Previous   Next

What do you think is the biggest issue facing Kansas in 2012?

Asked at Dillons, 3000 Sixth St. on January 11, 2012

Browse the archives

“The state of education funding. ”

“School funding and social services funding. ”

“Jobs. ”

“Brownback and the government itself.”

Related story

Comments

profound 2 years, 11 months ago

The huge division in opinion between inhabitants. Is that generic enough?

BABBOY 2 years, 11 months ago

Are you that law school guy with a Jefro Bodine icon?

bevy 2 years, 11 months ago

Why must one choose? Both are awesome!

killjoy 2 years, 11 months ago

Come on wake up people. The proliferation of roundabouts has completely change the landscape of the state.

labmonkey 2 years, 11 months ago

Border defense and border patrol... we must be vigilant of a Missouri invasion. IMHO, we should do a preemptive strike.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 11 months ago

Pollution from internal combustion lawnmowers

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Showers of # 8 shot from the FOP range at Lone Star. Geez, what hunter hasn't had a little shot rain down on him/her from hunters over in the adjoining field? Ya just let them know you're there and continue hunting.

(flippin' flappin' whiner crybabies!)

Flap Doodle 2 years, 11 months ago

Internet spammers, who are terrible, terrible people.

Shane Garrett 2 years, 11 months ago

On my list is the short fall funding for Kansas Public Employees Retirement System.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 11 months ago

Biscuits without gravy is a cruel mockery.

somedude20 2 years, 11 months ago

Are we talking about Kansas the state or Kansas the band? If it is the band, I would guess their biggest issue would be which one of them would drop dead next (ain't too many left now). As for the state, my biggest issue is the lack of decent looking down to earth single women between 30-40 years of age with no kiddos

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

Remember when margarine was called oleo? Once, I unloaded some groceries from the car trunk and, a coupla years later, sold the car. While cleaning out the trunk I found a container of margarine that had slipped down into the spare tire area. It'd gone through eight weather seasons & looked like it just came from the store. Yum.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

"virgin" or "extra virgin". If you buy the house brand I doubt if you can tell the difference Gary.

Brian Hall 2 years, 11 months ago

Here: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2012/jan... There are no names listed but why should there be? Would you want your sudden unemployment broadcast for all the city to judge?

Also, people getting laid off isn't news, it happens all the time. Massive layoffs are news if they affect a decent amount of the population. If people getting laid off was legitimate news then Vangent would have an article in the paper about their layoffs every six months.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Never did get a response on my application for Disapearededed Button Operator.

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

Biggest issue - How to answer all of the questions posted by jimjones the other day & how to get anybody to give a crap if I do.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Nah. You must have Adblocker Plus. The gray blocks are ads when you shut off adblocker.

H_Lecter 2 years, 11 months ago

Obesity, or as I like to call it marbling.

Shane Garrett 2 years, 11 months ago

Remember when oleo came with a yellowing agent, one mixed in to make it yellow?

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

Ok, here we go (and I don't give a crap if you don't give a crap)

jj question #1 - What instrument(S) can you play?

Can't play a single one unless you count two songs on the flutophone. I learned to play 'Dum Dum Diddy Dum' in the 4th grade, I think it was, and then, a few years back, I taught myself how to play 'Deck the Halls' on it. I even jazzed it up a bit. It almost sounds like I know what I'm doing. How much is a fifty-year-old flutophone worth, do ya s'pose? Probably not much since it's held together with electrical tape.

Now, I'm trying to learn how to play the harmonica. The dog hates it. I really suck at it & not in a good way. Rest easy, Lee McBee, rest easy.

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

Wally, I do remember that. Also, red dye #3 in the hot dogs. After they banned it, the frankfurters looked so scary. Now, I s'pose they'd look scary if they had that nasty stuff in them.

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

jj question #2 - What is your deepest secret? Ok, moving on...

jj question #3 - what is the worst thing you've ever done? That would be the toothless hooker in Naco, Mexico, 5 miles due south of Ft. Huachuca, AZ where I was stationed a whole lifetime ago.

jj question #4 - If you could vote anyone off the island, who would it be? The toothless hooker in Naco, Mexico, 5 miles due south of Ft. Huachuca, AZ where I was stationed a whole lifetime ago.

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

Since y'all went to bed early, I'll just carry on with some more nonsense for a little while because...well, because this ain't North Korea (from a source) & Ms. Crump is apparently asleep at the wheel.

jj question #5 - What is your BMI? I'd say it's pretty regular, prolly once a day in the morning unless I don't drink enough water or eat too many pistachios. Then it gets a little dicey. We're talkin' bowel movement increments, right?

jj question #6 - When did you have your last physical? Just had a physical exam about a few months ago. I love my doctor. After the nurse weighs me & checks my vitals, the doc comes in & he's automatically the smartest guy in the room.

Turns out I don't have any health problems, knock on wood, but I've reached the age where It's prudent to have a colonoscopy which I had just a coupla days ago. Most of you prolly know all about that stuff. You spend the day before prepping for the exam by ingesting fine products like a 64 oz. mixture of miralax followed by 10 oz of magnesium citrate & you're as clean as a whistle.

Went early in the morning for the procedure. All my buddys told me no worries, just go in, they'll put you under, you'll have a nice nap, then you wake up & get to go home. These medical folks are so impressive. What true professionals they are. The nurse got me situated, monitored my vitals & remarked at my relatively low heart rate of 50 beats per minute. 'You must be an athlete' she said.
'Uh, yeah, that's the ticket. I'm an athlete. Why, yes, yes I am.'

Shouldn't have fibbed about that because karma's a biatch as my heart rate dropped to 30 beats during the exam for some weird reason & they had to abort the procedure having only completed half of it. I had to go to LMH for a barium enema in the radiology dept. so they could take pics of the rest of it. You ain't lived 'til you've had one of those. The three young technicians performing this thankless task were awesome & two of 'em were really cute (sorry, Drew). Anyway, it's over with & I don't hafta do it again for a decade. Fascinating, I know, but this telling is very theraputic.
When it's your turn for a colonoscopy, ladies & germs, go ahead & have it done. My experience with it is very rare & a clean bill of health is a good thing to know.

bad_dog 2 years, 11 months ago

Nah, get 'em with the matte finish. That way the greasy fingerprints won't show.

jayhawklawrence 2 years, 11 months ago

I think Kansas is a great state with a lot of great people. We have some very unique treasures in this state.

That being said, I have seldom been proud of our leaders in government.

For me the biggest challenge for Kansas in 2012 is for our leaders to act in a manner that will make Kansans a little more proud of our state instead of being embarrassed.

At this point, Brownback should change his name to "Brown Nose" for the way he has been licking the boots of the Koch brothers and Rick Perry down in Texas.

Stop trying to "be like those other states" and start acting like a Man. Be someone that we can all start to be proud of or get the hell out of Dodge.