Previous   Next

What is your favorite way to eat pears?

Asked at Dillons, 4701 W. Sixth St. on January 9, 2012

Browse the archives

“We do what we like to call a ‘happy meal’ — dried Italian salami, brie, melba toast, pear slices and a really good Riesling.”

“I probably only eat a pear once every five years. I feel sorry for the pear. The apple definitely wins. ”

“Just slice and eat.”

Related story

Comments

Deja Coffin 2 years, 11 months ago

Ditto on the 1st sentence.... never had a H&D Royal Riviera

Bill Lee 2 years, 11 months ago

I prefer eating them raw. Unfortunately most pears in grocery stores aren't ripe.

Rae Hudspeth 2 years, 11 months ago

I first had it as Birne Helene in Germany, but I understand it's known as Poire Belle Helene over here. Pears Helene: sliced tinned pears w/ chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream is the easy way:

Noemon 2 years, 11 months ago

I eat pears the old fashioned way--by inserting my flexible, sharp-tipped proboscis into the fruit, pumping digestive fluids into it, waiting a few moments, and then sucking up the resulting slurry.

labmonkey 2 years, 11 months ago

These crappy OTS questions lately are a ploy by the LJworld overseers to keep people from commenting and getting off subject, thereby making it easier to TOS offending comments.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Could have been;

Do you feel safe when attending Air Shows?

Do you have a carbon monoxide detector in your basement?

Have you ever signed a protection order?

Or my pick of the day . . .

Have you ever urinated on a multi-million dollar painting?

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

No, but I did see U.P. on a rail car . . .

LadyJ 2 years, 11 months ago

When catching fish in the Kansas rivers and lakes do you eat them, throw them back, or give them to people you don't like?

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Fish in the river !?! No thanks, just "golf" . . .

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 11 months ago

Roe, you come up with the best answers every day, bet you were a fun cat in school, keep them coming

labmonkey 2 years, 11 months ago

Roe...

Yes, no basement, no, and no, but would like to.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Deere Gawd, don't encourage him! (troll #2)

thanks . . .

(must be the medication)

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Anybody remember HC Stuart? I probably spent more time studying outside of his office than at home or in class . . . just sayin' . . He didn't think I was funny.

(Yeah, yeah, my parents were so proud . . .)

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

This question reminds me of something I read some years ago, that is, Herbert Hoover's autobiography. He was the 31st president of the United States, and his life story is fascinating. That is obvious, because so many books have been written about him, in addition to his own autobiography. He was much, much more than only the president of the United States.

He was orphaned at the very young age of nine. At the age of eleven, he went to live with his uncle in Oregon, who had a pear farm.

Little Herbert was urged to eat as many of the pears as he wanted. After living in poverty, that was fantastic!

And after that, he didn't eat another pear for many years.

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

Flintlock speaketh the truth, although I might 'pear' the RoeDster with autie or rara. I could be in love with g_rock. I'm not but I could be.

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

HC suspended my sis for driving across the forty acres in our dad's '56 Buick. She was late for band practice & they had to go to war down a clarinet.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Back in the day I owned three '55 chevys. A wagon and a 'pair' of hard tops. Trashed three trannies in the green one, a four speed and a 'pair' of three speeds. Wish I had them back now. (The '55 chevys, not the trannies.)

Flap Doodle 2 years, 11 months ago

I am not a fan of the pear. I can hardly stand to be in the same room with somebody eating one. That's my story & I'm sticking to it.

verity 2 years, 11 months ago

Someone gave me pears for Christmas once. Who would do that? I found that they were edible if I microwaved and smushed them like apple sauce.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

If you had been a little bit more creative, you could have made Perry out of them, which is an alcoholic beverage made from fermented pears. It has been common for centuries in Britain.

Although, you are supposed to use certain varieties of pears to produce the best results. Did you check to see what kind of pears they were?

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

Yes it does, among with many other things that will give you a wonderful opportunity to spend a whole lot of time with your best buddy Bruno in your very own private room, paid for by the taxpayers.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

One of the strangest and most rude things that Mr. Hoffman suggested be done is to break into a church and rewire the Public Announcement system with a timer and a tape recorder.

Then, during Sunday morning services, the P.A. system was to announce:

"This is God. You really don't believe in Me, do you?"

Alex Parker 2 years, 11 months ago

There's nothing arbitrary about pulling about with offensive language.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

“If you want to know the taste of a pear, you must change the pear by eating it yourself. If you want to know the theory and methods of revolution, you must take part in revolution. All genuine knowledge originates in direct experience.” - Mao Tse-Tung

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

On a few occasions I have given investment advice on this forum. You might read my comments that follow the articles that I have linked below.

But, most penny stocks are nothing but scam operations. I know because I have been employed by at least a couple of them.

One of the best ways to make money on penny stocks is to offer your services for a fee and advise investors which penny stocks are likely to make the investors rich. When you have reached your desired financial goal, change your name and move away.

Another way to do it is to start a company, and be sure to incorporate it, that's based on smoke and mirrors. Impress the right people, and penny stock investors will part with their money very quickly. Be sure to pay yourself a very large salary all along, and when the investor's money is all gone, have the company declare bankruptcy. It's actually very easy to do. Legal, too.

But, every once in a while someone does make a large fortune on penny stocks. But to tell the truth, I think lottery tickets would be a better investment, unless you are in complete control of the company's operations and also understand what you and the company are doing very, very well.

blindrabbit 2 years, 11 months ago

we raise them, got 10 varieties. Bartlett, Dutchess, Moonglow, Seckel, Keifer, Bosc, Honeysweet, Comice, Asian, Anjou. Best eaten out of hand, but pears are funny, you have to pick them unripe, if you let them ripen on the tree, it's too late and will likely have already started to rot. But we all agree, the little Seckels are the best, followed by Bosc.

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

Dang, Jim! That is outstanding! Uh, I'll get back to ya.

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

profound, you should talk to Roe. I hear he knows all about changing gears.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

Yup, changing gears and pulling three. He's amazing.

Jay_lo 2 years, 11 months ago

Oh, I got wrapped up in a fantasy and forgot to answer the question. With a little of the juice and some cottage cheese.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

The last stick shift I drove had 13 forward gears and a Georgia Overdrive. 80,000 lbs. of rolling death. Truck tractor, three 28ft trailers and two jifs, 26 tires, three spares and 440 HP. But no pears. Unless they were canned.