Previous   Next

What do you know about Lawrence history?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 W. 23rd St. on January 14, 2012

Browse the archives

“A little about Quantrill’s Raid, and about the rock chalk chant, I think. The Jayhawk term used to be negative, so I think it’s interesting that now it’s a positive mascot.”

“More recently, one of my favorite directors worked here — Ang Lee with ‘Ride with the Devil.’ And ‘Carnival of Souls is another famous movie here. A lot of it was shot on Mass. Street.”

“I know it burned. And about the Kaw Valley Pickers in the 1970s — the state used to be more ‘hippy’ and liberal than it is now.”

“Nothing, I’m not from here.”

Related story

Comments

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

Lawrence is a city in Essex County, Massachusetts and was the home of Robert Frost.

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

Lawrence, Wisconsin was named after Amos Lawrence, founder of Lawrence College.

clubber1 2 years, 7 months ago

I was a huge fan of Leave it to Beaver and appreciate learning that hugh Beaumont was born in Lawrence.

clubber1 2 years, 7 months ago

rockchalker52 2 years, 7 months ago

The JW was once an afternoon paper delivered after school by BOBs (boys on bikes). Sorry about that screen door, Mrs. Harris.

From Hippy Haven's website

"Lawrence, Kansas - The place is very chill and down to earth. As much as marijuana seems to be a symbol of hippydom, i would have to say that Lawrence grows some of the finer buds in the states, of course next to Oregon and Boulder."

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

Sheriff Rex was the coolest sheriff . . . evah!

rockchalker52 2 years, 7 months ago

You once could smoke cigs in class at KU. Sometimes the air was so thick you couldn't even see the blackboard.

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

In 1965 a 17 year old could buy liquor three doors south of the police station on Vermont St.

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

Also in '65. Gas was 24 cents/gal but Jim Rissman's APCO stations were always pushing gas wars at 17.9 cents/gallon

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

Deborah Bryant was the hottest Miss Kansas/Miss America . . . evah!

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

Someone said mixing NyQuil and scotch makes you think things are crawling under your skin.

rockchalker52 2 years, 7 months ago

In between the time it was the Bierstube & its most recent reincarnation as Bullwinkle's, the bar at 14th & Tenn. was a watering hole for townies called The Beer Garden. The owner didn't care much for the college crowd, so he catered to all us indigent slacker types. Not a good business model. That guy floated more tabs than Timothy Leary. Nobody ever paid em off.

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

Hey R52 I'll catch you next time!

rockchalker52 2 years, 7 months ago

Thumbs up to that, dapper Dapple. Around the same time, You could also get 17 cent gas at Riggs Conoco, SW of 19th & Mass. They gonna sell milk there soon. Price per gallon is bit higher, I think.

Loki 2 years, 7 months ago

Nothing, I don't live there. I just enjoy most of the banter. Some is annoying.

Bill Lee 2 years, 7 months ago

I used to know a lot of Lawrence/KU trivia, but I'm old enough now that I've forgotten most of it. If I think of any later, I'll post it.

pace 2 years, 7 months ago

I don't consider the origin of the Jayhawk, negative, while it was violent.
Wikipedia Jayhawkers is a term that came to prominence just before the American Civil War in Bleeding Kansas, where it was adopted by militant bands affiliated with the free-state cause. These bands, known as "Jayhawkers", were guerrilla fighters who often clashed with pro-slavery groups from Missouri known at the time as "Border Ruffians". After the Civil War, the word "Jayhawker" became synonymous with the people of Kansas.

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

In 1872 the city of Jefferson, Kansas was changed to "North Lawrence"

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

Disapearededed comments are badges of honor. No whining.

LadyJ 2 years, 7 months ago

I wish they would change the Old Home Town to 40 years, 100 years, and maybe 120 or 125 years. I do know that there was a second Masonic Order for African Americans, since they weren't allowed to join the one for white people. Their hall was nothing like the one on Mass.

rockchalker52 2 years, 7 months ago

"...and Ace still ran the club." autie

Used to unwind there after a hard night of tossin' boxes at the K-farm. Missed a George Carlin sighting by half an hour. Dammit.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 7 months ago

There was this guy that knew this other guy...

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

The sand bars seven miles west of Lawrence have an extended history of parties. And golf. Ball. Shooting.

Chris Ogle 2 years, 7 months ago

Years ago, I could afford to live in Lawrence.

deec 2 years, 7 months ago

Those were the days, weren't they? I miss home sometimes, but can't afford to live there anymore.

beatrice 2 years, 7 months ago

I know Bonnie and Clyde stopped in Lawrence and had lunch at Tellers.

rockchalker52 2 years, 7 months ago

Lawrence O'Donnell has a really big head. Don't know how he keeps that melon upright on his tiny stick body.

clubber1 2 years, 7 months ago

Coming from the Detroit area I have learned alot about the auto executives. The CEO of Ford Motor Company, Alan Mullally, was born and raised in Lawrence. He earned an undergraduate degree from KU.

dcap 2 years, 7 months ago

There was another big film that was shot in Lawrence that no one ever mentions. Prime Cut with Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman has several scenes shot in Lawrence and has the LHS marching band. The movie is not very flattering to the mid west, but it is still worth watching. I always wondered why no one ever mentions it?

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

Nobody likes history, nobody. First you study history for . . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

moral autie, not oral . . just sayin' . . .

er . . maybe they go hand in hand?

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

Let me be the first on the list for a '67 vette if they pull one outa the river. But no kayaks. I dislike kayaks.

Intensely.

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

I just set the griddle at 325 and go for it. Yesterday morning it was 3 lbs. of bacon, 40 buttermilk biscuits (oven preheated to 375 then 26 minutes of bake time), 3 dozen eggs scrambled with a little salt and grated cheese, coffee and orange juice. Oh, 6 quart pan of sausage gravy, one of the best batches I ever made. One hour later 16 hungry dudes had scarfed it up, hardly any leftovers. Now I wish I had talked a few of 'em to help me paint. Dammit.

classclown 2 years, 7 months ago

What do you know about Lawrence history?

That it's in the past and a lot of people in Lawrence are still living in it.

begin60 2 years, 7 months ago

I always hear a ridiculous laudatory version in which the people of Lawrence are presented as heroes of equality, freedom, and civil rights--I guess touching on the state's role in the Civil Rights and its position on slavery--hardly jibes with my personal experience. I've been brutalized in this nasty town by evil liars and lousy morons.

begin60 2 years, 7 months ago