Previous   Next

What was your favorite school lunch?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 13, 2012

Browse the archives

“Vegetable soup and grilled cheese. No one brought their lunch when that was on the menu.”

“I always brought my lunch — peanut butter and jelly.”

“Whatever the generic McRib was.”

Comments

Gart 2 years, 2 months ago

A brown bag surprise from my mom at Centennial Elementary School when I could not have a "hot lunch." Still remember the metal pudding cup for dessert that flicked stuff on the other kids when opening.

Back then, though. For hot lunch, would have to be goulash (sp.?). - I sure do miss Mr. Lloyd.

Gart 2 years, 2 months ago

Hmm... Just watched the closing of the Olytimtics. All the great English/Brit singer/songwriters were included except for "Madge" - A.K.A. Madonna. Is she no longer a Brit? Maybe she went back to Detroit. Have heard she may be French now. . . .

Bill Lee 2 years, 2 months ago

red snapper or lamb, neither of which I eat anymore.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 2 months ago

Lily is a lousy, rotten spammer posting lousy, rotten spam.

LadyJ 2 years, 2 months ago

Not my favorite lunch, but my mother would make us balogna sandwiches with butter and Miracle Whip on them. Why on earth would you put fat on fat?

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years, 2 months ago

Eating at the hamburger stand across the street and playing pinball.

Ceallach 2 years, 2 months ago

Didn't see your entry when I was browsing the list before making mine post -- they were the best!!

trinity 2 years, 2 months ago

Favorite lunch to "diss" on-potato boats. Whoever in their right mind would plop a scoop of mashed taters on top of an icky warm piece of baloney and top it off with shredded cheese?? On the other hand-sauer kraut. Oh man I loved it then&love it now! Small parochial school, one dear German lady and one sweet Hispanic lady cooked all our stuff from scratch! Including the fluffy high melt in your mouth rolls. Siggghhh....

Thomas Bryce 2 years, 2 months ago

Ah! Who could forget the Chili Cheese Coney Dogs? I had my first case of heartburn and the Runs with one of those.Oh the memories of school days past.

somedude20 2 years, 2 months ago

We use to go to the pipe and our lunch was Beast or Miller and a marijuana cigarette then maybe have a big cookie

Topple 2 years, 2 months ago

Those hexagon fiesta pizzas.

The mashed potatoes and chicken gravy was good too, especially to dip chicken nuggets in.

Edit Anything with pink slime!

MarcoPogo 2 years, 2 months ago

Rectangular pizzas and the good ol' Chickenwich!

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

Apparently snap_pop_no_crackle never has liked spam . . .

;-)

Flap Doodle 2 years, 2 months ago

Treet was the mystery meat of choice in my childhood. It was pretty lousy also.

eotw33 2 years, 2 months ago

Spicy chicken sandwich at freestate

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

Happy International Left Handers Day . . . .

riverdrifter 2 years, 2 months ago

We had open lunch as well back when the dinosaurs roamed. I'd go for lunch at the Dari Ring a block away and have a burger or porktender with fries and a coke. Small cone for desert. Cafeteria food at school was always a last resort.

rockchalker52 2 years, 2 months ago

Indyan seems a tad impatient considering that 17 days is an eye blink of his lifespan.

I have never taken my left-handedness internationally except for that one time in Juarez.

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

School lunch was 30 cents but if you went to Griff's, for 50 cents you could get . . . . Griff's. (burger, fries and a small coke)(make that "Coca-Cola")

riverdrifter 2 years, 2 months ago

Yep. Man, I loved Griff's. Hey, I'm a lefty. I didn't know it was our day today.

George_Braziller 2 years, 2 months ago

We had great school lunches. I can't think of anything I didn't like. One of the cafeteria staff's primary responsibilities was baking so we had freshly baked bread, rolls, or cinnamon rolls every single day.

And no this wasn't a private school, it was a small 1-A public school in central Kansas.

Richard Payton 2 years, 2 months ago

Do they still serve sheee...t on a shingle?

pace 2 years, 2 months ago

Well, fifty years ago Dawson School had the best cook in the district. Mrs. Roudibucsh made her own noodles and chicken on mashed potatoes for 90 students, every other Friday. The alternatives Fridays were home made cinnamon rolls Every Friday our school was "inspected" by any school official who could find an excuse. They included the school into the city system, left it open one year then transferred the students to another school utilizing portables.

Great cook, never a dull meal. I was ashamed of the food I let my daughter and son eat at their schools. Officially slop. At least they usually had a bit of fresh vegs,and fruit, from home. my daughter was more willing to take a lunch than my boy.

George_Braziller 2 years, 2 months ago

I had great cafeteria food in grade school and high school but in junior high it was horrific. The fifth through eighth grades were bussed to another town because it was a small town unified school district.

It was disgusting. The worst offense was "Baloney Boats." A chunk of of it crammed into a muffin tin, a scoop of instant mashed potatoes put inside and then some really greasy cheese sprinkled over the top then thrown into the oven and burned at a high temperature.

Before even attempting to eat it you had to pull off the burned plastic so you could dump out the grease at the bottom.

It was disgusting.

Ceallach 2 years, 2 months ago

Lawrence High School's chili and a big cinnamon roll! (Of course, that was so far back, staff members actually prepared the food in the school.)

Sherry Warren 2 years, 2 months ago

My Middle School lunch ladies made bierocks for us at least once a month. They were amazing, and made with love. I hated leaving to go to the high school, where they still loved us and made real food, but no bierocks. And YES to chili and cinnamon rolls. Those ladies made em for us Kindergarten through 12th. Fantastic!

My son takes his lunch because he hates the frozen and heated up processed food that schools around here offer.

LadyJ 2 years, 2 months ago

Little known fact, Lawrence elementary students can go home for lunch. We did it for years in the 90's, doubt they have changed it. In fact, most of the principles don't know the students can leave for lunch, must sign out though.

HootyWho 2 years, 2 months ago

i went to West, does anybody remember the snow capped weiners?and the chef salads and fruit plates??? i have to admit i liked the char burgers and tater tots,,,i'd never had a tater tot till i went to junior high