Previous   Next

How would you feel about working with your significant other?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 W. 23rd St. on February 13, 2012

Browse the archives

“I think it’d cause too many problems. Maybe we could manage if we were in the same office, but not on the same team.”

“Personally, I don’t think that’s a good idea. For one thing, you’d have more of a tendency to bring work home.”

“I think it could become a distraction.”

Comments

Bill Lee 2 years, 10 months ago

Been there, done that. It was a nightmare.

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

Tried that once. After working half a day she began discussing where we would go on vacation. Had to fire her.

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

At least the couch is only two steps from the recliner . . . in this basement.

Mary Darst 2 years, 10 months ago

Tried it once! Started out pretty good, but almost ruined our marriage......not only did I work with him, but his daughter worked with us as well. NIGHTMARE!!!! Maybe under different circumstances....well.....NO!

Ginny Hedges 2 years, 10 months ago

My husband and I owned a retail store and did mail order from 1990-2001, and it was the best and most fun years of our lives. We traveled around the country to conventions, shows, flea markets and swap meets and met a lot of nice people. We were together 24/7 and loved it. I guess it all depends on what kind of marriage you have and how well you get along with each other. The hobby industry started taking a dive and we had to close. It was very hard on us, but we made it through and have now been married for 42 years and counting. We would love to be able to open another business and work together, but just can't afford it.

rockchalker52 2 years, 10 months ago

"Whew, Honey, wait 'til ya hear about my day." "Uh, yeah. I bet it was a lot like mine."

Who am I gonna tell lies to if I work with my spouse? My neighbor retired from working a few years back & his wife retired this year. He told me, "Life as I knew it is now over." He's a kidder. I know he's happy about it. He sure does get a lot chores done these days.

labmonkey 2 years, 10 months ago

We would get a divorce. There is a reason marriages take a hit when people retire... you are okay with someone as long as you can get away from them for awhile. You need the freedom from each other.

Richard Payton 2 years, 10 months ago

Only works in the afternoon while listening to afternoon delight. Now I'm going to listen to Whitney H. going to remember her music forever.

somedude20 2 years, 10 months ago

Flap Doodle 2 years, 10 months ago

Am I hearing a barking sound from off in the east?

LadyJ 2 years, 10 months ago

Having worked with a spouse and also with my mother, I'll take the spouse. Fellow workers usually won't tell you they don't like your spouse but they will let you know they don't like your mother and bitch about her.

coolmom 2 years, 10 months ago

That would be awesome. We balance each other well.

Kyle Neuer 2 years, 10 months ago

Never in a million years would this ever be a good idea.

juma 2 years, 10 months ago

It would save on gas/time for 'nooners'. That is if still allowed.

BMI 2 years, 10 months ago

Best OTS question in quite a while. Thank you MOS, thank you brethren. People must be able to have some illusion about their spouses. Working side by side..you learn so many faults you can't live with, with you'd never known, or you become the kicking boy/girl for company problems, because they can't abuse the other help as they can you.