Previous   Next

Would you watch a movie just because it was shot in the area?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 W. Sixth St. on January 25, 2012

Browse the archives

“I think it’d be interesting.”

“Sure. I’ve never seen a locally made movie, but I’d watch it.”

“I’m not a scary movie fan, but I’d watch it.”

“Yes.”

“It depends on the movie. ”

Related story

Comments

kansanbygrace 2 years, 2 months ago

Just thought of one that deserves mention. Lawrence's own Centron Films was nominated for an Academy Award for The Leo Buermann Story. Written and produced right here in River City.

thuja 2 years, 2 months ago

"Suspension" was filmed in and around Lawrence, Kansas City, and Topeka.

ivalueamerica 2 years, 2 months ago

-AIR: The Musical -The Battle for Bunker Hill -Carnival of Souls -Cross of Fire -C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America -The Day After -Earthwork -An Easy Grand -Kansas -Linda Lovelace for President -Mars Attacks! -Nice Girls Don’t Explode -Prime Cut -Suspension -Terminal Interface -Where Pigeons Go to Die

Antonym 2 years, 2 months ago

Those films taken at the Y are always hard to ID.

tange 2 years, 2 months ago

Ron say: 'Carnival of Souls', 'The Day After', 'Kansas', and 'Nice Girls Don't Explode' came to mind.

Ah, yes, the Trilogy of Terror. Gearing up for a Groundhog Day marathon.

/ ... that's a lie, tange

SOS 2 years, 2 months ago

I miss the era Easy Rider was filmed in. We watch it at least twice a year. At my age a real trip might wind up being a one way ticket.

jaywalker 2 years, 2 months ago

I have. It was "Kansas." Actually hung out with Matt Dillon a bit, he'd come in late night at VI and hang around in back with me and the graveyard cook, drinkin' and smokin' non-filters. Couple of my girlfriends 'dated' him, too. He was cool. McCarthy was a vodka swillin' sot, though. Never saw him w/out a Big Gulp full, day or night. Kyra Sedgwick was smokin' hot and incredibly nice.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 2 months ago

Oops, I guess they did film this here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqz2rekeYMc

Look, I'm totally freaked out by the Babboy/BoB love fest today. I'm off to the Shenago, where men are men and you can get a 24oz. draft and a shot of well bourbon for $5. Good Day!

Rara_Avis 2 years, 2 months ago

"Man, I do not even go to movies" Babboy

"I'm with you."- BoB

You are?! WTH?!! Are they giving free lobotomies today?

Rara_Avis 2 years, 2 months ago

Irrelevant question. No movies have or will be filmed here. Nothing ever happnes here. Just accept it as a decent town to live in, unlike Hollywood. Much like the fictional Quantril's Raid, "The Day After" didn't happen here. It was filmed on the ISU campus in Ames, IA. They just said it was in Kansas. Slash is gonna film his Stull Cemetary movie in New Orleans, because it's much cooler than here. I think I could take Slash in a fight, but I wouldn't fight him because he rocks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRJq8R...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 2 months ago

Dammit Alex, You need to reprimand Alex for linking the wrong article in the Related Story area just under the respondents photos.

Dispersant 2 years, 2 months ago

Here's a link to the movie (an article about) that the poll is referencing...

http://www.kansan.com/news/2012/jan/25/filmmaker-lawrence/?n (“The Sublime and the Beautiful” from director Blake Robbins)

The Slash movie about Stull is not being filmed locally.

labmonkey 2 years, 2 months ago

I heard they are making Godzilla vs. the Gigantic Spambot in Lawrence. The town is razed worse than in "The Day After" as Godzilla flees the Spambot. It ends with the Oread Hotel crushed by Godzilla falling to his death because he just cannot handle the thousands of repetitions of anti-Bush/Reagan posts.

CWGOKU 2 years, 2 months ago

Tomorrow's question , What are you reading? Or better to get responses, What was Brownback reading during Obama's State of the Union address?

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 2 months ago

"Man, I do not even go to movies" Babboy

I'm with you. I've been to a theater once in the past seven years and that was to take my kid to Cars 2 (speaking of crappy movies.)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 2 months ago

autie, Taps was the last good movie for a bunch of people. The future scientologist, Hutton, and that skanky trollop popping, communist loving ambASSador.

prospector 2 years, 2 months ago

It depends on where in the area it was shot and does conceal/carry really matter.

Somebody was filming in the brewery a couple weeks ago. I would watch that.

BABBOY 2 years, 2 months ago

Actually the last 4 sucked as Jedi sucked as well.

BABBOY 2 years, 2 months ago

Man, I do not even go to movies. Maybe Stars Wars or something but the last three sucked so probably not.

autie 2 years, 2 months ago

R_I, you make Sean so sad.

I still like to watch the early scenes in "In Cold Blood" when Baretta and that other guy are driving down old highway 50. There are the shots of the city limit signs for Gardner and Edgerton. And the KC area scenes.. Like a history lesson....and what I-35 looked like before interstates.

trinity 2 years, 2 months ago

It'll be fun to see...this is in reference to a proposed film project about Stull, right?

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 2 months ago

Is there a movie being filmed here now? It seems like this movie question/poll is coming up often.

rockchalker52 2 years, 2 months ago

'A Matter of Justice', a tv movie with Martin Sheen & Patty Duke was filmed in these parts. I watched because I know the guy whose house they used. He got some pretty spiffy improvements out of the deal.

kansanbygrace 2 years, 2 months ago

Hey, part of "The Last of the Blue Devils" was filmed here, too. It still bears watching. Love seeing the old jazzers and hearing Basie's big band in Hoch Auditorium.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 2 months ago

No, However, I did watch "Suspension", but I walked out of "Falcon and the Snowman".

LadyJ 2 years, 2 months ago

Wasn't part of Michael Landon's film 'Where Pigeons Go to Die' filmed just outside Lawrence? I seem to remember that. I've also read some of it was filmed around Baldwin too.

appleaday 2 years, 2 months ago

There was also a made for TV movie about a neo-nazi group, filmed in the late 80s, early 90s I think.

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

I did watch "Carnival of Souls" but didn't realize it was filmed here until I started noticing familiar landmarks and my junior high principal . . .

Also "The Day After" since part of it was filmed in a building I worked in. And I also believed at the time we were a blink of the eye from being nuclear fallout . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

Thanks Did_I, I've often suspected it. Haven't we all . . .

although I lean more to the "take the blue pill" train of thinking . .

or "we're all cattle for some alien buffet" . . .

My_Life 2 years, 2 months ago

Dr. Jack Van Impe and his wife Rexanne are really good tonight, like every night. Someday they may be as great as the late Dr Jerry. No, I would not watch any movie shot in the armpit of the midwest.

Bill Lee 2 years, 2 months ago

Generally, yes, but it depends on the movie. I was in "The Day After" and have it on DVD so I watch it every couple of years. I audition whenver I know a movie is going to be shot here. I didn't know about this one in advance.

Odeo 2 years, 2 months ago

However, an interesting question. As far as I recall two movies have been "filmed" in or around Lawrence. "THE DAY AFTER" and "KANSAS". Both very "B" movies. And, I would not watch either again.

BTW - Matt Dillon is about 5'4 and Andrew McCarthy just about drank the town dry while staying at the Eldridge while making "KANSAS." I think they chose the Eldridge based on "Clyde's" first caper in bank robbery...right....

• Odeo

BTW - thanks Alex. You ROCK, man!!

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 2 months ago

My answer is yes, I've watched two movies that were filmed here, and I'm going to watch another someday.

I watched 'Carnival of Souls' a few times.

And, I watched 'The Day After' on TV when it was a rather old movie. While I watched it, I thought about the time I was driving across the Massachusetts Street bridge while the filming was going on. The driver right in front of me was distracted by the sight of refugees living in tents amidst the devastation of a nuclear war, and he crashed into the car in front of him.

But that's not all! I also saw 'Kansas' being filmed, but I haven't watched it yet. It was pretty interesting to see the big movie camera on an elevated platform shooting a movie through a second floor window of the building just south of the Opera House.

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 2 months ago

"Would you watch a movie just because it was shot in the area?"

Wouldn't it be more humane to take it to a doctor? Even Darth "Dick Cheney" Vader did that much after shooting his hunting buddy.

Good grief.

geoismeo 2 years, 2 months ago

I watched them film parts of the atomic war movie and a scene from Linda Lovelace for president here in Lawrence. I was in neither movie, but had I been given the choice,...

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

Actually, my answer would be no. As far as being in it? Nevah!

(It's a witness protection thing)