Previous   Next

What was your favorite school lunch?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 13, 2012

Browse the archives

“Vegetable soup and grilled cheese. No one brought their lunch when that was on the menu.”

“I always brought my lunch — peanut butter and jelly.”

“Whatever the generic McRib was.”

Comments

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 8 months ago

"does anybody remember the snow capped weiners?" Hooty

Is that like a Purple Headed Yogurt Slinger?

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 8 months ago

"Never heard of a school serving bierocks. I don't think many kids around here would even know what they are. You were lucky." Blue

Maybe this direction. I grew up in the German area out in central Kansas. We had bierocks. The school cooked one's were pretty good. Didn't match the German one's I ate at my friend's homes. All kinds of awesome.

HootyWho 1 year, 8 months ago

i went to West, does anybody remember the snow capped weiners?and the chef salads and fruit plates??? i have to admit i liked the char burgers and tater tots,,,i'd never had a tater tot till i went to junior high

LadyJ 1 year, 8 months ago

Little known fact, Lawrence elementary students can go home for lunch. We did it for years in the 90's, doubt they have changed it. In fact, most of the principles don't know the students can leave for lunch, must sign out though.

Sherry Warren 1 year, 8 months ago

My Middle School lunch ladies made bierocks for us at least once a month. They were amazing, and made with love. I hated leaving to go to the high school, where they still loved us and made real food, but no bierocks. And YES to chili and cinnamon rolls. Those ladies made em for us Kindergarten through 12th. Fantastic!

My son takes his lunch because he hates the frozen and heated up processed food that schools around here offer.

Ceallach 1 year, 8 months ago

Lawrence High School's chili and a big cinnamon roll! (Of course, that was so far back, staff members actually prepared the food in the school.)

pace 1 year, 8 months ago

Well, fifty years ago Dawson School had the best cook in the district. Mrs. Roudibucsh made her own noodles and chicken on mashed potatoes for 90 students, every other Friday. The alternatives Fridays were home made cinnamon rolls Every Friday our school was "inspected" by any school official who could find an excuse. They included the school into the city system, left it open one year then transferred the students to another school utilizing portables.

Great cook, never a dull meal. I was ashamed of the food I let my daughter and son eat at their schools. Officially slop. At least they usually had a bit of fresh vegs,and fruit, from home. my daughter was more willing to take a lunch than my boy.

Richard Payton 1 year, 8 months ago

Do they still serve sheee...t on a shingle?

George_Braziller 1 year, 8 months ago

We had great school lunches. I can't think of anything I didn't like. One of the cafeteria staff's primary responsibilities was baking so we had freshly baked bread, rolls, or cinnamon rolls every single day.

And no this wasn't a private school, it was a small 1-A public school in central Kansas.

CWGOKU 1 year, 8 months ago

What, no mention of pigs in a blanket?

I write and bat left handed, everything else, right handed

RoeDapple 1 year, 8 months ago

School lunch was 30 cents but if you went to Griff's, for 50 cents you could get . . . . Griff's. (burger, fries and a small coke)(make that "Coca-Cola")

rockchalker52 1 year, 8 months ago

Indyan seems a tad impatient considering that 17 days is an eye blink of his lifespan.

I have never taken my left-handedness internationally except for that one time in Juarez.

riverdrifter 1 year, 8 months ago

We had open lunch as well back when the dinosaurs roamed. I'd go for lunch at the Dari Ring a block away and have a burger or porktender with fries and a coke. Small cone for desert. Cafeteria food at school was always a last resort.

My_Life 1 year, 8 months ago

Indyan says thank God the Owhimpics are over. Now He can get back to some serious reality TV. He wants to see shows about rocks and how they struggle in agony with the menacing drop of water and father time.

Oh, favorite lunch, any sandwich with the crust cut off.

RoeDapple 1 year, 8 months ago

Happy International Left Handers Day . . . .

milkman_dan 1 year, 8 months ago

Bierocks made by real Germans, but not the ones with organ meat or brains that lector liked. more onion & pepper and no cabbage. these things sure soak up a lot of alcohol.

eotw33 1 year, 8 months ago

Spicy chicken sandwich at freestate

RoeDapple 1 year, 8 months ago

Apparently snap_pop_no_crackle never has liked spam . . .

;-)

BABBOY 1 year, 8 months ago

My school had an open lunch do I avoided it as much as I could going out to eat....

We went to this place on sixth street in Topeka and got Tacos from Taco Al at Taco Casa....

MarcoPogo 1 year, 8 months ago

Rectangular pizzas and the good ol' Chickenwich!

Topple 1 year, 8 months ago

Those hexagon fiesta pizzas.

The mashed potatoes and chicken gravy was good too, especially to dip chicken nuggets in.

Edit Anything with pink slime!

somedude20 1 year, 8 months ago

We use to go to the pipe and our lunch was Beast or Miller and a marijuana cigarette then maybe have a big cookie

CWGOKU 1 year, 8 months ago

Gruel

I actually liked the chicken fried steak and mash potatoes

prospector 1 year, 8 months ago

Jerky and hardtack with cold sausage gravy for dessert.

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 8 months ago

Ah! Who could forget the Chili Cheese Coney Dogs? I had my first case of heartburn and the Runs with one of those.Oh the memories of school days past.

autie 1 year, 8 months ago

Paul R. Getto50 minutes ago

Chili and homemade cinnamon rolls at THE Lawrence High School back in the 1960's.

Paul, I could make the same comment and only change the school name. Our Junior High circa 1968/1969 had these ladies cooking up stuff and holy jeebus. Their baked goods were fantastical good. On chili day we would go eat a big bowl of chili, commandeer a couple of cinammon rolls and woof it all down...then go down to my house and smoke cigarettes behind the garage. Hmm...damn that was a long time ago.

g_rock 1 year, 8 months ago

Whatever the mystery lunch meat sandwich was that I would slather mayonnaise on (mayo was exotic to me as I only got miracle whip at home). Anything with gravy. Rectangular pizza. Chili and homemade cinnamon rolls. And in high school...pasta bar!!!

trinity 1 year, 8 months ago

Favorite lunch to "diss" on-potato boats. Whoever in their right mind would plop a scoop of mashed taters on top of an icky warm piece of baloney and top it off with shredded cheese?? On the other hand-sauer kraut. Oh man I loved it then&love it now! Small parochial school, one dear German lady and one sweet Hispanic lady cooked all our stuff from scratch! Including the fluffy high melt in your mouth rolls. Siggghhh....

Paul R Getto 1 year, 8 months ago

Andini 1 year, 8 months ago

The butter squares I scraped from the ceiling.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 8 months ago

Eating at the hamburger stand across the street and playing pinball.

LadyJ 1 year, 8 months ago

Not my favorite lunch, but my mother would make us balogna sandwiches with butter and Miracle Whip on them. Why on earth would you put fat on fat?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 8 months ago

I only ate school lunch when I was on safety patrol duty.

Bill Lee 1 year, 8 months ago

red snapper or lamb, neither of which I eat anymore.

emily_litella 1 year, 8 months ago

The rich kids got to eat lunch, I didn't. But guess what? They're all fat adults now.

Gart 1 year, 8 months ago

Hmm... Just watched the closing of the Olytimtics. All the great English/Brit singer/songwriters were included except for "Madge" - A.K.A. Madonna. Is she no longer a Brit? Maybe she went back to Detroit. Have heard she may be French now. . . .

Gart 1 year, 8 months ago

A brown bag surprise from my mom at Centennial Elementary School when I could not have a "hot lunch." Still remember the metal pudding cup for dessert that flicked stuff on the other kids when opening.

Back then, though. For hot lunch, would have to be goulash (sp.?). - I sure do miss Mr. Lloyd.