Previous   Next

Would you go to the new casino first open on Friday in Kansas City, Kan.?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 4, 2012

Browse the archives

“Yeah. We were just talking about it.”

“Yes.”

“Yes. ”

“No. But I’m underage anyway.”

Comments

Rae Hudspeth 3 years, 3 months ago

We did.

Meh.

A big cavern with a bar/grill overlooking the Speedway, which might be nice on race weekends for folks who like that sort of thing, but crappy gambling floor. It was cold inside, and the water in the bathrooms was downright icy. The very few bars and floor cocktail runners were badly understaffed, overpriced and limited in selection. $4.50 for a domestic bottle beer, 6.50 for a teeny glass of house wine. I dared not ask the price of a whiskey soda.

The slot floor is completely randomly arranged, with dollar/2/5 dollar slot banks next to penny slots, and quarter slots or progressives are few and far between.

Compounding our anticipation and long wait in the cold to get in, which was totally unnecessary, we weren't helped very much by the staff, who seemed more interested in gathering in gaggles to converse rather than show customers around the new place.

We won't be back, but doubt we'll be missed along with others like us, as the focus will probably be as an alternative entertainment to the raceway.

gl0ck0wn3r 3 years, 3 months ago

I don't see Wyandotte complaining about the revenue.

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

Only if I were an underage looking for work nurse.

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

An occasional lottery ticket for me. But to stand there feeding money to a machine for hours on end when you know the odds are stacked heavily toward the house . . . uh,uh.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

The competition for most awkwardly-phrased OTS question has a new leader.

Joe Hyde 3 years, 3 months ago

I was thinking the same thing. Gotta use your imagination on this one.

Is it, "Would you go to the new casino first (the one that) open(ed) Friday in Kansas City, KS (before visiting other casinos later)?"

or is it,

"Would you be the first (visitor) to go to the casino that opened Friday in Kansas City, KS?"

or is it,

"Would you go to the new casino (that) first open(ed) on Friday in Kansas City, KS?"

I think the correct phrasing is behind Curtain #3, but it's definitely a head-scratcher.

camper 3 years, 3 months ago

I'd rather go into a deep dark cave. Church would be more fun than a casino.

Enlightenment 3 years, 3 months ago

Are you referring to church when you say dens of thieves?

gl0ck0wn3r 3 years, 3 months ago

If I get a $50,000 marker I'd consider it.

Ronnie24 3 years, 3 months ago

I might,... but not until they get the" newness" out..

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

Pancakes this morning, in remembrance of an old friend. 'Cept he never could keep 'em down after his Friday nights . . .

Mary Darst 3 years, 3 months ago

I only go for the beer and to watch people and a athletic event if it is on. The prices of alcohol is 2 times the price in Kansas than in Oklahoma. We rate casinos by how cold those 2 dollar draws are. I don"t gamble, but the other half does....he is usually through his money in 10 min. HAHA

JackMcKee 3 years, 3 months ago

The no-fun brigade that frequents this site? You have to ask?

Eileen Jones 3 years, 3 months ago

Voluntary tax, mostly from those who can afford it the least.

camper 3 years, 3 months ago

Casinos are for Grandma and Grandpa.

camper 3 years, 3 months ago

I've taken some dumb pills today. Sorry folks.

520dude 3 years, 3 months ago

Is Hard Rock your significant other?

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

;-) That's okay camper!

Someday you will be an old dude too! Then when you see a younger person beating his chest and making a comment such as yours you will smile and think "With any luck he'll live long enough to laugh too!"

camper 3 years, 3 months ago

Roe, just not not my cup of tea. But I might consider it if they allowed you to bet on sports games. Of course I would only pick the sure winners then ):

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

Me either camper. Hell, at my age going to sleep is gamble enough!

camper 3 years, 3 months ago

I know one thing. If I ever do go to that casino, I will keep good manners and not dare put my feet up on the table. Learned this from the movie.

George_Braziller 3 years, 3 months ago

For me, going to a casino ranks on the interest scale somewhere between buying new socks and cleaning the bathroom.

camper 3 years, 3 months ago

I would rather watch paint dry than step inside a casino.

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

Washing the basement cat can get your blood pumping. and running . . .

camper 3 years, 3 months ago

I must add one to the three places I try to avoid:

1) Jail 2) The Hospital 3) Church 4) The Casino

camper 3 years, 3 months ago

I would rather mow the entire lawn with a pair of left handed scissors than go to the casino.

Mike Ford 3 years, 3 months ago

the state tried to get the Kickapoo and Potawatomi Nations to go in on this project some years ago and when the tribes saw the crumbs the state left them as partners....they said no thanks. States never steal and the Kansas -Nebraska Act of 1854 is total proof of this. This casino was built to stop money from going to Missouri. Mulvane was built to go after monies going to the Otoe-Missouria, Kaw, Ponca, Tonkawa, and Osage casinos just across the border from Ark City. The Quapaw Nation built Downstream in parts of three states as a warning sign to the state of Kansas not to go in at Frontenac. Something like eight tribal casinos around Miami, Oklahoma, is a good reason not to pursue a losing venture. If Nascar attendance is down nationally as I've read in recent times....why is this casino a good idea????

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 3 months ago

No...When I spend my money, I want to take something home in a bag.

Mike Ford 3 years, 3 months ago

actually some of the largest welfare counties per capita are in rural parts of Kansas with mostly white populations.....go figure.....sierra club??? nice misnomer.....none of us sound this dumb....