ago

Sounds like Kate was stalking me! And now she's in Lawrence!! (Please email)!!!!!

labmonkey 2 years, 2 months ago

A 75% redhead OTS. Excellent job LJworld.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 2 months ago

There really isn't much I haven't done. I've seen a rich man beg, I've seen a good man sin, I've seen a tough man cry. I've seen a loser win, and a sad man grin. I heard an honest man lie. I've seen the good side of bad, and the down side of up, and everything between. I licked the silver spoon, drank from the golden cup, n’ smoked the finest green. I stroked the baddest dimes at least a couple of times before I broke they heart. You know where it ends. Yo, it usually depends on where ya start.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 2 months ago

Yep. I just stepped outside a few minutes ago. I may not need to wear a shirt again till next winter. Thank you, Al Gore !

rockchalker52 2 years, 2 months ago

On the fambly vacations we'd visit kin down SW & walk over to Juarez for sombreros & trinkets. That was way before the cartels who will now kill you dead. Interesting times in Nogales & Naco during the army. Now I don't have a passport so I caint go nowheres.

RedOctober 2 years, 2 months ago

Why would I want to leave the greatest country on earth? If I stepped into the EU, I would be considered a communist. Why would I want such a terrible burden on my conscience?

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago