Previous   Next

What do you think the unemployment rate is in Kansas? Do you think it’s generally getting better or getting worse?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 24, 2012

Browse the archives

“I think it’s getting better, slowly but surely. It’s not across the board, but some areas are getting better.”

“Actually I think (the unemployment rate) is low, it’s just harder to find a job. ”

“It’s probably up from 10 years ago, but at present, I’m not worried about it.”

“Statewide, I think it’s gotten worse, especially in the last few months.”

Related story

Comments

Richard Heckler 2 years, 2 months ago

Gov Sam Brownback did his share taking unemployment numbers up up up beyond belief.

Gov Sam Brownback and local government leaders believe unloading hard workers makes the economy stronger ...... I question that approach. Why?

After laying off tons of people not only does it create customer service problems it also creates more employee terminations as a result of all the people being laid off from good government jobs. Not to mention taking economic growth down the tubes.

grammaddy 2 years, 2 months ago

Low enough for the state to be disqualified for any more extensions.

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

I only found one on the list by someone in Cottonwood Falls. You might be surprised what does show up on the list . . . among other places . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

Gone? Well at least I got some more hard copy to give to my friends at 11th and Mass

;-)

autie 2 years, 2 months ago

And that RoedApple you better stick to your yard for target practice and not be down around the river shooting them dang guns..you might accidently shoot three holes in some unknown tractor. Are there any kayaks for sale this week on the list?

Flap Doodle 2 years, 2 months ago

What was the deal with the fakegucci thing that shows up in the popular stories window? Are the lousy, rotten spammers getting bolder?

Rara_Avis 2 years, 2 months ago

Creed? The very word Creed? Anything Creed? Bleck!!!!!!! I agree. I think Michael Buble or Josh Groban could really tear loose on "Sweet Child". Thanks for the info, dude. I knew you were my go to guy.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 2 months ago

Who the hell is singing in that Slash video? Somedude? Any clue? He looks like an apeface Baldwin brother. Stephen maybe. Whatever, I'll take him over Axhole Rose any day. At least this guy shows up, probably on time, too.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 2 months ago

Ronaldo is a cross between Macgyver and the Unabomber. He could build a tank out of tin foil and some hot wheels. The question is whether he uses his toys for good or evil.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 2 months ago

In other news, Slash is not coming to Lawrence. His movie will not be filmed in Stull or Lawrence. I don't want to hear anything more about it. However, I now have the absolute coolest ringtone on my phone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H3nSlRLDhI&ob=av3n

Rara_Avis 2 years, 2 months ago

prospector, I know exactly what you're talking about. I think hatterbatter exploded out of my stomach a couple times. Seriously, that place stunk. Bad. It had to be either the hatter batter or Essence of Sorority Girls.

autie 2 years, 2 months ago

Did you know that Ronaldo can make a taser out of a disposable camera and a roll of tape?

somedude20 2 years, 2 months ago

Congrats to the LJW for finding 4 people on Mass St who are employed! Tough thing to do kind of like finding a grey hair on a sasquatch monster

prospector 2 years, 2 months ago

Rara

Hatterbatter is the beer, etc. that made you stick to or slipped on the floor. It was the reason you fell down there, the floor tripped you.

My_Life 2 years, 2 months ago

Are you crawling back to your corner?

Rara_Avis 2 years, 2 months ago

Sweet vid, prospector! "Love Rollercoaster" is a stone groove. I used to skate to that at the skating rink on 23rd St. back in the day. However, I have no recollection of Hatterball. I did used to get really drunk and throw up a lot at the Hatter, especially on drink and drown night. Every Thursday, $5 cover, all the beer you could drink. I always grabbed 2 cups on the way in. I think I threw up because I drowned on the stale beer that Proprietor Compton had to get rid of.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 2 months ago

Static. The employment situation in this town hasn't changed since I moved back here in '96. Nobody pays a living wage in this town. Why would they when they have 30,000 students that will work for beer money? A lot of companies tout "benefits". Benefits are great, but they won't pay the rent/mortgage. I fell into the Sallie Mae trap for awhile back then. Couldn't even pay my rent. Then Sallie Mae left skid marks on this town and morphed into DST/BFDS. DST got the usual tax break from the city, contingent on them employing x number of people. Low and behold, in 2008 the LJW publish a story revealing that x number of DST employees were by and large part time students with no benefits. On and on and on. Nothing's changed.

prospector 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm busy, so this would be a question for the Magic Eight Ball cause speaking in generalities would be foolish. Just look at Bea's last "Damn Bea!" moment.

Made me think of this song though. Gerald Ford "Whip Inflation Now" WIN and the "Hatterbatter" on the floor of the Mad Hatter.

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

10,000. Turns out it's no big deal . . .

autie 2 years, 2 months ago

In California it is illegal to shoot wild game from moving vehicles. With the exception of whales.

Certain legislators would like to shoot people from moving helicopters in Kansas. At least I can only assume the helio would be in motion at the time. I know Roe, I was rambling on topic...I'll try to watch myself. Kayaks.

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

CWGOKU 2 years, 2 months ago

Two Polish sausages, please, with mustard

autie 2 years, 2 months ago

5.9% is the state rate for December. Linn leads the pack with a whopping 12.4%. Wyandotte not so hot with 8.7%....but look at Douglas, 5%. These numbers for the state as a whole reflect vast improvement from 2010. The State economy is slowing creeping back up despite the failure policies of Mr. Jobs,jobs,jobs blowsalot. It will be interesting to see how things go with the Boeing loss and the alleged tax overhaul....if the legislature is stupid enough to pass it as blowsalot has proposed it. We will need a vastly improved economy to enough disposable income leftover to pay our property taxes after they skyrocket.

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

Ralph Shortey, a state senator from Oklahoma City, introduced a bill Tuesday that would ban the use of aborted human fetuses in food, conceding that he’s unaware of any company using this practice.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 2 months ago

autie 2 years, 2 months ago

It is better today than is was a year ago, which then was better than the previous year. Unless you live in Linn county.

And I know waaaayy toooo many people that are sitting and not even actively seeking work while drawing unemployment insurance. Deadbeat welfare attitude is alive and thriving. They somehow think they earned it.

tange 2 years, 2 months ago

I "think" the unemployment rate in Kansas represents the number of unemployed as a percentage of the labor force. Hopefully, it is getting more accurate.

Odeo 2 years, 2 months ago

Realistically, around 16%. For those whom are no longer accounted for on unemployment and those that normally work for "cash and carry" in trades due to seasonal work. - Odeo

...let me guess...this comment will be removed.... Alex??

Odeo 2 years, 2 months ago

“Actually I think (the unemployment rate) is low, it’s just harder to find a job. ”

and “It’s probably up from 10 years ago, but at present, I’m not worried about it.”

Sharp as a marble on both opines.... - Odeo

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

I did get offered a job yesterday, (two actually) if I accept either one it will be the fourth time I will have come out of retirement since '01.

Gandalf 2 years, 2 months ago

Roed's on the right track. The employment rate should be published by age group. Good thing there are anti-discrimination laws! (sarcasm)

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 2 months ago

It is at 0.0%; I am working. It must be getting better; I have two jobs. I would rather have one job that paid that same as two, though.

ericoconnell 2 years, 2 months ago

My_Life 2 years, 2 months ago

Even Jesus is looking for work these days.

pace 2 years, 2 months ago

No thanks to Koch oh I mean governor Brownsam. i think the job situation is getting better. President Obama has a lot more work to do. President Obama should be standing up for jobs and homes, for that matter, while it is unlikely to happen, the republicans should be standing up for jobs and homes.

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

Higher than reported. I know of several people who gave up and started taking Soc. Sec. at 62 because they hadn't found work in over a year.