Previous   Next

What do you know about Lawrence history?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 W. 23rd St. on January 14, 2012

Browse the archives

“A little about Quantrill’s Raid, and about the rock chalk chant, I think. The Jayhawk term used to be negative, so I think it’s interesting that now it’s a positive mascot.”

“More recently, one of my favorite directors worked here — Ang Lee with ‘Ride with the Devil.’ And ‘Carnival of Souls is another famous movie here. A lot of it was shot on Mass. Street.”

“I know it burned. And about the Kaw Valley Pickers in the 1970s — the state used to be more ‘hippy’ and liberal than it is now.”

“Nothing, I’m not from here.”

Related story

Comments

begin60 2 years, 2 months ago

I always hear a ridiculous laudatory version in which the people of Lawrence are presented as heroes of equality, freedom, and civil rights--I guess touching on the state's role in the Civil Rights and its position on slavery--hardly jibes with my personal experience. I've been brutalized in this nasty town by evil liars and lousy morons.

begin60 2 years, 2 months ago

classclown 2 years, 3 months ago

What do you know about Lawrence history?

That it's in the past and a lot of people in Lawrence are still living in it.

tange 2 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence history doesn't hold a candle to herstory.

g_rock 2 years, 3 months ago

If I can't have Elvis' breakfast, I damn sure wish that I could have some Taos Eggs at Paradise and a Bloody Mary. That was great Lawrence history.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

The opening sequence of "Linda Lovelace For President" was shot on the Hill. Lots of Campanile shots in the background. But she only did full frontal nudity, none of her trademark "guy who outed Watergate" stuff. Horrible movie.

autie 2 years, 3 months ago

moral autie? No thanks. Oral autie? Maybe.

I'm just sayin you are more likely to find a kayak on the bottom of the Kaw than a car. Kayaks with holes in them about the size of golf balls and/or .308 inches.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

Elvis's breakfast often consisted of a henhouse(12 egg) omelet and 2 lbs(48 slices <>) of bacon. He kept his bedroom at a constant 50 degrees and had a full size refrigerator full of yogurt in there, too.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

I just set the griddle at 325 and go for it. Yesterday morning it was 3 lbs. of bacon, 40 buttermilk biscuits (oven preheated to 375 then 26 minutes of bake time), 3 dozen eggs scrambled with a little salt and grated cheese, coffee and orange juice. Oh, 6 quart pan of sausage gravy, one of the best batches I ever made. One hour later 16 hungry dudes had scarfed it up, hardly any leftovers. Now I wish I had talked a few of 'em to help me paint. Dammit.

prospector 2 years, 3 months ago

Don't worry about the temp, just use plenty of butter.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

What temp do you cook bacon strips to?

Gandalf 2 years, 3 months ago

Let's see. Quantrill was a Lawrence school teacher. Burned down Lawrence and killed 150 men in retaliation for burning a Missouri town and bombing a hotel in KC killing a bunch of wives.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Let me be the first on the list for a '67 vette if they pull one outa the river. But no kayaks. I dislike kayaks.

Intensely.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

moral autie, not oral . . just sayin' . . .

er . . maybe they go hand in hand?

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Nobody likes history, nobody. First you study history for . . . .

dcap 2 years, 3 months ago

There was another big film that was shot in Lawrence that no one ever mentions. Prime Cut with Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman has several scenes shot in Lawrence and has the LHS marching band. The movie is not very flattering to the mid west, but it is still worth watching. I always wondered why no one ever mentions it?

clubber1 2 years, 3 months ago

Coming from the Detroit area I have learned alot about the auto executives. The CEO of Ford Motor Company, Alan Mullally, was born and raised in Lawrence. He earned an undergraduate degree from KU.

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence O'Donnell has a really big head. Don't know how he keeps that melon upright on his tiny stick body.

autie 2 years, 3 months ago

During the middle 70's many a young woman engaged in moral turpitude.

I guess some things are ageless.....Heck, I hadn't even lived in Lawrence for more than two hours and I was across the hall at the neighbors....but I cain't tauk boutit nomore.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 3 months ago

During the early '80s many a young woman engaged in moral turpitude.

thuja 2 years, 3 months ago

Not if you want people to read and enjoy them :)

autie 2 years, 3 months ago

prosepector wrote:

I am wondering about the history of the car hauled out of the Kaw near the North Lawrence boat ramp yesterday.

autie writes: that wasn't a kayak by any chance was it? I haven't seen any craigslist for kayaks lately.

CWGOKU 2 years, 3 months ago

Could you be more specific?!

beatrice 2 years, 3 months ago

I know Bonnie and Clyde stopped in Lawrence and had lunch at Tellers.

Chris Ogle 2 years, 3 months ago

Years ago, I could afford to live in Lawrence.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

The sand bars seven miles west of Lawrence have an extended history of parties. And golf. Ball. Shooting.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 3 months ago

There was this guy that knew this other guy...

prospector 2 years, 3 months ago

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

"...and Ace still ran the club." autie

Used to unwind there after a hard night of tossin' boxes at the K-farm. Missed a George Carlin sighting by half an hour. Dammit.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 3 months ago

HR of Bad Brains brained a skinhead with his mic stand at the Bottleneck in, uh, mid-90s sometime.

LadyJ 2 years, 3 months ago

I wish they would change the Old Home Town to 40 years, 100 years, and maybe 120 or 125 years. I do know that there was a second Masonic Order for African Americans, since they weren't allowed to join the one for white people. Their hall was nothing like the one on Mass.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Disapearededed comments are badges of honor. No whining.

prospector 2 years, 3 months ago

Home to the first brewery in Kansas since prohibition.

its_just_math 2 years, 3 months ago

The past ten years? Alot. shuttering

autie 2 years, 3 months ago

Damn Rara, did you flop on the rocks last night?

The heyday was in the mid seventies....the 1970's that is. Nolan was playing and Ace still ran the club. Coolest of times. Too bad I didn't have the sense to appreciate it.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

In 1872 the city of Jefferson, Kansas was changed to "North Lawrence"

thuja 2 years, 3 months ago

“Nothing, I’m not from here.”

— Vince Obert, driller, Lawrence

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 3 months ago

"What do you know about Lawrence history?"

It repeats itself.

pace 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't consider the origin of the Jayhawk, negative, while it was violent.
Wikipedia Jayhawkers is a term that came to prominence just before the American Civil War in Bleeding Kansas, where it was adopted by militant bands affiliated with the free-state cause. These bands, known as "Jayhawkers", were guerrilla fighters who often clashed with pro-slavery groups from Missouri known at the time as "Border Ruffians". After the Civil War, the word "Jayhawker" became synonymous with the people of Kansas.

Bill Lee 2 years, 3 months ago

I used to know a lot of Lawrence/KU trivia, but I'm old enough now that I've forgotten most of it. If I think of any later, I'll post it.

Loki 2 years, 3 months ago

Nothing, I don't live there. I just enjoy most of the banter. Some is annoying.

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

Thumbs up to that, dapper Dapple. Around the same time, You could also get 17 cent gas at Riggs Conoco, SW of 19th & Mass. They gonna sell milk there soon. Price per gallon is bit higher, I think.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

Dick Stanwix was the coolest Police Chief, evah. My folks were firends with Gene and Maggie. A lot of my juvie mischief was cleared up with a phone call.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

Rex Johnson was not cool to me. At all. He called me on my teen line to get me to come down to the station with the other narcs and admit to violating a homecoming float. I was a minor. Dad gave Rex a beat down. Shoulda talked to Dad first, Rex.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Hey R52 I'll catch you next time!

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

In between the time it was the Bierstube & its most recent reincarnation as Bullwinkle's, the bar at 14th & Tenn. was a watering hole for townies called The Beer Garden. The owner didn't care much for the college crowd, so he catered to all us indigent slacker types. Not a good business model. That guy floated more tabs than Timothy Leary. Nobody ever paid em off.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Someone said mixing NyQuil and scotch makes you think things are crawling under your skin.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Deborah Bryant was the hottest Miss Kansas/Miss America . . . evah!

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Also in '65. Gas was 24 cents/gal but Jim Rissman's APCO stations were always pushing gas wars at 17.9 cents/gallon

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

In 1965 a 17 year old could buy liquor three doors south of the police station on Vermont St.

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

You once could smoke cigs in class at KU. Sometimes the air was so thick you couldn't even see the blackboard.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Sheriff Rex was the coolest sheriff . . . evah!

From Hippy Haven's website

"Lawrence, Kansas - The place is very chill and down to earth. As much as marijuana seems to be a symbol of hippydom, i would have to say that Lawrence grows some of the finer buds in the states, of course next to Oregon and Boulder."

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

The JW was once an afternoon paper delivered after school by BOBs (boys on bikes). Sorry about that screen door, Mrs. Harris.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

D.H. Lawrence wrote "Great Expectations". Or maybe it was Stephen King. Some hack wrote it.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence Taylor played for the New York Giants. Then he developed a nasty crack habit.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

“More recently, one of my favorite directors worked here — Ang Lee with ‘Ride with the Devil.’ And ‘Carnival of Souls is another famous movie here. A lot of it was shot on Mass. Street.”

Oh, please.......

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

Well, let's see. John Brown wasn't from here Neither was William Burroughs Hugh Beaumont(Ward Cleaver) was born here Quantril's Raid never happened Clyde Barrow never set foot in this state Wilt Chamberlain left because of the racism It's a haven for the homeless and hippies Sonny and Cher, the Beach Boys, Alice Cooper, the Doobie Bros., Cheap Trick, Kansas and Loverboy all played the fiedhouse Bob Marley, REM, Molly Hatchet, Bob Dylan, Pearl Jam, Joan Baez, and Ravi Shankar have all played here It's not a good town to be single in unless you're at KU There's too many white people, myself included. There's too many rich hippies There's a huge Good Ole' Boy Network Knology sucks So does the LJW So does Autie I was born here but I left. Shoulda stayed away. Now I'm too broke to leave.

Overall, I agree with Vince. Nothing. There's nothing memorable about Lawrence, but it was a cool town until about 1986.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence, Wisconsin was named after Amos Lawrence, founder of Lawrence College.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence is a city in Essex County, Massachusetts and was the home of Robert Frost.

profound 2 years, 3 months ago

They didn't teach that in the fourth grade.