Previous   Next

What was the best thing that happened to you in 2012?

Browse the archives

“I sat in the front row at the Mizzou basketball game in Allen Fieldhouse. That was a lifetime achievement.”

“Getting accepted to Teach for America.”

“Getting to start school again, and getting back into that groove.”

“A lot of traveling, all over the country — Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, Dallas. ”

Comments

JackMcKee 1 year, 3 months ago

I became a regular contributor to this award winning (TM) news site!

profound 1 year, 3 months ago

low aspirations and expectations, never fails, i should have run for congress

bearded_gnome 1 year, 3 months ago

^^Paul R. Getto 7 hours, 29 minutes ago

Thanks same to you and Mrs. gnome! Best thing to happen this year: retirement for both of us. One of the downfalls of being home together all the time is the absconding of the IPad which results in me posting as him. :-) ---heheheheh, makes it hard to know who to get mad at then Kathy!
just remember, you can correct his errors on his computer using whiteout on his screen!

beatrice 1 year, 3 months ago

Looking back, I think -- well, that was fun.

rockchalker52 1 year, 3 months ago

2012 was ok, but I feel more like I do now than I did when it started.

thebcman 1 year, 3 months ago

"I sat in the front row at the Mizzou basketball game in Allen Fieldhouse. That was a lifetime achievement.”

Holy Cow! You should never sit so close to them Slavers. That DNA probably rubbed off on ya! Bet you could've tested positive for meth after the game!

bearded_gnome 1 year, 3 months ago

looza 4 hours, 6 minutes ago

first pick in the NFL draft..................go Chefs!

---Kansas City's football team been renamed? if so, what's the mascot? Paula Dean?

bearded_gnome 1 year, 3 months ago

^^Valkyrie_of_Reason
Kathy Getto 3 hours, 13 minutes ago

Glad you are ok.

---Thanks Kathy, am getting OK, long road.

you and your hubby have a happy new year.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 3 months ago

Artie, I think I need to go vomit now. Thanks.

autie 1 year, 3 months ago

I had a huge abcess drained and then later got a colonocopy. The former was not MRSA and the later was declared a clean chute. I thought that was wonderful.

looza 1 year, 3 months ago

first pick in the NFL draft..................go Chefs!

Linda and Bill Houghton 1 year, 3 months ago

Celebrating our 50th Anniversary with a 7 week trip to Central Europe, seeing some new sights, including some places that we were not allowed visit the last time we were there--East Germany, the Czech and Slovak Republics.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 3 months ago

What was the best thing that happened to you in 2012?

---well, in 2011 I came pretty close to dying.
so in 2012 the best thing was shedding one heckuva lot of pain, and finally , after many months returned to rarely walking a mile's distance!

God has my days numbered, and the number wasn't up, though it felt like we were down to decimals.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 3 months ago

Probably the 90 days I spent in jail. Yep, that was the highlight. 2012 was a bad year. Seeing Bob Dylan is my usual highlight to any year, but he skipped the KC area for the second year in a row. I'm betting it won't happen thrice. Here's to 2013. Open wide, 2012!

tange 1 year, 3 months ago

A regift of sorts... The Joy Formidable.

Having recently made some life altering changes by extending myself to a son, we were on our way to Starlight to see Florence, and he reminded me to pop the CD I'd just burned for the trip—a Big Roar, or some-such. Rush hour traffic and turn-by-turn navigation along a forgotten path, melodic hooks quickly descended into noise. Regroup; attenuate; drive. (Florence streams more mainly than many of the artists who have my ear, but oh-so dear, she sings her heart out, and that alone qualifies.)

But the Joy—that first had to be experienced firsthand, as I would discover months later. Crafting and delivering perfect little gifts, they then wrap them by tearing off all the paper and filling the room with a confetti mist. Then, with a sensitivity to the escalation of essential tension of an enraptured lover, the three continue to bring it until the listener is left disarmed, bare, and spent. I recall the moment that rarified atmosphere gelled, and I lowered my head so that the tears welling in my eyes would fall onto the ground rather than roll down my cheeks. In one unexpected moment, all the givings and misgivings of prior months had found a liberating singularity, born of countless mitigating maneuvers.

RoeDapple 1 year, 3 months ago

Aw shucks, I guess it woulda been celebrating our first granddaughter's second birthday, then less than 24 hours later celebrating the birth of our second granddaughter. Sure gonna make it easy to remember though!

Gandalf 1 year, 3 months ago

If so that has to be the highlight for 2012, seeing me!! :O)

RoeDapple 1 year, 3 months ago

"This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement"

Pretty sure it was this, but it's gone now . . . .

RoeDapple 1 year, 3 months ago

Not sure, it ain't over yet.