Previous   Next

Do you think Lawrence should have public art installations?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 5, 2012

Browse the archives

“Yes, definitely. Public art helps beautify neighborhoods and make us more civic-minded and prideful. I think there should be and the form of it can vary from traditional sculpture and painting to all kinds of projects.”

“Yes, and even performance art, too.”

“Yeah. I have a lot of friends who are artists and it’d help them.”

“I think it can add to character.”

Comments

sunny 2 years, 3 months ago

These libs...gotta love em

lunacydetector 2 years, 3 months ago

doesn't lawrence already have public art installations? i haven't been downtown in years.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

OK geniuses. I can't access my inbox and messages. When I hit the down arrow the menu slides under the LJW logo and I go back to the main page. Anybody?

rantor 2 years, 3 months ago

Art IS bad. Art is for the weak. It makes people lazy and want to do drugs. Art detracts from productivity. Art should be banned. Now, get back to work.

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

You're makin' my day here, R_A. Next time, gimme a call. I gots the bail money.

autie 2 years, 3 months ago

Sam has banninated art in Kansas. Do you people not remember? Art is bad. Art causes people to think. If there was any art it would be statue of YoMomma, whoever that is. I saw some really cool art that anyone can make. Wait until we have some cooler weather for this to work really well. Like below 20 degrees. Take cotton balls and dip in water and hurl against any object. If it is cold enough they will stick and let the creative design juices start flowing.

CWGOKU 2 years, 3 months ago

Stripping is an art, so, yeah, sure

beatrice 2 years, 3 months ago

Never trust anyone who calls for less art in our lives.

fan4kufootball 2 years, 3 months ago

no - not a role of the taxpayer.

bd 2 years, 3 months ago

What annother tax gobbling idea!

trinity 2 years, 3 months ago

Public art installations-yes-only if balloons at car dealerships are allowed! Marty McFly travelled to 2015, so no-the world does not end in 2012.

g_rock 2 years, 3 months ago

I would put Art Vandelay on display though no matter what city. Cause that sh*t be funny.

bolshavik_vw 2 years, 3 months ago

Yes! I agree with this 100%. I am an Artist and would dig, seeing my Art Work in Down Town Lawrence. I have always dreamed of being able to paint a mural on the side of a wall. It would totally get me and other Artists recognized, who want this, and just do not know, how to go about doing this.

prospector 2 years, 3 months ago

I would like public stocks to put our racist politician in.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm a poet and I'm also writing a book. It's sounds a lot better than saying I've been unemployed for over 2 years. Working for someone is prostitution.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

Airborn welded scrap metal would definitely be cool. Although, as I've said before, welders are psychos. They also make bowling balls and put their victims heads inside them. I am big on the art of dancing, anywhere, anytime. I was up at Ronaldo's after I got out of the joint the other day. He was crazy dancing! He has a really fly swimming pool and cool yard art. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RHJSk...

labmonkey 2 years, 3 months ago

Art Linkletter is dead, but Art Garfunkel isn't.

CWGOKU 2 years, 3 months ago

I can't top g-rock and Loki, funny, thanks for the laughs. Later

Loki 2 years, 3 months ago

You will just encourage the hippies and hipsters...

g_rock 2 years, 3 months ago

Dude. Art Linkletter is dead. I don't think he should be on public display. And why in Lawrence? What is wrong with you people?

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

If the Spanish hadn't killed all the Mayans they could have finished their calendar

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 3 months ago

Public toilets, that's what we need, public toilets.

profound 2 years, 3 months ago

Well RA, I'd love to see some welded scrap iron come flyin' down the street. Without wheels. Cool.

Odeo 2 years, 3 months ago

Does Krista have wings? An Angel? That ROCKS!!

rantor 2 years, 3 months ago

TAC, TAC, we need heavy strike on rare full assembly at coordinates of lima juliet whiskey. Can you confirm over?

Odeo 2 years, 3 months ago

Wait. This is a very vague question. What are you really asking? More "Art in the Park?"

LJW-WTF? - Odoe

Odeo 2 years, 3 months ago

I agree. -“Yes, and even performance art, too.” - As bonded fellow Lawrencians, we can work on this and improve as needed. It should be a priority. I like performance "Art." I have studied it for many years in North Lawrence. It is truly a beautiful and wonderful "Art." I like the "Art" of the "Performance."

Odeo 2 years, 3 months ago

First deletion of my comment for 2012. What was that for? The Mayan clock is still clicking. But, we are not done yet, Al. What the heck?

Odeo 2 years, 3 months ago

RoeD. Heads up..Remember when you and I were asking what the hell "snoodling" meant. Dude. DO NOT ASK. I think Thuja may be trying to noodle you into a "snoodle." DO NOT PROCEED!!

Odeo 2 years, 3 months ago

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

Profound, altruistic crap like that never works. When Boog was Student Body Pres. at KU in the 80's, he started the White Bike Program. He got these old bikes, painted them white and left them at various places around campus. The idea was people could ride them to wherever their next class was and leave them for others to use. Well, one afternoon I was standing on the front porch at The Wheel and suddenly this white bike comes flying down 14th St. with no one on it. It sailed a couple more blocks and crashed into some bushes. Damndest thing I've ever seen. Funny, too.

Odeo 2 years, 3 months ago

Umm...I kind of think that Lawrence already does. If you are one to have to actually had to "use" a "facility" of public "installation" in Lawrence. I am sure you will agree that the art and poetry is very vibrant......

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

I think we need a mime on every corner. I love mimes.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 3 months ago

Drew has 2 heads. I think that's a wonderful art exhibit in and of itself. More port-a-potty installations would sure be nice.

profound 2 years, 3 months ago

Ongoing, evolving projects where people could bring their own scrap iron and weld it on. Or just drop off some old scrap for others to weld. Unemployed folks could learn a new skill, and master welders could help people get back on their feet again. Tons of stuff could be repurposed. Creations could stretch for blocks and Lawrence would become famous worldwide as the eight wonder.

RoeDapple 2 years, 3 months ago

I get all my velvet Elvis paintings from the starving artiste truck.