Previous   Next

Do you think we should get rid of the penny?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 Clinton Parkway on December 20, 2012

Browse the archives

“No, they add up and still matter, even if it’s only a little bit. ”

“Yes, get rid of the penny because it doesn’t make sense to spend more on something than it’s worth – or make it out of something else. ”

“Yeah, I think you can. I got a big jar of them at home.”

“I don’t carry them. When I pay, I usually pay with a credit card. It doesn’t make a difference to me.”

Comments

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 4 months ago

"My favorite song of theirs is "All I Need Is Everything: from the Knife album"

Andini, we need to hang out sometime. You definitely know your 80's bands. We could throw on some OMD, Echo and the Bunneymen, Style Council, Smiths, English Beat, The The, all that good stuff.

gccs14r 1 year, 4 months ago

What needs to happen is that all wages, prices, and debts be shifted one decimal place to the right. Then the penny will be worth something again. For fractional cents, round wages up and prices down. It would require a note exchange, and that would be a great time to get rid of the $1 bill and introduce a $2 coin. It would also flush all the cash out of the underground economy worldwide.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 4 months ago

This would totally screw up Mr. Goodcents.

Bill Lee 1 year, 4 months ago

The penny is a very useful coin. The one that needs to be dropped is the nickel. I don't know anyone who wouldn't rather have a dime than two nickels. They're too big for what they're worth. I've worked more than one cash register, and a roll of nickels seem to last forever. Quarters go quickest, then dimes, and then pennies. Halves don't get used very much because they're so large. Most people I know throw them into a jar or drawer instead of carrying them. The government vending machine owners keeps fighting for dollar coins, but until they make them very different from quarters, that's a losing battle.

Whoever said that every price would be rounded up to the next 5 cents is correct. No one is going to round prices down when profit is at stake.

My_Life 1 year, 4 months ago

It really is a new world.

26Acts

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 4 months ago

I found a wonderful use for pennies, but it certainly does take a lot of them!

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 4 months ago

We cannot get rid of the penny, because that's the going rate for someone's thoughts. You've surely heard the phrase "A penny for your thoughts," and I'm sure you're aware that most people's thoughts are not worth a nickel.

faceit 1 year, 4 months ago

sometimes I read a post that just makes me wonder if the poster is really that dimwitted or just desperate to make a post.

beatrice 1 year, 4 months ago

They need to dump that 9/10ths of a cent added to the price of gas.

SOS 1 year, 4 months ago

NO, keep them. Drill a hole in the middle and they make a nice washer. Saves money over what washers cost these days.

tange 1 year, 4 months ago

How much time is spent counting change as opposed to effecting it?

/ ∆

_

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 4 months ago

"That's an Aztec calendar, not Mayan."

Aztec Camera was cool in the 80's.

KansasLiberal 1 year, 4 months ago

If they get rid of the penny the consumer will lose because all transactions will be rounded up rather than down, plus it would be the first step toward getting rid of the paper dollar. I don't really care for pennies, but I hate dollar coins.

CWGOKU 1 year, 4 months ago

I love Penny on Big Bang Theory

g_rock 1 year, 4 months ago

a. if they don't have them, what will I pinch?

b. what will I do for luck then?

c. I guess I'll have to get rid of my penny loafers

d. nickle for your thoughts isn't as cute...

RoeDapple 1 year, 4 months ago

And they give "Keep the change" a whole new meaning when loaded into a 10 gauge shotgun shell.

(Y'all have a good time with that one . . . )

Ronnie24 1 year, 4 months ago

Keep making the Penny. I have always picked them up when found in parking lots, or sidewalks, or about anywhere else I see them. I have had to cash them in from time to time for mild or bread, or something for my kids to eat when they were young. Pennies have come in handy for me several times. If you want to get rid of any extra you have I'll take them.

truman1902 1 year, 4 months ago

US coinage in general is dull & boring. Presidents adorning small change has worn out its welcome. Ms. Liberty and Native American images should return along with species of birds & fur bearing creatures on the reverse. BEST 20th century coins?? Standing Liberty/Flying Eagle quarters and Buffalo Nickels..Bring them BACK!

BABBOY 1 year, 4 months ago

They should keep the penny.

RoeDapple 1 year, 4 months ago

autie, it's 14 degrees outside. That's my version of Hell. I'll get back with you if it warms up.

donttreadonme 1 year, 4 months ago

Get rid of it. It costs as much to make as it's worth.

Just round up or down to the nickel, it all comes out even in the end anyway.

RoeDapple 1 year, 4 months ago

Geez, I still gots a bucket full of these Ima tryin' to spend . . .

prospector 1 year, 4 months ago

Nobody likes pennies, nobody....

Yes, along with the nickel. You can't buy anything with a nickel either. Lop a digit off the dollar.

autie 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't got no use of no damn penny. They are just a nuisance.

Roe, are we still here? Is this the alternate universe? Did we blow up last night? I guess not. I still have arthritis pain therefore I am. And Klumma/Edith Haskell are still posting. We must be OK.

LogicMan 1 year, 4 months ago

No, don't stop making them. But do further reduce the need to make so many by rounding all cash transactions up to the next five cents.

RoeDapple 1 year, 4 months ago

If you have a lot of pennies you want to get rid of, RoeDy's House of Paranoia and Failed Apocalypseses is offering huge discounts on outdated calenders today.

Klumma 1 year, 4 months ago

Answer: No. What else would be done with Zinc? Leave the penny alone. I have a small cup that can hold at least 30 of them. Watch out though, if one wanted to steal them and flip'um at you.

Klumma 1 year, 4 months ago

" Eddie_Haskell 29 minutes ago

A better question: What is John looking at?"

Not 100% sure, Edith. Looks like he was keeping it above the belt though. Must not be from Florida..

Guess the eyes went to the photogs' upper chest?...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 4 months ago

As a Nation, We have gotten rid of too many things.
Personal responsibility, morality, Josh Whedon's series "Firefly".

I fear we will soon lose more.

Andini 1 year, 4 months ago

No "Can I put my two nickels in?" doesn't sound the same.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 4 months ago

A better question: What is John looking at?

I expect some good answers. Or create a caption if you want.

labmonkey 1 year, 4 months ago

Who is the person with their hand on the button at LJWorld now? Lots of commenting disabled and of course, the blogs are still hidden. It almost seems they do not want clicks from the regulars around here.