Previous   Next

Would you support a measure to allow potbellied pigs as pets?

Asked at Dillons, 3000 W. Sixth St. on January 17, 2012

Browse the archives

“I think so. They’re known to be good pets, I believe, but they can destroy yards. I don’t see an issue with it unless it infringes on neighbors.”

“I don’t see a problem with it.”

“If you want a pig as a pet, sure, you should be allowed.”

“I’d support that. I had a pet pig when I was younger and would like to have a teacup pig. The most unusual pet I had was an armadillo.”

Related story

Comments

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

I had a boa constrictor once. They can get by on one big meal per year.

A large dog . . .

A calf . . .

The bully that lived two blocks over . . .

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

Heck, I am a potbellied pig. John's right. My yard is pretty messed up.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 11 months ago

Oink,

Oink oink oink oink oink, oink oink. Oink oink oink oink oink oink oink oink oink!

oink oink -Oink

Flap Doodle 2 years, 11 months ago

Why not? Your average pig is better behaved than many of the children I see out in public.

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

Late 1980's. St. Patty's Day. Johnny's Bar & Grill. This guy brought a potbelly into the bar. He'd dyed it green. It just sat by the door & watched the parade. Pretty sure it was the lone sober customer in the joint.

ljwhirled 2 years, 11 months ago

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

My friend, Gus, grew up on a pig farm. One time, before they'd kicked him out, he took three little piglets to school & let them loose in the auditorium. He'd painted the numbers 1, 2 & 4 on 'em. All the teachers went nuts trying to find #3.

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

Potbellies might prove handy for food stamps, officially known as the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program - or SNAP for short.

H_Lecter 2 years, 11 months ago

A deceased friend left their pig for me to care for; I named it Carnita.

Bill Lee 2 years, 11 months ago

I used to have a pet coconut. It never had to be fed. It was well-behaved. I'd use my belt as a leash and take it for walks. I eventually threw it onto the field at a football game in the heat of a moment. People should be allowed to have the pets that work for them.

LadyJ 2 years, 11 months ago

"People should be allowed to have the pets that work for them." A mental picture of a pot belly pig hooked up to a cart flashed in my mind. Hey, how about a pig sled team instead of dog sled team?

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Somebody else can go out to get the paper this morning. My bacon is stayin' in.

5 degrees . . . brrrrrrr!

BruceWayne 2 years, 11 months ago

What about Zebras? Such a nice gentle animal.

looza 2 years, 11 months ago

my sister has a potbellied pig.......its her husband!

Flap Doodle 2 years, 11 months ago

Small business pigs are to travel on multiple routes for various purposes that may vary and they use alternative pig and courtesy pigs.

50YearResident 2 years, 11 months ago

If I were a landlord, there would never be a pot belly pig in one of my rentals, never, ever! I think the pig this story is about will destroy the apartment (or home) that he is currently living in and if you pass the owner on the street you will be able to identify him by smell alone. Pet damage deposits will go sky high as well.

Eugehne Normandin 2 years, 11 months ago

I hope my chicken hating neighbor dislikes pigs screw you Wilson

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

As usual & rightfully so, this OTS thread is failing rapidly which begs the question: Would you like to see more answers to some of the questions posted by jimjones the other day? No? Too bad cuz I already drank the kool-aid.

jj question #11 – If you could pick the sex of your children, would you do it? I wouldn’t do it, but that’s a stumper as to why not. Seems wrong.

jj question #12 - Have you ever been arrested? Nope. Thank you for not asking ‘Should you have ever been arrested?’

jj question #13 – Have you ever spent a night in jail? Never been incarcerated except for one of those charity ‘jails’ where your co-workers haul you off to a 'celebrity' hoosegow & you waste the rest of the work day trying to raise ‘bail money’ for some good cause. Can be a tad humbling when, after 4 or 5 hours, you’re still in there.

jj question #14 – Do you hide things in your bedroom drawers? Yah, right. I got $5,000 dollars, two vibrators & a butt plug hidden in the fleshlight under my argyles.

jj question #15 – Do you speed up for yellow lights? No, I speed up for green lights, but only after sitting at the red ones.

jj question #16 – Are people following you? Only the ones waiting behind me at the red lights.

jj question #17 – Are there voices in your head? Quiet, everybody! I’m tryin’ to think!

jj question #18 – If you witnessed someone using the facilities without washing their hands, would you remind them? Prolly not unless it was gonna affect me more than indirectly. Every time this subject arises, I am reminded of Babboy’s answer about hand washing. Besides thinking it was a flipping stupid question, he said he washes (to paraphrase) after using the restroom, before eating, and after shaking hands with a republican. Comedy gold for sure.

You read all this? Really? Well, thanks for playing. G'nite, Gracie.