Previous   Next

Do you ever watch or listen to public broadcasting?

Asked at Checkers, 2300 La. on February 10, 2012

Browse the archives

“Yes. I listen to NPR on the way to work.”

“No.”

“Occasionally — not very often.”

“Yes, I listen three or four times a week, news, mainly.”

Related story

Comments

Loki 2 years, 10 months ago

I do! The PBS series on the prohibition was fantastic. Besides great educational shows they have fantastic concerts and of course I love the British comedies! NPR is ok, I have a hard time staying focused on listening to people talk on the radio. My mind drifts too easily.

rockchalker52 2 years, 10 months ago

One must listen to NPR to garner an appreciation for high-brow humor. From Keillor's show, for example:

Q: What do you call a carpenter from Utah? A: Mormon Nailer

A guy walks into a bar and says, "I'm the world's greatest tennis player." And the bartender says, "Is this some kind of Djokovic?"

The newlyweds arrived at the hotel to check into the honeymoon suite & after a brief delay, the bellman came over & said to the groom, "Your bridal is ready." "That's ok," the groom said. "I'll just hold onto her ears until she gets the hang of it."

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn't come back? A: A stick.

Yes, I listen to NPR. I yam sophisticated.

Bill Lee 2 years, 10 months ago

Not as often as I used to. Too many other choices now, and most are more entertaining and less challenging. I take the easy way out most often.

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

The wife listens to it in the car but not in the house anymore. I came home from work in a sour mood one time and remarked that it sounded like they were stretching cats. She was listening to "Opera is My Hobby". Pleasant conversation ensued . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

She likes to listen to "Car Talk". After listening to an episode she proceeded to tell all about what was wrong with her car based on the "thingy" connected to the "twisty part" that makes a "phrump, phrump, clackity, click" sound. I told her to hand me a 10mm open end and a star drive bit. She looked at me like my head had exploded.

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

Did you know parts of Route 66 are still open? Yep. "American Roads" tells her allaboutit. Someday we're gonna travel it looking at relics from the '50's. Old gas stations, drive-in restaurants and motels. Do I need to tell you, not MY idea?

grammaddy 2 years, 10 months ago

I listen to NPR on my tablet and the kids watch PBS all the time. Great kids programming.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 10 months ago

Nope, I get all the smug I need from my macbook.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 10 months ago

NPR,PBS and Community radio.

Community Radio is a hot source of information.

Think KKFI 90.1 on your radio dial. 8-10 AM is a good source of news.

ivalueamerica 2 years, 10 months ago

and you do not realize the difference between news and editorial opinion. That is one of the things that is wrong with America today.

Kimberly Grosse 2 years, 10 months ago

I listen to NPR nearly all day long at work!

rockchalker52 2 years, 10 months ago

"You haven't lived until you've been to Tucumcari in a blizzard or 110 degrees heat." T_O_B

Did the blizzard part one time. That's closer to dyin' than livin.'

"I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari Tehachapi to Tonapah Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made I've driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed If you give me: weed, whites, and wine And you show me a sign I'll be willin' to be movin' " - Lowell George

rockchalker52 2 years, 10 months ago

Corn chips & tequila - McUpChucks? Is this a drive-thru option? Supersize it!

trinity 2 years, 10 months ago

Only when the Schweddie Balls guy is on. :)

parrothead8 2 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, equal rights for all citizens is a stupid idea.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 10 months ago

That must be in their charter. Used to be every NPR station had to have some old geezer who imitated Karl Haas.

Shane Garrett 2 years, 10 months ago

Every work day on the drive to work. Just after 580 does last night on the tonight show with Jay Lino. NPR does a lot of in depth reporting and not just head line spouting.

rockchalker52 2 years, 10 months ago

"...a documentary...Spacehog's Hawaii years..."

just bein' a hog & surviving all those luaus musta been tricky. I hope Burns does an episode on the music.

labmonkey 2 years, 10 months ago

Only listen to the Car Guys once in awhile... that is not enough for me to support taxpayer funding.

John Pearson 2 years, 10 months ago

It is insane for the legislator from Mulvane to comment on public radio not being a government function when his district includes a state owned CASINO - apparently government sponsored gambling is ok but not radio.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 10 months ago

Has Kim Jong-un been sent to hell on a shutter? Stay tuned to the interwebs....

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

Spent a week in Tucumcari one afternoon. Seems the local sheriff thought he had caught a couple of desparados when he stopped my buddy and I. After about 6 hours he decided we were who we said we were and let us go. I found out later my friend was sweating it out worried the cop would find a .38 special he kept under the spare.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 10 months ago

When you are in Winona, AZ and you see a woman riding, that doesn't necessarily mean she is Winona Ryder.

labmonkey 2 years, 10 months ago

Kirk Larson 2 years, 10 months ago

Great news coverage. Cool science shows like Nova and Nature. Masterpiece Mysteries. Educational stuff for the kids. Even Religion & Ethics if that's your thing. Can't think of a single reason? Your thinking must be limited. Public Broadcasting can help cure that.

classclown 2 years, 10 months ago

labmonkey (anonymous) says…

This OTS was a failure. The last one at Checkers garnered 75% redheads. Nary a cute redhead this time. February 10, 2012 at 4:57 p.m.

===========================================

It all depends on what day of the week it is. They only let redheaded people shop at grocery stores one day a week so that the other residents of Lawrence don't have to mingle with them.

They also take all the brand name items off the shelves during redhead day too.

Mike Ford 2 years, 10 months ago

dummies changing the subject....intelligence down the tube.....mission not accomplished...

Kirk Larson 2 years, 10 months ago

I have two alarm clocks. One just buzzes and the other turns on NPR's Morning Edition. That's the one that gets me up what with the news of the days that gets my attention.