Previous   Next

What do you think Lawrence Busker Festival 2012 says about Lawrence?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 24, 2012

Browse the archives

“It makes downtown fun. I don’t see Topeka or Manhattan doing something like this.”

“I think it presents a message about the sense of community. There’s an African proverb that it takes a community to raise a child.”

“I think it says we are a community that enjoys anything that happens.”

“It says that we have the ability to attract cultural diversity and make it work for the community financially”

Comments

Gotland 1 year, 7 months ago

It’s says that Lawrence is full of people stuck in adolescence, from 15 to 100 years old not quite children not quite adults.

tange 1 year, 7 months ago

I'll speculate.
It says Lawrence's veins still flow with desire for departure from the mundane.

classclown 1 year, 7 months ago

No one can really answer that question until the busker festival actually happens. Then we'll know what kind of impact it has. Speculation is worthless.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 7 months ago

Was there gurning and mopery this year?

Joe Hyde 1 year, 7 months ago

I think what the Busker Festival says about Lawrence is that "street event"-type activities sometimes happen downtown (also in many other parts of town) that involve city officials authorizing these events after close coordination with event sponsors.

In downtown I've only seen a bike race close the streets; that was cool, watching those guys roll past at Warp Factor 8. I missed the recent shot put event that closed off some downtown intersections.

So today when I drove through downtown and saw hundreds of people having a good time, some streets blocked off, it was cool. Knowing this would not be happening if city officials had serious misgivings regarding the event? Cool also because hosting an event this extensive takes good coordination involving multiple city departments.

At any rate, downtown was a cool place today, and people who enjoyed it will remember. That's one thing the Busker Festival will say good about Lawrence.

RoeDapple 1 year, 7 months ago

Oh, to heck with them buskers! Let's have a "Redneck Pride Weekend" !!

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 7 months ago

Thank you, Roe. "The Buskers put themselves out there"- frankie Now look, nobody puts themselves out there unless they do it nekked, in public. Jane's Addiction put it out there when they performed "Mountain Song" nekked at the last show the original lineup did together at Aloha Tower in Honolulu back in 1991(see above vid). I was there and I was messed up as all hell and I was nekked, too. I thought the cops would arrest Perry Farrell or at least arrest me, but they didn't do anything. This whole Busking thing really pisses me off. I think I'll go take my shirt off.

RoeDapple 1 year, 7 months ago

Eddie - copy it from the address bar above .- paste it in the comment window.

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

I saw part of one Renaissance Fair and that was plenty. No kidding, two dudes put the galvanized metal buckets on their head with eye holes drilled in them and then went to whompini on another with these big sticks..That one ole boy took a couple good licks upside that bucket and he cashed out. I mean, maybe a couple of the chicks were hot but to god danged weird...

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 7 months ago

Dammit, how do you post a youtube video?!!!!!!!!!!!!

tange 1 year, 7 months ago

It's hard to come by a busking primer not in Latin. Here's one in Deutsch, but if you unfocus your ears, you should be able to make it out...

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 7 months ago

I saw somewhere that it paints Lawrence as a welcoming community. Well then someone forgot the primer. The only worse time I've ever had was at that stupid Renaissance Festival. Some fat guy in pantyhose and a blouse kepty running around yelling "Hear Ye! Hear Ye!" and reciting a bunch of latin mumbo jumbo. I got so pissed off I threw a turkey leg at him. Then I gave him a serious tuneup. I'm pretty staid. I don't like peculiar things. Everyone should do exactly the same thing, the true motto of the political left.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 7 months ago

It says that Lawrence is truly multicultural, even if the idea drives some people to distraction. The Buskers put themselves out there, everything is happening in real life, in real time. It is wonderful to have the Buskers and the International students back in town. The more you experience things like this, the more difficult it is to hate people who are different or doing things that the staid might consider peculiar. Even better is you talk to them and listen to them.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm hoping to see Lance Armstrong on a unicycle. That's all he's allowed to ride now. I guess what goes around really does come around. Freakin' jerk. He's now #2 on my People I Wanna Fight list, right behind Shia LaBeouf.

g_rock 1 year, 7 months ago

I thought it was just a normal weekend with the college kids back in town?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 7 months ago

I don't know Lawrence Busker Festival 2012 at all, but I get the feeling he would say something snarky about Lawrence like "red is not really his color".

prospector 1 year, 7 months ago

P. T. Barnum was right you flippin suckers.

RoeDapple 1 year, 7 months ago

I thought he made balloons out of little animals . . . . .

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

Will spacehog be there making little animals out of balloons again?

Gart 1 year, 7 months ago

Umm...Sounds like a trick question, or just a stupid one. Who the hell cares about what "Lawrence Busker Festival 2012 says about Lawrence?"

LJW, you missed out. If you would have asked this, re- worded, a few weeks back with the word "carnies" during the 4-H Hick fair that was going on I am sure the response would be a bit different.. Carnies. . . . .

And...“I think it says we are a community that enjoys anything that happens.” . . . Guess someone never heard of "JONESTOWN TEMPLE" - or what ever the hell they called. -Gart