Previous   Next

Do you collect anything?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 29, 2012

Browse the archives

“I don’t. I feel like I’m a minimalistic person and I always lose things. ”

“ I collected baseball cards, when I was little. I still have them.”

“ Knives, I guess. I’m going to sound like a crazy person. They are outstanding pieces of craftsmanship.”

“ I collected old letters and pictures and notes people sent me.”

Comments

labmonkey 1 year, 6 months ago

Old military rifles. I will probably be kicking myself for passing up an original but in great shape Krag that was going for under $800. Good, functioning Krags are getting hard to find and 1903's are starting to follow suit.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 6 months ago

Finger nail clippings, belly button fuzz, and girlfriends.

riverdrifter 1 year, 6 months ago

Shed antlers and deer heads, both shot and (mostly) found.

RoeDapple 1 year, 6 months ago

.22 brass. 3 five gallon buckets of it. Just more cr@p for the younguns to dispose of when I'm gone

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 6 months ago

Maybe they will melt it down and make a statue of you.

riverdrifter 1 year, 6 months ago

I have a feeling you do that quite well, kid!

Liberty275 1 year, 6 months ago

Knives, guitars and flashlights.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 6 months ago

Mine is shaped like a rock. The trick is to find just the right height, so it just cracks, the egg that is, and doesn't splatter all over. I hate runny eggs.

LadyJ 1 year, 6 months ago

That's why I collect them.

RoeDapple 1 year, 6 months ago

Extreme vulgarity has always worked in the past. Just sayin' . . .

Or you could just walk away.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 6 months ago

That, or threatening someone. But, that does not always work. I once threatened an anonymous poster that I personally know that if I drove all the way to that person's house and no one was home, I was going to pick some flowers and leave.

But I'm still here, apparently that was not considered to be a valid threat.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 6 months ago

I collect aquarium ornaments, and some somewhat realistic looking ceramic fish to go with them. Those were all made in Japan. I have quite a few ornaments from various time periods and countries. I have a couple that I believe are from before 1900, a few from Germany that are from before WW II, and a few more that were made in Japan after WW II. All from Ebay, of course.

There are castles, a Roman aqueduct, fake mountains, an Art Deco arch, and at least one defies description, but it's very old, from before 1900, I've seen illustrations of a similar one in publications from about 1860. I even have a replica of the Parthenon in Greece.

And, they look very beautiful in front of my aquariums. Not a single one of them is inside an aquarium!

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 6 months ago

And, my three aquariums are very unusual, they are literally cylindrical Pyrex aquariums, each made of Pyrex glass.

I call them my Pyrex aquariums, because that is what they literally are. I don't know of anyone else that has Pyrex aquariums, that is, aquariums that are each made of one single piece of Pyrex glass.

They're actually chromatography tanks, meaning that they are used for chemistry experiments and some industrial purposes, but don't ask me for exactly what because I don't know.

Due to the fact that very few chromatography tanks in the sizes I have are manufactured, they are incredibly expensive. The largest one I have is well over $1,000 new, but they are incredibly cheap on Ebay because so few people are looking for them. I got my big one for $72, including shipping. Quite a discount from over $1,000, wouldn't you say? But it is true that I had to look for a very long time before one came up for sale, I think it was well over a year.

They are all 12 inches in diameter, the two smaller ones are 18 inches tall, and the big one is 24 inches tall. That's two feet tall, and one foot in diameter. That's pretty big for one piece of glass!

And, I have a beautiful and authentic cast iron Art Deco stand for it that could never be replaced. It came from some in-laws that lived on Exposition Blvd in Beverly Hills. It was the base for a marble top table, but the marble top broke decades ago, leaving only the very sturdy cast iron stand from the Diesel Manufacturing Company. It needed a bit of restoration work before it was ready to be used as an aquarium stand.

I had a few issues that came up that I had to find solutions for, because the Pyrex tanks were never intended to be used as aquariums. But, they're all worked out now.

Many people that see them for the first time say this: "I've never seen an aquarium like that before!"

Of course!

And, I have also heard this: "Those do make pretty neat aquariums."

Yes, they certainly do! After you get all of those quirky problems worked out!

Bill Lee 1 year, 6 months ago

When I was younger I collected the traditional favorites...coins, stamps, baseball cards, etc. I began collecting records while I worked in radio. At one point I had more than 15,000 albums. I finally decided to specialize in Kansas and Kansas City music. I lost my collection in the Board walk fire, but I've managed to replace much of what I lost., Unfortuately, many of the things I lost were one of a kind recordings that will never be heard again.

My current collection of Kansas and Kansas City music has many rare recordings, posters and band photos.

Cole Tuckey's magazine cover

Cole Tuckey's magazine cover by Bill Lee

andrew55 1 year, 6 months ago

Thoughts....they have a mind of their own......