Previous   Next

Do you think standardized tests are a good measure of intelligence?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 22, 2012

Browse the archives

“No. My mom’s a high school teacher, and it makes teachers teach to the tests.”

“I think standardized testing is an OK way to measure intelligence.”

“I don’t think so. I have a lot of teacher clients that say they are pitted against last years’ standard.”

“No. It’s standardized. For one, it simply implies that it’s not a good standard for everyone.”

Comments

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years, 3 months ago

Heck no. Me and my brother got real smarts. We used the same coupon at three different Sonic locations for dirt cheap sammiches. Now that's intelligence!

jhawk0097 2 years, 3 months ago

Standardized tests are designed to test knowledge, not intelligence, so no.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 3 months ago

Standardized tests measure test-taking skills.

bevy 2 years, 3 months ago

69 Ford PIckup, 3 on the tree! I miss that truck. Dad still has it, but it's not driveable.

somedude20 2 years, 3 months ago

Who needs intelligence when you have a large penis and lots of money!!!

Eddie_Haskell 2 years, 3 months ago

How the hell would I know? Autie just blew my mind again. Autie, are talking about an eight ball of blow? That's an eighth of an ounce, or 3.5 grams. It costs about $200. Now how in the hell are you going break an eighth of an oz. into 20 dime bags? You're thinking about weed again. Look, you fried hippie, people used to sell dime bags of weed. Some people sold lids of it in the 70's. But nobody wastes time with dime bags and lids anymore. With weed, the least you'll get is an eighth, and that'll cost you $50 if it's any good. Back to coke, half an 8-ball is called a "teenth',short for 1/16th oz.. Or you could go with a teenth of meth, but I wouldn't. Kids are shooting that stuff now. Coke is a ridiculous drug and you should stay away from it. Is this on the standardized test?

Eddie_Haskell 2 years, 3 months ago

I agree with Babboy. This question is frought with inconsistancies and ambiguities. I guess you could squeeze 20 twists out of an eight ball, but you'd still be getting ripped off.

Eddie_Haskell 2 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, whatever. I do know that I can get a fifth of Barton's Vodka in a traveller for $5.99. But that would open a really rotten can of worms. I figured out when I was in jail that I probably shouldn't drink anymore.

Topple 2 years, 3 months ago

C. I don't know the correct answer to this question, but the one thing I learned from my schoolin' was to answer C when I don't know....or the longest answer...so, I suppose "yes" since it has one more letter than "no."

Eddie_Haskell 2 years, 3 months ago

He said he did, Autie. I saw him at the Shenago last night. They were throwing him out for not wearing a shirt. And for fighting. He said he emailed you. He wants to come back to the OTS but I told him it probably won't happen. Maybe we should vote on it. 10-4.

begin60 2 years, 3 months ago

Some skills, like reading and logic, are hard to observe and measure except by testing. Practiced readers tend to be better test-takers. As long as a "right" answer exists though, the possibility of screening out the most knowledgeable and creative people occurs. I often must compare when taking tests what I think is correct to what the expected answer or response will likely be.

Vocabulary size forms an important factor when measuring verbal intelligence. That goes back to reading as a key to succeeding. Tests scores seem a better, fairer way to award education and employment opportunities than nepotism or personal contacts. They at least place moderate value on skills and knowledge. Of course, they are not perfect, and they show cultural biases that favor the dominant class and mainstream society.

A prejudged place like Lawrence would do well to use test results instead of bigotry in deciding how to treat people. People who aggressively approach strangers with a sense of entitlement , acting like patronizing others equals good manners will not be well-received in sophisticated society. No one enjoys being singled out for different treatment---especially by hicks.

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

Oh, there you are! Everybody was thinking you were gonna be on frankie8's blog about the kindnesses of others & how much she appreciates it. Go read it; you might cop a clue.

innerpeace 2 years, 3 months ago

Standardized tests gauge proficiency, not intelligence. Most students can improve test scores on a standardized test through study and preparation. See, even we hicks can figure that out.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 3 months ago

Do I think standardized tests are a good measure of intelligence?

No. The only thing they actually measure is the ability to do well on a standardized test. I have a phenomenal ability to do very well on standardized ability tests, but apparently that's my greatest ability.

There are two types of standardized tests. One is a measure of what all a person has already learned and is capable of demonstrating, and the other type is what is supposed to be a measure of how quickly a person will be able to learn new things. But, it's not very accurate because the motivation to do well is very important, and a standardized test does not measure that at all.

Alfred Binet, a French psychologist, invented the first IQ test in the early 20th century. He was once asked what intelligence was. His answer: "What my test measures."

There are simply too many variables in the human mind for any kind of test to result in any more than a very broad generalization of what a person's abilities are.

Chris Golledge 2 years, 3 months ago

Rings a bell.

The early tests were intended to predict who would do well, or not, in school. School activities tend to be centered around language and math; so, those are the abilities they tend to test for. Though spatial reasoning is now commonly tested. There are other things that differentiate people that require brain power, like social relationship skills and art, that do not show up in most standardized testing.

Having said that, I'll note that 2 of the 4 responders above gave answers about tests that are not intelligence tests, and the 4th, I can't tell what she is talking about.