Previous   Next

What does ‘feminism’ mean today?

Asked at Kansas University’s campus on February 8, 2012

Browse the archives

“For me, it’s another word for ‘humanism.’”

“There are many definitions and to categorize into one would diminish the others.”

“The ability to keep going and fight out obstacles as a woman, even by yourself.”

“Feminism is a dialogue. It’s a conversation that has begun and continues — it’s not just about being a woman but how we resolve the relationships between all genders. It’s about communication and resolution between people.”

Comments

its_just_math 3 years, 4 months ago

What does ‘feminism’ mean today?

Diminishing the role of the male in order to assign a feeling of personal power and superiority. Easy.

parrothead8 3 years, 4 months ago

Feminism has never had anything to do with diminishing someone else's "role." It's always been about having an equal chance to succeed without being viewed through the lens of someone who assumes gender has something to do with one's "role."

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Don't know nuthinaboutit. Bring me a sammich.

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Alright. I'll run the vacuum. But I ain't touchin' that damn dustrag!

Armstrong 3 years, 4 months ago

Feminism, the female side of the crazed left

Flap Doodle 3 years, 4 months ago

It's always best to handle the issue to be feminism just before points get free from handle and the difficulty at palms turns into feminism. Inside a bet to make this happen, best shown to be able to normal tendency, exactly what many people attempt to perform will be feminism with no physical effort or workout. (from a source)

Ceallach 3 years, 4 months ago

I agree with what Snap said, at least I think I do.

Mike Ford 3 years, 4 months ago

whatever some right winger wants it to mean as a slur....limbaugh says femi nazi and that's my example....

grammaddy 3 years, 4 months ago

Fighting for equality in all areas.No longer letting a man make ANY decisions concerning my life.

mysterytrain 3 years, 4 months ago

An ongoing awareness (and continuing education) that women are still not paid equally and sometimes not treated equally in jobs and other situations. It may seem that we are equal but if you are a woman and work in just about any situation you will find that things are still not equal. I think sometimes men in positions of hiring/management do it unconsciously and just need to be reminded - so pay attention and do your research ladies when it comes to salaries and benefits.

rockchalker52 3 years, 4 months ago

RoeDy sez 'Alright. I'll run the vacuum. But I ain't touchin' that damn dustrag!'

Alright! That's the same stand I took at my house. Sharing housework is fair. After all, she helps with the yard stuff, comes out & points at what I need to do.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 4 months ago

"But momma can't cut no compound miter to save her life, or tear down the roto tiller." That's funny. I know women that can and do. I once knew a woman blacksmith. My husband made the comment, "Now there is the personification of "machisma"."

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 4 months ago

Only if Andini is another name for misogynist :P

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 4 months ago

The idea that , "Hey! Women are (gasp!) people too!". Kinda like the idea that, "Hey! Black people are (gasp!) people too!".

rockchalker52 3 years, 4 months ago

Proctor Parker punts a post of pesky poster?

deec 3 years, 4 months ago

Or they could hire childcare like working class couples or single parents do. Single parents manage to pay bills, et. al., too. Funny how certain posters always feel it necessary to defend a disappeareded poster who "isn't" them, even though the defensive poster claims to be a new poster Weird.

jonas_opines 3 years, 4 months ago

"I'm personally tired of your and TOBs' and babboys comments."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahcoughcoughcoughcough

hack, wheeze, pound chest

snrksnrkchortlehehhehheeeeheeehahahahah ahhahahahahaaaaahahahahahah!

whine a little more, baby dish it out constantly, can't take it one little bit

Katara 3 years, 4 months ago

"2-3 pets"

How do you not know how many pets you have?

Is having multiple pets supposed to be an indication that you are part of the 1% like you are trying to imply with the other stuff?

Kendall Simmons 3 years, 4 months ago

What was ruined? Being trapped in a miserable marriage? I'd say that ending the legal and social barriers to that was a beautiful change.

You seem to be astonished that things change. Guess what? Change is a constant. You can always depend on things changing. (And on the past not being anywhere near as cool as people who didn't live through it think.)

Kirk Larson 3 years, 4 months ago

Actually, with the right hormone regimen, men are fully capable of being wet nurses.

deec 3 years, 4 months ago

Seriously, how can a certain poster flat out out himself over and over and NOT get rightfully disapearededed again?

nocrybabies 3 years, 4 months ago

It means I can keep it shaved if I want to.

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

BABBOY hates everybody. But especially conservatives. I'm back among the employed this week. Sure wish my wife was a supervisor fpr Fed-Ex. I can get you a good buy on a kayak.

Kirk Larson 3 years, 4 months ago

I might take you up on that kayak! Does it have a dry hole? Stowage?

begin60 3 years, 4 months ago

Chris' definition above is inspiring, but in Lawrence feminism and equal rights appear to be non-concepts. Women have a right to self-defense and to control their own bodies. In Lawrence owe automatic gratitude to incompetent, wannabe, mountain-people saviors one can easily be dishonestly and brutally persecuted for standing her ground to protect her own safety.

Southern justice and feminism never were happy bedfellows.

rockchalker52 3 years, 4 months ago

Hey, sunshine! That's a little shorter, a little sweeter & a lot calmer. Kudos for your progress, hope you are enjoying the day.

begin60 3 years, 4 months ago

• in Lawrence where strangers owe automatic gratitude

Ceallach 3 years, 4 months ago

Feminism -- sounded good in the 60's -- but a lot of us soon learned that it was just trading a bunch of men telling us how we should be for a bunch of women telling us how we should be.

verity 3 years, 4 months ago

Yes, Ceallach, I figured that out back in the late 70s. While the rules were better, they were still rules made by someone else. So I decided to make my own rules. It has worked out quite well.

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Wait! There's an online clique here? Well . . . who'da thunkit . . . ?

rockchalker52 3 years, 4 months ago

Am I s'posed to left clique or right clique?

rockchalker52 3 years, 4 months ago

Just today, the generosity of feminine ingenuity has shared with me the new world of cake & how to bake one in less than 2 minutes. Two cakes so far today, the last one with ice cream.

Take an angel food mix Plus another cake mix, any kind ( I used chocolate fudge) Mix 'em together really well in a big freezer bag & you'll have enough for lots & lots of small cakes.

Remember three, two, one 3 TBSP mixed up cake mix 2 TBSP water, Mix really well with mixed up cake mix, use small bowl 1 minute on high in microwave right in the small bowl Voila! (That's french for warm cake & cold ice cream.)

And if you girls need an easy mid-week entree, there's a new spin on a hamburger/hash brown casserole I could tell you about.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 4 months ago

OOOO do tell! I can use a new dinner recipe to change things up. But it can't have mushroom soup. My husband is allergic to mushrooms and it would be a trip to the ER.

verity 3 years, 4 months ago

Thank you, rockchalker52. Wish I had read this before my trip to the grocery store. Sounds yummy and doesn't have more that four ingredients---that's all I can handle at one time.

Please grace us with the recipe for the casserole (I can handle five ingredients if one of them is salt).

You are a true feminist.

classclown 3 years, 4 months ago

Allowing them to think that what they think matters and their opinions are valued just as much.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 4 months ago

Feminism is when you give up the remote for half the evening. (Oh noes!)

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 4 months ago

Feminism is when you get your own damn sammich.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 4 months ago

You'll survive, Gandalf. After all, you came back from that fall in the Mount of Moria, didn't you?

classclown 3 years, 4 months ago

cait48 (anonymous) says…

Feminism is when you get your own damn sammich. February 9, 2012 at 6:25 a.m.

===================================================

Agreed. So while you're getting your own damn sammich, get me one too. Don't dawdle now sweety.

booyalab 3 years, 4 months ago

Wow, each of the OTS answers is like a window into a different, yet equally grating type of thinking that rarely exists outside of a university. Fascinating.

A long time ago, women thought that love was the most important thing. A few women were more interested in things like logic, but even some of those thought love was also important. Then some women came along who were made angry by love and evidently thought logic wasn't cool either. So a new type of woman was born who was neither loving nor logical. Needless to say, most men hated that type of woman. Lots of women hated that type of woman as well.

booyalab 3 years, 4 months ago

Here is an economic summary of feminism:

Women were the weaker sex and could not perform labor as efficiently as men. They were also the ones who gave birth so the husband would work and the wife would stay at home with the children. Then the industrial revolution happened and the imbalance of strength between sexes became less relevant to work. Women started working more. The countries where the revolution occurred became wealthier and people could make money doing things like writing and speaking, the latter of which women do more anyways so lots of women started looking for ways to get paid to talk. Now we are in the communication age and even more women look for ways to get paid to talk. Feminist and related studies are one such method of revenue for women with no sign of stopping anytime soon, especially since you can avoid being pinned down to any particular definition.

riverdrifter 3 years, 4 months ago

I just like the feminist that just left after bucking out & jumping in the hot tub tonight. One of my sisters was a February Sister at KU. Gals: you can't live with them and you can't live without'em.