Previous   Next

If you had to reinvent or improve upon something, what would it be?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 14, 2012

Browse the archives

“I would invent stairs that became a ramp so everywhere would be wheelchair-accessible.”

“We had an awesome rail system. I’d reinvent it to go back to what we had: a better public transit system.”

“We need to improve as a society on our communication skills, particularly listening. There’s a lot of yelling, but not much listening.”

“I would reinvent the door so that no sound would come in or out.”

Comments

RoeDapple 2 years, 8 months ago

First, fuel. Make all vehicles hydrogen powered. It can be done

kansanbygrace 2 years, 8 months ago

• . .-. -- ... --- ..-. ... . .-. ...- .. -.-. . ..-. --- .-. -.-. . - --- ---

rockchalker52 2 years, 8 months ago

I would put a 'thumbs down' button on this site to go with the 'thumbs up.' I thought about an 'ignore poster' button, but my scroll wheel works just fine for that.

rockchalker52 2 years, 8 months ago

well, I'm rarely passionate to that scale, but YES!

LadyJ 2 years, 8 months ago

"DVRs would remove commercials" Hell, I would be happy to put up with the commercials if the dang things could actually record the entire show whether it started late or not.

Eddie_Haskell 2 years, 8 months ago

Already done. I invented the hydrogen infused bong. The thing feeds me when I'm lying down, asleep, and in the shower. The Bong of Bongs.......

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 8 months ago

Make the two bridges that go over the Kaw riverr transparent.

Troller 2 years, 8 months ago

Bicycle inner tubes. Definitely bicycle inner tubes. That pop-ssssssss sound is the worst sound ever.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 8 months ago

I would get rid of the medical insurance industry for I have never understood why a middleman receives money while NOT providing something like health care. This is so absurd.

Let's Compare: Single-Payer (HR 676 and S 703) Expanded Medicare for All Vs. Proposed Healthcare “Private insurance with Public Option” http://www.healthcare-now.org/docs/spreport.pdf

The reason we spend more and get less than the rest of the world is because we have a patchwork system of for-profit payers. Private insurers necessarily waste health dollars on things that have nothing to do with care: overhead, underwriting, billing, sales and marketing departments as well as huge profits and exorbitant executive pay. Doctors and hospitals must maintain costly administrative staffs to deal with the bureaucracy. Combined, this needless administration consumes one-third (31 percent) of Americans’ health dollars.

Single-payer financing is the only way to recapture this wasted money. The potential savings on paperwork, more than $400 billion per year, are enough to provide comprehensive coverage to everyone without paying any more than we already do.

Under a single-payer system, all Americans would be covered for all medically necessary services, including: doctor, hospital, preventive, long-term care, mental health, reproductive health care, dental, vision, prescription drug and medical supply costs. Patients would regain free choice of doctor and hospital, and doctors would regain autonomy over patient care.

Physicians would be paid fee-for-service according to a negotiated formulary or receive salary from a hospital or nonprofit HMO / group practice. Hospitals would receive a global budget for operating expenses. Health facilities and expensive equipment purchases would be managed by regional health planning boards.

A single-payer system would be financed by eliminating private insurers and recapturing their administrative waste. Modest new taxes would replace premiums and out-of-pocket payments currently paid by individuals and business. Costs would be controlled through negotiated fees, global budgeting and bulk purchasing.

The links below will lead you to more specific information on the details of single-payer:

http://www.pnhp.org/facts/single-payer-resources Physicians for a National Health Program

Richard Heckler 2 years, 8 months ago

“We had an awesome rail system. I’d reinvent it to go back to what we had: a better public transit system.”

— Lynate Pettengill

Brilliant thinking! Get on with it Lynate. The obsolete trafficway money would be better spent reinvesting in the electric rail system. Between Topeka and the KCMO metro. Car owners would save tons of money.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 8 months ago

— Lynate Pettengill

Where is Sam Brownback when we need him?

Kendall Simmons 2 years, 8 months ago

Regular size watering cans that, when full, don't pour out water except from where it's supposed to come out.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 8 months ago

I'd invent a filter for this award-winning website to automatically delete any text that's been copy/pasted here more than 50 times.

beatrice 2 years, 8 months ago

Let's hope that filter will also eliminate identical or nearly identical comments repeated by the same poster more than twice.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 8 months ago

Stonehenge, I would put a dome over it so that rituals can be performed in any weather and any time of the year.