Previous   Next

Do you shop at a grocery store to get a discount on gas?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 21, 2012

Browse the archives

“ I don’t shop to get discounts, but I do use my Dillons Plus Card.”

“ No, I live in Pittsburg. I don’t because I shop based on the closest store to where I live.”

“ Yes, it induces a sense of loyalty, like at Dillons you’d get the points to buy gas. I got 20 cents off this week.”

“ No, I don’t. Sometimes, I will be with a friend of mine and I have them swipe their Plus Card. I go to the grocery store for groceries. ”

Comments

RoeDapple 1 year, 8 months ago

Between the DTaP, the flu shot and all the plastic I carry I feel monitored 24/7

They know when I've been sleeping, they know when I'm awake, they know when I've been bad or good so . . . .

labmonkey 1 year, 8 months ago

No. HyVee used to be my favorite store because there was no card BS. I pick what I wanted, the cashier rung it up, I paid, transaction complete... no special card to get the price or to fiddle around with. Now they too have some gas saver program that the old lady or stressed out soccer mom in front of you has to fiddle around looking for the right rewards card from the 150 in her purse or find the right one on the keyring of little cards.

Seriously... can we not go to the store and buy something without being hassled to get some friggin rewards card or to sign up for the store credit card?

labmonkey 1 year, 8 months ago

Seriously... why cannot just make my purchase without having more stuff sold to me or them trying to get my name in a database? I am not an a$$ to the cashiers because I know they hate these things as much as I do.

appleaday 1 year, 8 months ago

Capitalism. I don't like the constant sell, either, but it's what they do.

grammaddy 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes I do. with double points on gorceries and quadruple points on gift cards I have paid $1.97 for gas 3 times this month. I love my Dillon's card. I shop there most of the time anyway. The discount on gas is icing on the cake.

workinghard 1 year, 8 months ago

I also get the gift cards. If you know you are going to shop at Target, Khol's, Amazon, Best Buy, Home Depot or any other bussiness they sell cards for anyway, just use gift cards to pay. It's not hard to rack up the fuel points.

workinghard 1 year, 8 months ago

A couple of times I have had $2 a gallon off at Dillons. I will have one of the kids or spouse meet me at the gas station and fill up both cars and save $70 each time. I know another couple that does the same thing.

Katara 1 year, 8 months ago

It reminds me of the credit card commercial with Jimmy Fallon and the little girl who says no to saving more money.

I don't buy specific foods myself to get a gas discount but if I get a discount based on what I purchased, I figure it is a nice little bonus.

RoeDapple 1 year, 8 months ago

Tying discounts to gasoline purchases prove the original purchase was over priced. Or the gas is.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 8 months ago

Do they sell Soy Bombs? This wasn't supposed to happen, but the look on Grampa's face at 00:16 is priceless.

Bill Lee 1 year, 8 months ago

I shop at a grocery store so I'll have something to eat. I take advantage of the gas discount, but that's not why I go to the store. I use so little gas that I don't worry much about the price.