Previous   Next

What do you think of the city’s donation meter designated to help the homeless?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 2, 2012

Browse the archives

“I think it’s a great idea, especially since places (that help the homeless) might be experiencing cuts right now; if it’s visible and I saw it here, I would be inclined to put my change in there rather than take it home.”

“I think it’s great because the more convenient it is for people to donate the more likely it is they’ll do it.”

“It’s a great idea as long as it’s secure and someone doesn’t rip it off. It would be great for loose change, especially if it had a coin sorter (for pennies).”

“I think that’s a good idea as long it’s going to help the homeless community. There should be some kind of sign that makes it clear who and what the money is for.”

Comments

RoeDapple 2 years, 4 months ago

Great idea! Where in West Lawrence did they install it?

50YearResident 2 years, 4 months ago

The more you give, the more that will be required. This veiled approval of bums in Lawrence is going to come back and bite the city in the a$$. And it's not that far in the future either.

rockchalker52 2 years, 4 months ago

I like it. Put a quarter in the meter & get 26 minutes to panhandle as much as you can.

Brandi Simpson-Glover 2 years, 4 months ago

most stupid thing I have ever heard. are you serious? that is just ridiculous!

pace 2 years, 4 months ago

Some never miss a chance to express hate for people. Some are so eager to express how they feel it does not bother them they seldom think. They even fail to realize their hate is seen by me as fear and cowardice. I think such haters lack both character and habit of thought. Some haters just fear ideas that are put forward as solutions. Their jello headed thought process are people should feel like they feel and do nothing but mean hearted and stupid acts, Because they really feel that way. Maybe their parents were thoughtless wads but I have seen such people come from good homes, good parents. At some point they are responsible for their voice and reasons and the quality of reason they present..I think they should put a meter up for people to help educate haters, many of them racists, to get a life. Maybe if real people with real lives interact with the haters , the haters will wake up and will focus on the character of a person rather than their check book. Destructive haters are more problem with our community than unemployed, under employed or homeless. The haters and the thoughtless are more damaging to our community than any bum. But this isn't specifically about Brownback. Good luck with the meter. I don't give money to pan handlers. If the same people hating the poor or homeless weren't the same people fighting the economic health of this country, praying the jobs crisis worsens so they can get their billionaires in office. Because all they see is the cash value of a person. Rich to them means smart, good. Some rich people are smart and good, some poor too. Some rich people are just crooks, some poor people too. I know it sounds old fashioned to speak of character and to suggest good argument rather than hate speech. It is how I roll.

520dude 2 years, 4 months ago

They said that someone else's hate is bad but thier's is ok.

pace 2 years, 4 months ago

You must of missed what I actually wrote. I responded to very specific comments and my response to the quality and tenor of the comments, lacking depth and qualified them as just knee jerk hate remarks. You assumed, incorrectly, that I hated the people, while such assumptions are your right, they aren't good argument, just more hate remarks, empty.

Mike1949 2 years, 4 months ago

@Pace, I sometimes roll with you on some points, but OonlBonly makes a good point and in some (not all) some incidences she/he is correct also.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years, 4 months ago

Pace is one of those who gets his jollies from spending everyone elses money on feels good things. Most of the root of the problem in this city.

pace 2 years, 4 months ago

Can't think, just feels, assumes people fit his foolish stereotypes. Can't, don't let facts ever get in your way.

Liberty275 2 years, 4 months ago

"Destructive haters are more problem with our community than unemployed"

Flowers in the dustbin, poison in the human machine. Your future.

(paraphrased from a source)

John Hamm 2 years, 4 months ago

@Pace - You know most of those "panhandlers" are professionals, many of which are more than "able-bodied" and could work if they chose to do so? There is absolutely no justification for giving them money!

EarthaKitt 2 years, 4 months ago

Please tell me you're joking. If you're not... I'm guessing most of the homeless folks either suffer from mental illness, addiction, or are simply down on their luck. Rather than turn our backs on them and wish them away (to someone else's town) wouldn't it make more sense to work on their mental health, beat back their addictions, or help them to get back on their feet? How do you expect someone who's mentally ill and living on the streets to get a job? Are you hiring?

Last fall a neighbor told me he knew of a man and his kids who were new to town but without enough money to do all the things you need to do to get lodging in this college town. He sought help from a local group who gave him food and a place to stay, and helped him get some supplies to work. Then that man, along with his kids, went from house to house raking and cleaning yards. It was back-breaking work, but he said his goal was to turn the work into a business. Last I heard he was well on his way to making a life for himself and his family. What if we'd all poo-pooed his predicament and turned our backs? That story wouldn't have nearly the happy ending that it has.

So as long as your conscience can stand it, please feel free to continue keeping your spare change in your own pockets. The rest of us will do the lifting.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years, 4 months ago

Does not bother me a bit. I help with this alot. I choose to do it directly and only support specific ones in need, not the rank and file degenerates that live day to day off the general public. Lorn Henderson included. If you desire to assist needy families, then you might consider doing it thru the churches. Churches tend to assist those who really need it vs those who panhandle all day then head for the Replay lounge. You do the town or the panhandlers no good by giving them money, food or clothing directly, you only bring them back the next day.

pace 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't give panhandlers my change or my bills, as I stated. I don't assume that panhandlers are anything but individual human being with great variables, I find stereotyping even the jello minded to be of no interest.

JackMcKee 2 years, 4 months ago

If memory serves correctly, this was another Cromwell special. It should go without additional comment that this is a really dumb idea.

Jonathan Fox 2 years, 4 months ago

Does the money go to help pay for the millions of dollars we've dumped into the new homeless shelter?

labmonkey 2 years, 4 months ago

At least the people should get some entertainment for their money... how about bum cage matches in Lawrence.

Ragingbear 2 years, 4 months ago

Anyone notice that 3 of the 4 people shown look like they are the same person from different points in time?

woodscolt 2 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, jacob and henry were twins separated at birth and Rick gets his beard trimmed at the same place.

rockchalker52 2 years, 4 months ago

Wow, some days I can still relate to Dennis, but most of the time I feel like Mr. Wilson.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 4 months ago

OMG that is disheartening. I remember when he was just a young lad in a television show about two boys in India. They rode around on an elephant from place to place.

3up3down 2 years, 4 months ago

There used to be a day when a group of us pooled our money, bought them a bus ticket, told the driver not to let them off till the ticket destination, put them on the bus and waved good bye. Can we bring those days back??

woodscolt 2 years, 4 months ago

Anytime anyone starts advocating that people actually help other people out,(god forbid, with their own money at that) it is a slippery slope. Next thing you know (literally only days later) were all communists.

50YearResident 2 years, 4 months ago

The front page picture is worth a thousand words. The bum is sitting next to the meter to collect the donation directly. Don't bother to put the coin in the meter, just hand it over now, thanks. This is the reason the meter will not work to stem panhandling downtown. It will have an opposite effect.

bornon7 2 years, 4 months ago

Does the lack of proper punctuation in these posts bother anyone else?

50YearResident 2 years, 4 months ago

At that rate it will take 3 years to pay for the installation of the meters. Then the labor to empty them will need to be recovered. Doesn't look any more cost effective than the "T".

Bigdog66046 2 years, 4 months ago

nope actually we will never recover any of OUR money. It doesn't sound like any money goes to city, not even to cover the expense, So basicaly just ANOTHER hand out for the homeless shelter. ENOUGH!!! Please stop giving out tax dollars to them!! Use this money for the busker fest or something simular. NOT SHELTER

Bigdog66046 2 years, 4 months ago

actually maybe he is the one that pays the bills because he chooses not to throw his good money away, to the "needy". Untill the shelter stops enabeling the life style and truly help the ones that just need a short term hand, no point to have them.

labmonkey 2 years, 4 months ago

Your time must not be that valuable if you are on LJWorld making angry posts.

labmonkey 2 years, 4 months ago

"and I abhor KFC and all it stands for."

Heh, that rhymes.

RoeDapple 2 years, 4 months ago

Ima likin' BABBOY more each day. Even though he would probably like to kick my A$$.

Checkers for chicken gizzards. Flip the rest of those chicken houses.

labmonkey 2 years, 4 months ago

I give money to the Salvation Army. Not only do they help out in disasters, but they also take people off the streets and put them to work while trying to help them get jobs in the real world. Plus less than 10% goes for administrative/overhead costs unlike that middle-man the United Way.

UfoPilot 2 years, 4 months ago

When do we get parking meters for politicians? When the time is up, They have to leave.

estafel 2 years, 4 months ago

Homeless people aren't noble savages. They're just as manipulative as the rest of us. Services, here in Lawrence, provide job and/+ education opportunities for those in need. Treatment, etc. I know this first hand. I believe in women's shelters, veteran care, treatment for all, etc. These meters tho? Stupid progressive facade. Waste of effort and money. Asking local businesses to harbor or sponsor donation meters in their structures would have been more intelligent, and would keep pigeons from hanging out on the bird feeders.

Randall Uhrich 2 years, 4 months ago

It's a PC solution to deny direct help to people who may really need it. But, it does make the donor feel better about himself. $51 in 30 days is hardly worth it. That's a whopping $600 a year!

pace 2 years, 4 months ago

While I will drop my change in the meter, I think donating to veteran organizations (be choosy) would help a significant portion of the homeless more effectively. If one didn't want to donate money, one could write to our Congresspersons or Senators, tell them to get their platitudes out of their mouth and put their vote up for support to the vets, with programs that encourage recovery, education, health, and community. Of designating tax money, there should be tax for the yellow ribbons, that money should go to the vets, rather than the corporations that sell those ribbons wholesale or retail. That money is not designated for any vet, it is all show and no go.