Previous   Next

Do you think we should get rid of the penny?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 Clinton Parkway on December 20, 2012

Browse the archives

“No, they add up and still matter, even if it’s only a little bit. ”

“Yes, get rid of the penny because it doesn’t make sense to spend more on something than it’s worth – or make it out of something else. ”

“Yeah, I think you can. I got a big jar of them at home.”

“I don’t carry them. When I pay, I usually pay with a credit card. It doesn’t make a difference to me.”

Comments

labmonkey 2 years ago

Who is the person with their hand on the button at LJWorld now? Lots of commenting disabled and of course, the blogs are still hidden. It almost seems they do not want clicks from the regulars around here.

Eddie_Haskell 2 years ago

A better question: What is John looking at?

I expect some good answers. Or create a caption if you want.

Klumma 2 years ago

" Eddie_Haskell 29 minutes ago

A better question: What is John looking at?"

Not 100% sure, Edith. Looks like he was keeping it above the belt though. Must not be from Florida..

Guess the eyes went to the photogs' upper chest?...

Klumma 2 years ago

Answer: No. What else would be done with Zinc? Leave the penny alone. I have a small cup that can hold at least 30 of them. Watch out though, if one wanted to steal them and flip'um at you.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

If you have a lot of pennies you want to get rid of, RoeDy's House of Paranoia and Failed Apocalypseses is offering huge discounts on outdated calenders today.

Rae Hudspeth 2 years ago

That's an Aztec calendar, not Mayan.

LogicMan 2 years ago

No, don't stop making them. But do further reduce the need to make so many by rounding all cash transactions up to the next five cents.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Geez, I still gots a bucket full of these Ima tryin' to spend . . .

RoeDapple 2 years ago

autie, it's 14 degrees outside. That's my version of Hell. I'll get back with you if it warms up.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years ago

Every now and then a girl needs to spend a penny.

truman1902 2 years ago

US coinage in general is dull & boring. Presidents adorning small change has worn out its welcome. Ms. Liberty and Native American images should return along with species of birds & fur bearing creatures on the reverse. BEST 20th century coins?? Standing Liberty/Flying Eagle quarters and Buffalo Nickels..Bring them BACK!

Ronnie24 2 years ago

Keep making the Penny. I have always picked them up when found in parking lots, or sidewalks, or about anywhere else I see them. I have had to cash them in from time to time for mild or bread, or something for my kids to eat when they were young. Pennies have come in handy for me several times. If you want to get rid of any extra you have I'll take them.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

And they give "Keep the change" a whole new meaning when loaded into a 10 gauge shotgun shell.

(Y'all have a good time with that one . . . )

Eddie_Haskell 2 years ago

"That's an Aztec calendar, not Mayan."

Aztec Camera was cool in the 80's.

beatrice 2 years ago

They need to dump that 9/10ths of a cent added to the price of gas.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years ago

We cannot get rid of the penny, because that's the going rate for someone's thoughts. You've surely heard the phrase "A penny for your thoughts," and I'm sure you're aware that most people's thoughts are not worth a nickel.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years ago

I found a wonderful use for pennies, but it certainly does take a lot of them!

Eddie_Haskell 2 years ago

Baby I have been here before I know this room, I've walked this floor I used to live alone before I knew you. I've seen your flag on the marble arch Love is not a victory march It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

Bill Lee 2 years ago

The penny is a very useful coin. The one that needs to be dropped is the nickel. I don't know anyone who wouldn't rather have a dime than two nickels. They're too big for what they're worth. I've worked more than one cash register, and a roll of nickels seem to last forever. Quarters go quickest, then dimes, and then pennies. Halves don't get used very much because they're so large. Most people I know throw them into a jar or drawer instead of carrying them. The government vending machine owners keeps fighting for dollar coins, but until they make them very different from quarters, that's a losing battle.

Whoever said that every price would be rounded up to the next 5 cents is correct. No one is going to round prices down when profit is at stake.

gccs14r 2 years ago

What needs to happen is that all wages, prices, and debts be shifted one decimal place to the right. Then the penny will be worth something again. For fractional cents, round wages up and prices down. It would require a note exchange, and that would be a great time to get rid of the $1 bill and introduce a $2 coin. It would also flush all the cash out of the underground economy worldwide.

Eddie_Haskell 2 years ago

"My favorite song of theirs is "All I Need Is Everything: from the Knife album"

Andini, we need to hang out sometime. You definitely know your 80's bands. We could throw on some OMD, Echo and the Bunneymen, Style Council, Smiths, English Beat, The The, all that good stuff.