Previous   Next

Do you think standardized tests are a good measure of intelligence?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 22, 2012

Browse the archives

“No. My mom’s a high school teacher, and it makes teachers teach to the tests.”

“I think standardized testing is an OK way to measure intelligence.”

“I don’t think so. I have a lot of teacher clients that say they are pitted against last years’ standard.”

“No. It’s standardized. For one, it simply implies that it’s not a good standard for everyone.”

Comments

Antonym 1 year, 7 months ago

OTS seems to be a standardized test of the ability to B.S.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 7 months ago

Do I think standardized tests are a good measure of intelligence?

No. The only thing they actually measure is the ability to do well on a standardized test. I have a phenomenal ability to do very well on standardized ability tests, but apparently that's my greatest ability.

There are two types of standardized tests. One is a measure of what all a person has already learned and is capable of demonstrating, and the other type is what is supposed to be a measure of how quickly a person will be able to learn new things. But, it's not very accurate because the motivation to do well is very important, and a standardized test does not measure that at all.

Alfred Binet, a French psychologist, invented the first IQ test in the early 20th century. He was once asked what intelligence was. His answer: "What my test measures."

There are simply too many variables in the human mind for any kind of test to result in any more than a very broad generalization of what a person's abilities are.

innerpeace 1 year, 7 months ago

Standardized tests gauge proficiency, not intelligence. Most students can improve test scores on a standardized test through study and preparation. See, even we hicks can figure that out.

begin60 1 year, 7 months ago

My photograph did not attach

begin60 1 year, 7 months ago

Some skills, like reading and logic, are hard to observe and measure except by testing. Practiced readers tend to be better test-takers. As long as a "right" answer exists though, the possibility of screening out the most knowledgeable and creative people occurs. I often must compare when taking tests what I think is correct to what the expected answer or response will likely be.

Vocabulary size forms an important factor when measuring verbal intelligence. That goes back to reading as a key to succeeding. Tests scores seem a better, fairer way to award education and employment opportunities than nepotism or personal contacts. They at least place moderate value on skills and knowledge. Of course, they are not perfect, and they show cultural biases that favor the dominant class and mainstream society.

A prejudged place like Lawrence would do well to use test results instead of bigotry in deciding how to treat people. People who aggressively approach strangers with a sense of entitlement , acting like patronizing others equals good manners will not be well-received in sophisticated society. No one enjoys being singled out for different treatment---especially by hicks.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 7 months ago

He said he did, Autie. I saw him at the Shenago last night. They were throwing him out for not wearing a shirt. And for fighting. He said he emailed you. He wants to come back to the OTS but I told him it probably won't happen. Maybe we should vote on it. 10-4.

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

Eddie, do you know if Spacehog ever got my email?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 7 months ago

I actually like standardized tests.

Topple 1 year, 7 months ago

C. I don't know the correct answer to this question, but the one thing I learned from my schoolin' was to answer C when I don't know....or the longest answer...so, I suppose "yes" since it has one more letter than "no."

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 7 months ago

Yeah, whatever. I do know that I can get a fifth of Barton's Vodka in a traveller for $5.99. But that would open a really rotten can of worms. I figured out when I was in jail that I probably shouldn't drink anymore.

g_rock 1 year, 7 months ago

If your testy and you know it raise your hand...

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

Eddie, you need to go back and read the question again. The scenario of 'stepping on" 5 to 1 is merely hypothetical for the problems sake...thus many with no frame of reference to the lingo or the cultural have no idea what it is asking...right? Thus negating the validity of the 'standardize' testing. Who's standard, some burnt out hippie from the 70's or Wally Cleaver? Nobody said 20 dimes bags, the problem ask how many can John make. We can never know the answer because we don't know how much blow is in each dime..probably about a quarter teaspoon.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 7 months ago

I agree with Babboy. This question is frought with inconsistancies and ambiguities. I guess you could squeeze 20 twists out of an eight ball, but you'd still be getting ripped off.

CWGOKU 1 year, 7 months ago

It is just a test. Heck, my patience gets tested every day

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 7 months ago

How the hell would I know? Autie just blew my mind again. Autie, are talking about an eight ball of blow? That's an eighth of an ounce, or 3.5 grams. It costs about $200. Now how in the hell are you going break an eighth of an oz. into 20 dime bags? You're thinking about weed again. Look, you fried hippie, people used to sell dime bags of weed. Some people sold lids of it in the 70's. But nobody wastes time with dime bags and lids anymore. With weed, the least you'll get is an eighth, and that'll cost you $50 if it's any good. Back to coke, half an 8-ball is called a "teenth',short for 1/16th oz.. Or you could go with a teenth of meth, but I wouldn't. Kids are shooting that stuff now. Coke is a ridiculous drug and you should stay away from it. Is this on the standardized test?

prospector 1 year, 7 months ago

Damn, that bus comes early. Having to start at that ungodly hour could be the reason that they turn into horrible people.

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

It must be the first day of school. I hear tell there are kids and posters prowling in the streets.

BABBOY 1 year, 7 months ago

I object. The question is vague and ambiguous.

What kind of test, what kind of situation, what are we talking about being tested?

(to try to answer I would say that some are okay, some are not but I do not know what they are talking about so that is the best I can answer)

Machiavelli_mania 1 year, 7 months ago

I think, if anything else, it is good practice for kids to take tests, More exposure to standardized tests will increase their ability to take tests and eliminate test phobias and blocks.

somedude20 1 year, 7 months ago

Who needs intelligence when you have a large penis and lots of money!!!

CWGOKU 1 year, 7 months ago

I think think height and weight is a better way to measure people

75x55 1 year, 7 months ago

The two negative comments in the four people queried are related to HOW the tests are used and abused.

They are a "GOOD" way, not "PERFECT" or "BEST". Especially when used in a manner that pays respect to the term 'standardized'. Twisting the process or application to meet an end that is not specifically related to assessing intelligence is NOT the best use.

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

like..John has one eight ball. If he steps on it at a ratio of 5 to 1, how many dime bags can John expect?

g_rock 1 year, 7 months ago

Yes. It is a test. There are lots of test like things in life outside of the ACT. Get used to it.

What, you don't like a standardized test? I'm sorry to have offended you. What sort of test would you like? A fluffy rainbow unicorn hold my hand and tell me a story test? That sounds very lovely. Better yet, your test is to pop this piece of bubble wrap. It is designed to make even the biggest twit feel accomplished.

GO STUDY!

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 7 months ago

I suppose it depends how much Thai stick someone was smoking.

msezdsit 1 year, 7 months ago

no, one size doesn't fit all

prospector 1 year, 7 months ago

Nobody likes standardized tests. Nobody...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 7 months ago

Standardized tests are a French invention.
They are designed to sort, rank, and categorize.

How can you trust something invented by a people who don't even know how to make toast right?

Andini 1 year, 7 months ago

I don't understand this question.

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

I thought it was a kind of driving test. I can drive a standard. I learned on an old three on the tree ford galaxy.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 7 months ago

Standardized tests measure test-taking skills.

jhawk0097 1 year, 7 months ago

Standardized tests are designed to test knowledge, not intelligence, so no.

Pitt_Mackeson 1 year, 7 months ago

Heck no. Me and my brother got real smarts. We used the same coupon at three different Sonic locations for dirt cheap sammiches. Now that's intelligence!

blue73harley 1 year, 7 months ago

I am too far above standard to answer this question.