Previous   Next

If you could change or improve something in Lawrence, what would it be?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 13, 2012

Browse the archives

“ The governor. He seems to be going crosscurrent with the rest of the country.”

“ More and wider bike lanes near campus. It’s terrible going to class with students and buses crossing everywhere.”

“ More opportunities for teens. ”

“ I want a trolley in downtown Lawrence and to be able to expand dining areas.”

Comments

hitme 2 years ago

Street names would be corrected.

11th, 15th and 23rd streets would retain these names for their entire length.

Linda Aikins 2 years ago

You obviously still know that that's what they really are. Dead horse.

riverdrifter 2 years ago

Douglas county would secdee from the state. Let's go. SECDEE NOW!

Liberty275 2 years ago

Why can't Lawrence secede from Douglas county?

KiferGhost 2 years ago

Imagination to think outside of the box Lawrence has operated in for too long.

whats_going_on 2 years ago

I don't think they write the answers, do they? Doesn't the paper do it?

Richard Heckler 2 years ago

The fed should raise rates on developers to stifle reckless building habits which keep property values stagnate or decreasing. Flooding the real estate markets is dumb economics and produces economic displacement NOT economic growth.

FORGET THE FIELD HOUSE! This community would be better off employing people to rehab sidewalks,streets and building inter urban walking/bike trails that get our children to school safely, people to work safely and play safely. This is the better opportunity for improving health in Lawrence,Kansas. This could also keep locals employed for about 3 years at least = new economic growth by way new spending also increases property values.

Let's tighten up the real estate markets in an effort to restore value. Let's improve the existing markets with projects such that was suggested above thus adding value.

CHKNLTL 2 years ago

Yes! This is the change we need....more cowbell, indeed!

Mike Edson 2 years ago

Shut off the KU steam whistle. It is funded by KU alumni who do not live here in Lawrence and have to hear it going off multiple times a day.

Liberty275 2 years ago

I would rename Mass St to Martin Luther King Blvd in honor of our great civil rights advocate. I can't believe this is the only city I have lived in with no MLK Blvd.

Bill Lee 2 years ago

I have a section of CJOnline bookmarked, so I just checked to see if I'd have to pay to see it now. I didn't.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years ago

Reduce the strain on working people by getting rid of all the pet projects, lowering all the different taxes, and catering to people who can pay their bills, vs catering to those who can't or won't. This would build a vibrant city that would actually be attractive for those to move to and conduct business in.

Lisa Medsker 2 years ago

I don't know what happened to the things that drew me here to begin with, like the vibrant art community, friendly people, diversity of views, and a willingness for the people who live here to look out for one another, but it's absolutely gone.
I'm not sure, and haven't done any research, but there seems to be a correlation with the political climate, and the drastic increase in the use of crack, meth, "bath salts" and a strong DEA presence. Small businesses on Mass St come and go more quickly, lately. It seems like there's not much there, and it's kind of become a "Bar and Restaraunt Row". Despite the lack of local employment that pays a decent wage or salary, costs of living have gone through the roof. Maybe people are just "hunkering down" until things cycle back? I know I am. Makes me kind of sad.

rockchalker52 2 years ago

Make an even bigger parking garage & forget the new library. Keep it in the Borders building. Then, close off downtown Massachusetts street & convert it to a big pedestrian square with family friendly activities & events.

Bill Lee 2 years ago

Parsons tried that, and they ended up having to dig it all up because it hurt the downtown retail sales.

rockchalker52 2 years ago

It ain't Boulder but it could be bolder, or even Knoxville. They did it there & the place is a money magnet. And before Merrill tells me Knoxville is a zillion times bigger, their market square area is most attractive to a geographic area of about 100,000 folks including UT. Sound familiar?

whats_going_on 2 years ago

oh yeah I've been to the one in Knoxville, it's super nice!

RoeDapple 2 years ago

An indoor pistol range and a 1,000 yard rifle range. A sporting goods store that caters to weapon enthusiasts, has on-site gunsmith, firearms training and hunting guide.

You could call it . . . .

RoeDy's . . .

pizzapete 2 years ago

I'd like to see a more affordable city that could attract people to come here to buy a home or open a small business. I'd also like to see more locally owned small businesses opening in our downtown. It would also be nice to see more downtown commercial property in the hands of the actual business owners instead of the small group of money hungry developers who have made the dream of owning or renting downtown property unaffordable for all but the large out of town corporations that are moving in.

beatrice 2 years ago

Let me be that one liberal to remind you -- Romney lost! haha

Given how long you were predicting Obama would lose, I figure I have another year to rub it in.

beatrice 2 years ago

My comment was not for PizzaPete, but for a now removed comment.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

"I hear their goat died."

That is so b-a-a-a-a-d . . . .

RoeDapple 2 years ago

"I'd bring Whitney back."

I think Whitney and JK knew they were on the Titanic. And bailed.

Tony Kisner 2 years ago

Dare I say a classy place to eat like maybe a RED LOBSTER! Spoke to Amex about this last week.

gccs14r 2 years ago

A functioning rail-based public transportation system.

rockchalker52 2 years ago

fancy80 2 years ago

Add a few more cable companies. Not really satisfied with our options. And a white sandy beach would be nice...

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

ljworld sure has shut down tight all commenting on any stories at all connected to the CT shooting.

I guess the sys admin didn't want to deal with that here. however it meant a lot of locals didn't have the opportunity to respond to such intense stories.

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

^^Dang! Harley for mayor! I'm with blue73. That stuff would be awesome! Do you think there's a market for a mini-golf? Where could we put one?

---I hear Abe and Jake's is fer sale! great view and close to city hall.

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

yeah Blue, evil. guy mentally ill. we've gotta change how we care for and monitor people with serious mental disorders.

Trumbull 2 years ago

I think they should start to phase in concrete streets. More expensive, but lasts decades longer. A better long-term investment than tearing up the asphalt every other year.

scarlett 2 years ago

First,kill all the developers, get rid of city councilboys who are in bed with said developers, kill the so not needed, so called rec center, have a few bars where frat boys and other KU types are banned. Try and be friendlier and nicer to newbies and other human beings unless they're frat boys or whoo girls, tax entities like the salvation army who mightily discriminate, same with other discriminating churches. Could we also get a decent sunday brunch here and for sure we need more cabana boys.

happyrearviewmirror 2 years ago

1) Stop street harassment, including that done all the country bumpkins who've been trained to aggressively approach strangers and ask"need help." This constitutes offensive and threatening behavior that makes women and non-mainstream people uncomfortable in public.

It just makes things difficult for people. When someone reacts to the unconscious insult and inequality of status implicit in the transaction the victim gets blamed. Sure, it's good to feel you're genuinely making a contribution, but terrorizing strangers, often for discriminatory reasons, hardly counts. Realize there are at least two sides to every story, and people don't deserve to be scared off the street by busybodies.

2) Replace the dishonest KU HR that abuses the campus police system and the the county court system to retaliate against workers who expose their bad faith. KU lawyers do not exactly play fair either.