Previous   Next

This Saturday is the last time Kansas will play Missouri in regular conference play in men’s basketball. Will you be sad to see the rivalry go?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 W. 23rd. St. on February 24, 2012

Browse the archives

“I’m sad to see (Missouri) leaving the conference because rivalry in sports is a good thing.”

“I’ll miss it for sure. Most of my family is from Missouri but I’ve grown up supporting the Jayhawks.”

“I don’t think I’ll be sad to see the rivalry go. It just leads to fights.”

“We have an in-house rivalry — it’ll be sad to see those jokes go. And for the schools, it adds an extra to the game, makes it just that bit better.”

Comments

Paul R Getto 2 years, 1 month ago

For example: I was sitting right under the basket when this started. Much younger, of course.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 1 month ago

Ronaldo rides his bicycle with no seat. Without fights, basketball is boring. The KU-MU thing used to be good for at least one bench-clearing brawl per season.

Rara_Avis 2 years, 1 month ago

Nope. Haven't payed attention since Donnie Von and the boys dragged the pussies under the bleachers and beat the crap out of them thirty some years ago. Oh, and the time Steepo shot himself.

Paul R Getto 2 years, 1 month ago

"We are bigger than them, and don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out." === Ditto. Have fun playing the goobers, slavers. You gonna get beat down and wish you were still playing the Jayhawks. At least it was a short trip back to Columbia to go get your tails 'untwisted.' (PS: Hope we keep them in the fight song.)

CWGOKU 2 years, 1 month ago

I never cared for the "rivalry". So much hatred by the meth makers over ancient history. And so much of it trumped up by their athletic department to sell tickets and by the media to sell papers. I live just on the Missouri side so I have to listen to the losers , but at least Kansas city is a KU town. And really what rivalry, they claim to be a football school yet the all time series is a virtual tie and we own them in basketball, we are up all time like 80 games. Miss the rivalry? No, glad to see them go. I hope to ever see them again. Let them and their ticket sellers and the media cry. We are bigger than them, and don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 1 month ago

You are funny us right??? Miss ole Normany and the halfwits in the yellow section

BABBOY 2 years, 1 month ago

I am a KSU guy. But, always liked seeing KU beat MU. MU fans are punks. Enjoy the SEC losers........

rockchalker52 2 years, 1 month ago

We'll just hafta start again with the proper building blocks for a new rivalry:

g_rock 2 years, 1 month ago

People spend a lot of money to support their team by hating another team close enough to travel, taunt and traumatize. I can't imagine WV will have that same blood curdling-get out my wallet feeling.

At the same time...we are losing some hillbillies and gaining some mountainbillies. Same thing, different location, right?

Who cares, as long as KU wins.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 1 month ago

"Or when you sit at Missouri and Fambrough Street?"

Sit?

Silly person, my bicycle is impervious to mere mortal traffic laws.

JackMcKee 2 years, 1 month ago

To quote Curly Bill

"well, bye"

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 1 month ago

Yes. And K-State will not fill that rival void. Speaking of voiding, I'll be back in a few minutes.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years, 1 month ago

No, I shall be eternally reminded of it as I traverse that one block of 11th St., now known as Fambrough Drive.

patkindle 2 years, 1 month ago

I always will wonder what our attitude would be If KU had of been invited to the big dance at the SEC and mizzouri was left at home holding their hat in their hand??

rockchalker52 2 years, 1 month ago

Big Sis is a Jayhawk grad now living in SEC country which means MU is still on her active enemies roster. She gonna keep me updated on their failings. I told her not to bother, but she said if she had to put up with 'em, she was gonna share the Misery.

H_Lecter 2 years, 1 month ago

Of course.
I'll especially miss reading the comments on tigerboard.com There is something warm and special about be so despised and hated.

Mizzou will get spanked next year when they lose seven seniors from this roster and we won't be part of that slaughter.

Self had no business making the comment. "If they leave..." The decision was already made at that point. Give Self and the players credit though, they've exceeded initial expectations this year. With that said, they better be prepared to play for a full 40 mins. this Saturday.

autie 2 years, 1 month ago

Even if we don't play...the rivalry will still be there. At least until the current generation of student is dead and gone. They will remain bloodthirsty heathen murderistic slavers and we will be rightous Jayhawks.

fancy80 2 years, 1 month ago

No, I won't be sad. I want to beat them by 30 points and laugh at them. Then I'll say goodbye and good riddance.

tange 2 years, 1 month ago

I'll probably listen to it on the car radio, engine running, in the garage.

grammaddy 2 years, 1 month ago

Not at all. We've still got those puddycats out in Manhattan.

RoeDapple 2 years, 1 month ago

Hey I was always the last dude picked at recess so what do I care?

Shelley Bock 2 years, 1 month ago

Missouri walked away from the competition. I'm sorry to see it end, but MU made the decision to terminate. They found a new place to play and have rejected the conference. That's their problem, so be it. KU versus K-State will remain. Other rivalries will be made.

No compromises on this one. MU can come to Allen Fieldhouse to play. KU not returning to Columbia, ever again. No "neutral" court games in KC either. Our house or the highway for MU in my opinion.

I'll miss not seeing KU play Missouri. But, it is Missouri going for the money and forgetting tradition. Time will tell whether they're happy. Besides, who really cares if Missouri makes the correct decision?

Bill Lee 2 years, 1 month ago

Without true rivals, teams may as well play intermural games.