Previous   Next

Have you ever taken something someone left behind for trash pick-up while moving? Do you think ‘Dumpster diving’ should be illegal?

Asked at Dillons, 3000 W. Sixth St. on August 2, 2012

Browse the archives

“No, but I see so many people doing it, I think it’s fine.”

“It should be a fair go — is someone can use something someone else doesn’t want, that’s a good thing.”

“I got a decent couch once.”

“I took a hanger rack and a table one year.”

Comments

Richard Heckler 1 year, 8 months ago

Dumpster diving is good for recycling and the local economy. Keep those material goods moving.

Pastor_Bedtime 1 year, 8 months ago

It's amazing the useful things these folks toss out. I'd go out more often to dive but I'm concerned about those turkeys falling from the sky. Oh the humanity! ~Leslie Nessman

Bob Harvey 1 year, 8 months ago

We had someone take a perfectly nice bistro set from us. Problem was it wasn't in the trash nor even near the curb. Christmas decorations too. Someone even tried to retrieve the American flag, still hanging from a pole. Nice to see we had patriotic thieves.

OonlyBonly 1 year, 8 months ago

Heck yes I'll take things I can use and no it shouldn't be illegal.

RoeDapple 1 year, 8 months ago

The guy who stole my trash barrel was driving a white Dodge pickup.

g_rock 1 year, 8 months ago

Is the red pickup guy still around? I haven't seen him lately on his usual rounds.

kernal 1 year, 8 months ago

Just don't put your old checks, or any other documents with your personal information such as social security number, any passwords, bank statements, credit card bills, etc. There are people who dumpster dive looking specifically for that kind of info. It will follow you and be a nightmare for years.

Rex Hargis 1 year, 8 months ago

R-I the holes in the side of the kindle are to hold it in the cover that was designed for it. Pretty handy, actually...

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 8 months ago

I would have had no furniture in my studio apt. during college without Diving. You must be careful though. Had a friend that found a great couch. Took it home. That night we had a possum in our apartment living room! I swear it had to have come out of the couch.

RoeDapple 1 year, 8 months ago

"Do you have your own "man bathroom"?" - LadyJ

All within these walls be sacred. The bunker . . . Roe Rules.

90sgirl 1 year, 8 months ago

Things that I throw away routinely disappear from the curb, I'm glad someone else can use the stuff, better than it rotting in a landfill.

Bill Lee 1 year, 8 months ago

I've watched people carry off stuff I left at the curb including my living room furniture before one of my moves. I got some good stuff out of the dumpster behind the downtown Kief's store when it closed.

RoeDapple 1 year, 8 months ago

autie - sometimes it is with great effort that I appear as dumb as I look . . . okay, maybe not so much.

JayCat_67 1 year, 8 months ago

Been awhile back, but when I was stationed in Germany, they had one day a month where people would put out anything they no longer wanted and you could pick it up. We called it "junking".

autie 1 year, 8 months ago

Leslie Van Houten. Google that one time machine boy.

@Roe: Leslie Van Swearingen...aka hermione, aka...oh forget it.

RoeDapple 1 year, 8 months ago

"Lesley Anne Down was hot back in the day"

So was Mae West . . . and Ester Williams . . .

verity 1 year, 8 months ago

The decent couch calls to mind the Big Bang episode where Penny finds a perfectly good chair.

CWGOKU 1 year, 8 months ago

I am not old, I just like movie trivia. My grandfather had a crush on Leslie Caron. OK, maybe I am old, my kids tell me that I am. Lesley Anne Down was hot back in the day

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 8 months ago

"If it makes you feel any better about the online company you keep, I had to Google three of the four Leslie's mentioned."

I too get Leslie Mann and Leslie Bibb confused.

Hey, does anyone know what the two teeny slots on the left side of a Kindle keyboard 3G are for? Some kind of docking station?

autie 1 year, 8 months ago

Old? Not hardly. You know, I recall when a cruise in the alleys of certain neighborhoods could potentially yield thrown away gold. Those rich ass JOCO kids get their daddys to buy them cool stuff for their places and then since they don't got no sense and are too lazy to haul anything, they tossed out good stuff.

RoeDapple 1 year, 8 months ago

I have underwear older than R_I

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 8 months ago

"You guys are weird.

And old." RI

CWGOKU 1 year, 8 months ago

Moe Howard was a fine, fine actor

CWGOKU 1 year, 8 months ago

Leslie Cochran > Leslie Nielson > Leslie Howard > Leslie Caron

Odd question today. I don't and won't put alot of thought into dumpsters

KansasLiberal 1 year, 8 months ago

I always thought that dumpster diving was when you got food out of dumpsters and I don't think that I'd ever do that, but the things people leave behind as trash when moving in college towns are much, much different that what's left behind everywhere else. Most of the stuff thrown away in college towns shouldn't be thrown away, so like Ljames said it's better to keep it out of the landfill than to allow it to get taken away just because someone threw it away.

rockchalker52 1 year, 8 months ago

Knew a guy who dumpster dived (is it dived or dove?) 300+ days a year for 30+ years. His yard sales were legendary. The Great Leslie >all other Leslies.

The Great Leslie in 'The Great Race'

The Great Leslie in 'The Great Race' by rockchalker52

RoeDapple 1 year, 8 months ago

Yeah, my brother used to dumpster dive. When he died it took us five dumpsters to haul off all the crap computer junk he had hoarded in the house. We're talkin' shoulder high in the upstairs, ground floor and basement. And that was the second time, we did it before when he was (literally) living in our parents basement. Did I mention he was a hoarder? So no, I don't dumpster dive.

But y'all are welcome to dig through my trash. I recommend not doing it after dark. And you might want to call ahead.

Did I mention I burn most of my trash . . . ?

(Hell, some clown stopped and stole my trash barrel in June! And I was standing there in my doorway with my jaw all slack watchin' him do it!)

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 8 months ago

"Leslie Cochran > Leslie Nielson > Leslie Howard" Ri

Austin's White Owl?

BABBOY 1 year, 8 months ago

I have no issue with it. But, would never do it as it is too strange for me.

Interesting issue would be for the cops. Currently, cops can search the trash of suspected drug dealer for evidence (baggies or whatever) which could allow arrest or cause to search house. The premise being there is no expectation of privacy for putting your stuff out where public can grab it.

If I represented druggies, which I do not, I would argue the law creates a expectation of privacy and the cops need a warrant to search your trash if such a law prohibiting dumpster diving was in affect.

LawrenceTownie 1 year, 8 months ago

After I found out my boss was "diving" I gave it a try. Not bad if you don't go in too deep. Once I found a nice looking lamp, resprayed it a nice new color, put on a new shade, and it looked new. Used it for many years, then passed it on to my daughter. I used to go to the dump twice a year, as I live in the country. I saw a fairly good animal feeder, and with help was able to wrestle it into my truck. I still used it today after 20 years. I think everyone should have to make a trip to the dump to see what we are doing to our beautiful hills north of Lawrence. Then if everyone would recycle, the trash heaps would go down. Almost everything can be recycled. When I started doing that, no more trips to the dump, now over 20 years and counting. Dive on mates.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 8 months ago

Leslie Cochran > Leslie Nielson > Leslie Howard

Flap Doodle 1 year, 8 months ago

That's how I got my first lemur.

prospector 1 year, 8 months ago

Yeah, so? Flippin' goofy laws can be real stupid.

I will drive with my brights on if I want.

g_rock 1 year, 8 months ago

If you don't drop that sofa, you are going to jail. Yah, cause that makes sense....

autie 1 year, 8 months ago

Leslie Howard was really a wonderful actor.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 8 months ago

Nope.

Sounds as dangerous as sexting while driving.

Please for the love of Lindsey Lohan's head on a pike, stop before you steal.

Loretta James 1 year, 8 months ago

people are always saying recycle why not let someone take it that needs it and keep it out of the landfill.