Previous   Next

What is your opinion of yard ornaments?

Asked at South Wind 12 Theaters, 3433 Iowa Street Lawrence on December 25, 2012

Browse the archives

“ It’s all a question of aesthetics. It’s a classic case of what is art. Typically in Lawrence it’s live and let live.”

“ I guess it depends on the lawn ornaments. I don’t mind if it’s not dirty.”

“ I don’t know. It’s not my yard it’s their yard.”

“Lawn ornaments or strategically placed junk? I mean I’m a fan of art but not throwing an umbrella in a tree.”

Comments

Carol Bowen 1 year, 3 months ago

It's still a free country, although they should not be obscene.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 3 months ago

gnomes, being from the mythology short, not so good looking. but we are guarding underground treasure and mindful of much knowledge, secret and otherwise.

perhaps we should be tossing a DIST for good luck?

bearded_gnome 1 year, 3 months ago

regarding pink flamingos, I'm not surprised at the news of yet another battle. flamingos are stuck on themselves; have you ever tried to strike up a conversation with one? they think they're better than you!

so, usually it starts with a gnome kicking them in their prominent shins.
they don't appreciate that and don't admit that they're wrong in the first place.
and it just goes downhill from there.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 3 months ago

LadyJ, sadly, the blogger of that site [howto survive a garden gnome attack] was frightened by a gnome while a child and never got over it.
as I have written before though, the Travelocity gnome is a very poor representative of my people and should be shot on sight per the order of the Universal Order of Gnomes.

but I am entirely peaceful and certainly would never attack, or harm anyone .

...

...

...

bwhahahaha bwhahaha

bearded_gnome 1 year, 3 months ago

Ron! you put a mic on a gnome ... he'll just talk into it himself. you won't get comments from passers by dude.

rockchalker52 1 year, 3 months ago

That metal works store that used to be north of the bridge had some nice pieces. They had a giant arrow that was really cool. I wish I'd bought it.

tange 1 year, 3 months ago

I was once told that a woman needs a man like a tree needs an umbrella.

I took her to be a romantic.

She took me for a ride.

/ hmm... maybe it was... like a fish needs a bicycle

Richard Heckler 1 year, 3 months ago

As long as the yard ornaments are the within the boundaries of the yard art owner I say who cares.

After all what makes toxic weedless yards any more beautiful than a yard decorated in yard art?

If a neighbor is a yard art collector block the art with some arborvitaes IF the yard art seems to provide a headache.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 3 months ago

I do think "yard ornaments" need to be differentiated from grass roots art.
The former I generally consider trashy, the later I find interesting and appealing, umbrellas in trees? Not so much.

LogicMan 1 year, 3 months ago

"It’s all a question of aesthetics. It’s a classic case of what is art."

I suggest the same legal techniques be used as for judging obscenity. If a large majority of adults polled in the nearby neighborhood think it is junk or trash, it's junk or trash and not art.

BABBOY 1 year, 3 months ago

Not something I worry about that much.

I guess I think the ones who goes nuts with them are well nuts....

But, whatever,

Its a free country, right?

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 3 months ago

"Commenting has been disabled for this item."

Oooh. Commenting must have gotten bad on that thread.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 3 months ago

"Okay, everyone lay off K.T. She is a good person, I knew her way back when she was running the Social Service League. The umbrellas in the trees give us a very important message of how people interact with nature since the rain goes into the umbrellas not over them." Frankie

Wow. That was way back in '95. I had totally forgotten about that. I still think it is impressive Jason Keimeg remembered that to answer the OTS question.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 3 months ago

tange 1 year, 3 months ago

All my yard ornaments are volunteers. It's hard to say no.

LadyJ 1 year, 3 months ago

"Lawn gnomes are creepy" Then DO NOT under any circumstances go to this website. http://www.howtosurviveagardengnomeattack.com/ I was given the book as a gift. Fortunately our own bearded_gnome must come from a different branch of gnomes that has evolved past these tendencies.

CWGOKU 1 year, 3 months ago

Lawn gnomes are creepy. I am not really into lawn ornaments. My in-laws are. Goodbye Charles Durning

Liberty275 1 year, 3 months ago

My wife's grandfather built some of those funny windmill ducks. When he died, we recieved several pieces of them. I rebuilt one for my wife and put it in the yard so she would have a nice memory of her grandfather. About three months later some trash/human stole it out of our yard.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 3 months ago

"I’m a fan of art but not throwing an umbrella in a tree.”"

Haha. Nice memory.

autie 1 year, 3 months ago

Man, it's cold outside. I must be gettin old, I thought I'd wait a bit and let the sun get over the hill before I go poking around the river.

autie 1 year, 3 months ago

It depends on who's house it is and which ornaments...could be a target rich enviornment.

Andini 1 year, 3 months ago

I like them especially my collection of cut out people bending over showing their backsides. Got a new couple yesterday.

RoeDapple 1 year, 3 months ago

They keep the perimeter secure . . .

bearded_gnome 1 year, 3 months ago

but you kno, them pink flamingos, they really have an attitude problem you just don't know.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 3 months ago

just don't go and burry them, us, upside down, we don't like that, it's uncomfortable.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 3 months ago

well ... having an opinion ... they're fine ... as long as they don't talk and all that.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 3 months ago

I am so jazzed. I got a new WebTV for Christmas. Now I can start surfing the webs and using the email.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 3 months ago

I can't decide. My couch and my '78 Camaro both look good on the front lawn. There's a house near 23rd and Tennessee, a pink house with a pink pagoda that looks pretty cool. It's always been there. An old man used to live there and he really took care of the lawn, used to trim it with scissors and stuff. One time some stupid frat brothers of mine stole the pagoda. I made them take it back.