Previous   Next

What comes to mind when you hear the term “blue moon”?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 30, 2012

Browse the archives

“I think of Almond ice cream from Wisconsin.”

“A beer or the song.”

“I think of a beer.”

“I think of Indians and wolves.”

Comments

Gart 1 year, 7 months ago

"So if some crazy latina scientologist chick is the beard, who is the razor? Some high-end Norelco power shave or maybe just a bunch of disposables?"- rock52

Umm..I think you are thinking a LITTLE BIT to much about the posed comment/wonder of a man that is just waiting to legally marry John Travolta.

rockchalker52 1 year, 7 months ago

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 7 months ago

I guess Ted Nugent did his naked rain dance. It worked this time. WTH is wrong with that guy?

Liberal 1 year, 7 months ago

The time when Progressives make sense.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 7 months ago

Whenever I hear the term 'Blue Moon', I think of a real 'Blue Moon'. A very vividly blue moon occurred in 1883. That year, it was very obvious that the moon was no longer white in Victorian England. It was literally blue, and that has not happened nearly as vividly since then. The blue moon over Victorian England was considered to be very special and romantic.

But what had happened was not romantic at all. Because of the very slow methods of travel and communication in 1883, no one in England had any idea what could have possibly made the moon turn to such a vivid blue color. What had happened was the most powerful volcanic eruptions in many centuries. Blue moons also occurred after very large forest fires in Sweden and Canada in 1950 and 1951.

A disaster movie involving that eruption, titled 'Krakatoa: East of Java' (1969) was filmed and released. But, there was a problem in that Krakatoa is actually west of Java, but it was too late when the error was discovered because so much prerelease material had already been printed and filmed. In later releases, the movie was titled 'Volcano'.

Clipped from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_moo...

The key to a blue moon is having lots of particles slightly wider than the wavelength of red light (0.7 micrometre)—and no other sizes present. This is rare, but volcanoes sometimes produce such clouds, as do forest fires. Ash and dust clouds thrown into the atmosphere by fires and storms usually contain a mixture of particles with a wide range of sizes, with most smaller than 1 micrometre, and they tend to scatter blue light. This kind of cloud makes the moon turn red; thus red moons are far more common than blue moons.

The following is clipped from: http://space.about.com/od/astronomynews/a/bluemoon.htm

In 1883, an Indonesian volcano named Krakatoa exploded. Scientists liken the blast to a 100-megaton nuclear bomb. Fully 600 km (372 miles) away, people heard the noise as loud as a cannon shot. Plumes of ash rose to the very top of Earth's atmosphere. And the moon turned blue.

Krakatoa's ash was the reason. Some of the ash-clouds were filled with particles about 1 micron (one millionth of a meter) wide--the right size to strongly scatter red light, while allowing other colors to pass. White moonbeams shining through the clouds emerged blue, and sometimes green.

Blue moons persisted for years after the eruption. People also saw lavender suns and, for the first time, noctilucent clouds. The ash caused "such vivid red sunsets that fire engines were called out in New York, Poughkeepsie, and New Haven to quench the apparent conflagration," according to volcanologist Scott Rowland at the University of Hawaii.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 7 months ago

"It makes me wonder who Tom Cruise's next beard will be."

I think he already has one. Some latina chick that was born into Scientology. She been crazy all her life. She'll tow the line.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 7 months ago

It makes me wonder who Tom Cruise's next beard will be.

rockchalker52 1 year, 7 months ago

Blue moons are rare, right? or at least not the norm? Here's a pic of what happens only once in a blue moon, and it sure don't look normal to me.

If it were mine I would name it Rara Brown.

CWGOKU 1 year, 7 months ago

You all have a great 3 day weekend!

1 year, 7 months ago

American Werewolf in London of course.

riverdrifter 1 year, 7 months ago

The blue Moon tavern in Ottawa, many years ago. Isaac has finally arrived in Douglas county. He started out as a tropical depression off the west coast of Africa on Aug. 21 and as an old man he's bringing rain to Kansas. Stick around for a while, Ike.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 7 months ago

Officers in Lawrence were called to the intersection of 11th and Tennessee Street at 3:43 this morning for a report of two male subjects who were seen throwing empty kegs at passing vehicles.

If you're gonna invite Spacehog and Hollis Brown to a party, damn well don't run out of beer.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 7 months ago

“I think of a beer.”

Well honey, so do I. Matter of fact, if I hear someone sneeze I think of a beer. If I notice that I'm breathing I think of a beer. You probably have a drinking problem, so either get some help or we definitely need to hook up.

CWGOKU 1 year, 7 months ago

Is that the night the lights went out in Georgia? I want to hear more about g_rocks night out...

g_rock 1 year, 7 months ago

Oh and the beer. Especially one Sunday afternoon drinking lots of it in a bar in Savannah, Georgia while there were lots of men watching the footballs.....

LJ Whirled 1 year, 7 months ago

Nanci Griffith at Liberty Hall.

btw ... that hasn't happened for WAY too long.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 7 months ago

"OMG !! Isaac has wiped Kansas off the map!!!" Roed

All these years we have been worrying about Missouri. And it was Nebraska that ended up doing us in.

Bill Lee 1 year, 7 months ago

Like many others, the Marcels and their great recording of the song.

RoeDapple 1 year, 7 months ago

OMG !! Isaac has wiped Kansas off the map!!!

Topple 1 year, 7 months ago

I think of two full moons in one calendar month.

BABBOY 1 year, 7 months ago

I think of that stupid song.

And, well, a great big blue moon hanging in the sky....

Is there something I am missing abou this stupid question?

What do you think of when you hear the phrase green grass?

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

dit ta da dit..ding a dong ding.....bluuuuuue moooon...

I'll be hummin that all day now...thanks a lot guys.

Andini 1 year, 7 months ago

Accidentally seeing my grandmas naked behind.

g_rock 1 year, 7 months ago

Lee Rocker, oddly enough....

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 7 months ago

Last time I had the sexy. Once in a ....

Andini 1 year, 7 months ago

When it's cold out and I'm outside and then I bend over to pick up my newspaper.

Roland Gunslinger 1 year, 7 months ago

Teenagers mooning in Anchorage in January.

LadyJ 1 year, 7 months ago

Mice signing Blue Moon in Babe.

Gart 1 year, 7 months ago

An old story from my Dad. One of his buddies gassed himself in an oven over that song after losing his lost "Little Las." That would suck.

GUMnNUTS 1 year, 7 months ago

A reallllllllllly BAD beer made by Miller.

Benjamin Roberts 1 year, 7 months ago

"What comes to mind when you hear the term “blue moon”?"

Once in a blue moon.

or ....

Bom-ma-bom, a-bom-bom-a-bom, ba-ba-bom-bom-a-bomp, b-dang-a-dang-dang, b-ding-a-dong-ding.

milkman_dan 1 year, 7 months ago