Previous   Next

Would you watch a movie just because it was shot in the area?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 W. Sixth St. on January 25, 2012

Browse the archives

“I think it’d be interesting.”

“Sure. I’ve never seen a locally made movie, but I’d watch it.”

“I’m not a scary movie fan, but I’d watch it.”

“Yes.”

“It depends on the movie. ”

Related story

Comments

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

Actually, my answer would be no. As far as being in it? Nevah!

(It's a witness protection thing)

geoismeo 2 years, 10 months ago

I watched them film parts of the atomic war movie and a scene from Linda Lovelace for president here in Lawrence. I was in neither movie, but had I been given the choice,...

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 10 months ago

My answer is yes, I've watched two movies that were filmed here, and I'm going to watch another someday.

I watched 'Carnival of Souls' a few times.

And, I watched 'The Day After' on TV when it was a rather old movie. While I watched it, I thought about the time I was driving across the Massachusetts Street bridge while the filming was going on. The driver right in front of me was distracted by the sight of refugees living in tents amidst the devastation of a nuclear war, and he crashed into the car in front of him.

But that's not all! I also saw 'Kansas' being filmed, but I haven't watched it yet. It was pretty interesting to see the big movie camera on an elevated platform shooting a movie through a second floor window of the building just south of the Opera House.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 10 months ago

'Carnival of Souls', 'The Day After', 'Kansas', and 'Nice Girls Don't Explode' came to mind.

With research, I discovered that 'About Schmidt' was filmed here in 2002. It couldn't be a very good movie though, because you can buy the DVD for $1.10. For comparison, 'Carnival of Souls' sells for $3.55.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 10 months ago

"About Schmidt" was set at KU but was not filmed here.

And Andrew McCarthy was red eyed every time I saw him that summer. The Eldridge bartenders loved it when he came in. Ka-ching!

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 10 months ago

MarcoPogo, I used this for my source. That does not mean it's actually true, though.

Bill Lee 2 years, 10 months ago

Generally, yes, but it depends on the movie. I was in "The Day After" and have it on DVD so I watch it every couple of years. I audition whenver I know a movie is going to be shot here. I didn't know about this one in advance.

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

Thanks Did_I, I've often suspected it. Haven't we all . . .

although I lean more to the "take the blue pill" train of thinking . .

or "we're all cattle for some alien buffet" . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

I did watch "Carnival of Souls" but didn't realize it was filmed here until I started noticing familiar landmarks and my junior high principal . . .

Also "The Day After" since part of it was filmed in a building I worked in. And I also believed at the time we were a blink of the eye from being nuclear fallout . . .

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 10 months ago

The things that cracked me up about 'The Day After' was watching the nuclear missiles shooting up north of the KU football stadium, the man trying to thumb a ride down Massachusetts Street, and the terrific traffic jam when everyone was trying to exit to get to Eudora.

appleaday 2 years, 10 months ago

There was also a made for TV movie about a neo-nazi group, filmed in the late 80s, early 90s I think.

LadyJ 2 years, 10 months ago

Wasn't part of Michael Landon's film 'Where Pigeons Go to Die' filmed just outside Lawrence? I seem to remember that. I've also read some of it was filmed around Baldwin too.

WTF 2 years, 10 months ago

Yes. Some was filmed just north of Lawrence. Some of it was filmed in Reno.

Also, The movie Ride With The Devil (with Tobey McGuire) was filmed around Lawrence, Tonganoxie, Leavenworth, and others.

kansanbygrace 2 years, 10 months ago

Hey, part of "The Last of the Blue Devils" was filmed here, too. It still bears watching. Love seeing the old jazzers and hearing Basie's big band in Hoch Auditorium.

rockchalker52 2 years, 10 months ago

'A Matter of Justice', a tv movie with Martin Sheen & Patty Duke was filmed in these parts. I watched because I know the guy whose house they used. He got some pretty spiffy improvements out of the deal.

riverdrifter 2 years, 10 months ago

I haven't heard of anything. There was a group from LA through Baldwin last summer looking for locations to shoot but no feedback whatsoever on it.

trinity 2 years, 10 months ago

It'll be fun to see...this is in reference to a proposed film project about Stull, right?

riverdrifter 2 years, 10 months ago

They shot some other scenes around Edgerton but they never made it into the movie.

rockchalker52 2 years, 10 months ago

grumble, another lead balloon. why they bait & switch my vids on me? me no unnerstand. dark side shenanigans? click on 'Jabba's Laugh' instead.

labmonkey 2 years, 10 months ago

I heard they are making Godzilla vs. the Gigantic Spambot in Lawrence. The town is razed worse than in "The Day After" as Godzilla flees the Spambot. It ends with the Oread Hotel crushed by Godzilla falling to his death because he just cannot handle the thousands of repetitions of anti-Bush/Reagan posts.

Dispersant 2 years, 10 months ago

Here's a link to the movie (an article about) that the poll is referencing...

http://www.kansan.com/news/2012/jan/25/filmmaker-lawrence/?n (“The Sublime and the Beautiful” from director Blake Robbins)

The Slash movie about Stull is not being filmed locally.

jaywalker 2 years, 10 months ago

I have. It was "Kansas." Actually hung out with Matt Dillon a bit, he'd come in late night at VI and hang around in back with me and the graveyard cook, drinkin' and smokin' non-filters. Couple of my girlfriends 'dated' him, too. He was cool. McCarthy was a vodka swillin' sot, though. Never saw him w/out a Big Gulp full, day or night. Kyra Sedgwick was smokin' hot and incredibly nice.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 10 months ago

tange, I am becoming suspicious. I think you actually know me personally. That narrows you down to hundreds of people, if indeed that is the case. That's all right though, let's keep it a secret, OK?

I like mysteries.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 10 months ago

They were not taken at the Y. They were taken in the gym at the House of Representatives in Washington, DC. That's what I heard, anyway. Or maybe that was just some still shots of one of our illustrious Representatives.

ivalueamerica 2 years, 10 months ago

-AIR: The Musical -The Battle for Bunker Hill -Carnival of Souls -Cross of Fire -C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America -The Day After -Earthwork -An Easy Grand -Kansas -Linda Lovelace for President -Mars Attacks! -Nice Girls Don’t Explode -Prime Cut -Suspension -Terminal Interface -Where Pigeons Go to Die

riverdrifter 2 years, 10 months ago

I saw that link. They (or you) left off 'Kansas City', the Altman film.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 10 months ago

'C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America' is an excellent film, and I highly recommend it to anyone.

About two years ago I had the privilege of watching a showing of it at Baker University, and afterwards Kevin Willmott, who wrote and directed it, gave a talk which was followed by a question and answer session.

He is an associate professor in the Film and Media Studies department here at KU, and I have often wondered if the students he teaches really appreciate how lucky they are to have him for a professor.

As for the other films on the list, the only other one that has any social statement at all to make is 'The Day After', which I thought was actually a pretty good film.

I believe that the rest of the films on the list are nothing more than entertainment, which is not a bad thing, but you're not going to learn anything or change any of your attitudes from watching them.

kansanbygrace 2 years, 10 months ago

Just thought of one that deserves mention. Lawrence's own Centron Films was nominated for an Academy Award for The Leo Buermann Story. Written and produced right here in River City.