Previous   Next

How do you stay active?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 W. 23rd St. on August 6, 2012

Browse the archives

“I do water aerobics, garden and walk.”

“I walk daily, play golf and take care of two garden spots.”

“I go to the gym three times a week. I don’t like the treadmill much, but I lift weights.”

Comments

LadyJ 2 years, 4 months ago

Who has time to stay active? I have too much to do. Darn, it's almost time to leave for work. :(

rockchalker52 2 years, 4 months ago

Does anybody know how long that stretch of bike/jog path is from the Rotary Arboretum to the Clinton Dam Road? It gets longer every time I brag about jogging there.

classclown 2 years, 4 months ago

Sit on the bench watching the girls go by dressed in their summer clothes. At least my eyes are staying pretty active and my heart rate increases so that sort of counts as a workout right?

I need to get me some cake mix.

classclown 2 years, 4 months ago

Did anyone else notice that you can re size the comment boxes? Don't know why you would want to, but you can.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 4 months ago

By gosh so that is why that thingy is there! Thanks for the heads up!

classclown 2 years, 4 months ago

Not that they stay that way. Once you post your comment they go back to their original size.

I smell cake.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 4 months ago

Okay, I will tell you. Here is the story from olympics.org

Synchronised swimming is a relatively new discipline that has its origins in water acrobatics. It is hugely popular in the United States. Glass tank performer

At the turn of the 20th century, Annette Kellerman, an Australian swimmer, toured the United States performing water acrobatics. Her shows proved very popular and a sport was born.

Performing with music

The sport was developed further by Katherine Curtis, who had the idea of combining water acrobatics with music. Her students performed at the 1933-34 Chicago "Century of Progress" Fair, where the announcer, former Olympic swimming gold medallist Norman Ross, coined the term "synchronised swimming". Hollywood glamour

Synchronised swimming was later popularised by American film star Esther Williams, who performed water ballet in several American movies. The competitive aspect was developed around the same time when Frank Havlicek, a student of Katherine Curtis, drew up a set of rules. Olympic history

A relatively recent discipline, synchronised swimming became an Olympic sport for the first time in Los Angeles in 1984, with solo and duet events. These events also took place at the Olympic Games in 1988 in Seoul and in 1992 in Barcelona. Atlanta replaced them in 1996 by a water ballet for eight people. Since the 2000 Olympic Games, the Olympic programme has included the team event and the duet. Alongside rhythmic gymnastics, synchronised swimming is the only exclusively female Olympic sport.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 4 months ago

Show me the way to go home,
I'm drunk and I want to go to bed,
I had a little drink about an hour ago,
And, it went straight to my head.
Where ever I may roam,
On land or sea or foam,
I always sing this little song,
Show me the way to go home.

Shark hunting!!!

JackMcKee 2 years, 4 months ago

Most of the tubby overweight shutins that frequent this site would have a heart attack and die after a week of JackMcKee bootcamp. It makes Red Dog look like a walk in the park. Typical day involves 20 miles of something, could be walking, running, cycling or competitive BBQing, 200 of something else, for example, pushups, situps, pullups or ounces of beer and finally a dinner consisting of nothing more than a salad with a few toppings that might include a ribeye steak and twice baked potato.

Hard Core.

Eddie_Haskell 2 years, 4 months ago

Mostly by loving myself. I went to see Hollis Brown in the joint last weekend. He said he does 3000 pushups/day, nekked.

bevy 2 years, 4 months ago

I run away from that annoying guy who goes around asking the OTS question every day.

Eddie_Haskell 2 years, 4 months ago

Yes, Autie. And thank you for the letter. I didn't know you knew how to write.

Eddie_Haskell 2 years, 4 months ago

Ah, yes. It is truly good to touch the green green grass of home.

riverdrifter 2 years, 4 months ago

Don't worry about it much. I'm 6' 1" 170lbs. Just keep going. Tomorrow, chopping silage, yet again. They'll be plenty of aerobics.