Previous   Next

Have you ever taken something someone left behind for trash pick-up while moving? Do you think ‘Dumpster diving’ should be illegal?

Asked at Dillons, 3000 W. Sixth St. on August 2, 2012

Browse the archives

“No, but I see so many people doing it, I think it’s fine.”

“It should be a fair go — is someone can use something someone else doesn’t want, that’s a good thing.”

“I got a decent couch once.”

“I took a hanger rack and a table one year.”

Comments

Loretta James 2 years, 4 months ago

people are always saying recycle why not let someone take it that needs it and keep it out of the landfill.

parrothead8 2 years, 4 months ago

Please accept my apologies beforehand if I can't see because of your brights and happen to drive into you.

LawrenceTownie 2 years, 4 months ago

After I found out my boss was "diving" I gave it a try. Not bad if you don't go in too deep. Once I found a nice looking lamp, resprayed it a nice new color, put on a new shade, and it looked new. Used it for many years, then passed it on to my daughter. I used to go to the dump twice a year, as I live in the country. I saw a fairly good animal feeder, and with help was able to wrestle it into my truck. I still used it today after 20 years. I think everyone should have to make a trip to the dump to see what we are doing to our beautiful hills north of Lawrence. Then if everyone would recycle, the trash heaps would go down. Almost everything can be recycled. When I started doing that, no more trips to the dump, now over 20 years and counting. Dive on mates.

verity 2 years, 4 months ago

Finding something in someone's trash, especially in Lawrence where people leave their trash barrels out in the alleys all the time, hardly seems to be reliable evidence. Wouldn't no expectation of privacy mean that whatever was in the trash wasn't necessarily yours? I had a drug dealer living across the alley from me for some time (yes, the police knew about him). If he had dumped drugs in my trash, would I have been liable for them?

Often usable things are put beside the trash container---I've done that myself---with the expectation that somebody might pick it up. Outlawing dumpster diving seems counter product.

RoeDapple 2 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, my brother used to dumpster dive. When he died it took us five dumpsters to haul off all the crap computer junk he had hoarded in the house. We're talkin' shoulder high in the upstairs, ground floor and basement. And that was the second time, we did it before when he was (literally) living in our parents basement. Did I mention he was a hoarder? So no, I don't dumpster dive.

But y'all are welcome to dig through my trash. I recommend not doing it after dark. And you might want to call ahead.

Did I mention I burn most of my trash . . . ?

(Hell, some clown stopped and stole my trash barrel in June! And I was standing there in my doorway with my jaw all slack watchin' him do it!)

rockchalker52 2 years, 4 months ago

Knew a guy who dumpster dived (is it dived or dove?) 300+ days a year for 30+ years. His yard sales were legendary. The Great Leslie >all other Leslies.

The Great Leslie in 'The Great Race'

The Great Leslie in 'The Great Race' by rockchalker52

JayCat_67 2 years, 4 months ago

I worked with a guy up at Fort Lewis who had massive garage sales of stuff he found dumpster diving. It's amazing what guys will throw away before they deploy. I was just emptying my trash into the dumpster and found a $100 set of computer speakers. They work just fine.

Lisa Medsker 2 years, 4 months ago

Or when they PCS! Found a GORGEOUS, white Persian rug rolled up next to a dumpster when I first got to Germany.

BTW... We "girls" deploy, too.

RoeDapple 2 years, 4 months ago

One group of DD's in New York claim to feed, clothe, furnish their apartment by diving, then paying the rent and having money left over from selling the excess.

Chrissy Neibarger 2 years, 4 months ago

I believe the terms you were thinking about is called "freegan". yuk http://freegan.info/

jackpot 2 years, 4 months ago

Leslie Cochran > Leslie Nielson > Leslie Howard > Leslie Caron>Leslie Townes Hope

verity 2 years, 4 months ago

The decent couch calls to mind the Big Bang episode where Penny finds a perfectly good chair.

RoeDapple 2 years, 4 months ago

"Lesley Anne Down was hot back in the day"

So was Mae West . . . and Ester Williams . . .

JayCat_67 2 years, 4 months ago

Been awhile back, but when I was stationed in Germany, they had one day a month where people would put out anything they no longer wanted and you could pick it up. We called it "junking".

RoeDapple 2 years, 4 months ago

autie - sometimes it is with great effort that I appear as dumb as I look . . . okay, maybe not so much.

LadyJ 2 years, 4 months ago

Here's a "toilet tattoo" that you guys might like, although the missus might not go for it in the bathroom. Do you have your own "man bathroom"?

Bill Lee 2 years, 4 months ago

I've watched people carry off stuff I left at the curb including my living room furniture before one of my moves. I got some good stuff out of the dumpster behind the downtown Kief's store when it closed.

90sgirl 2 years, 4 months ago

Things that I throw away routinely disappear from the curb, I'm glad someone else can use the stuff, better than it rotting in a landfill.

RoeDapple 2 years, 4 months ago

"Do you have your own "man bathroom"?" - LadyJ

All within these walls be sacred. The bunker . . . Roe Rules.

Thomas Bryce 2 years, 4 months ago

I would have had no furniture in my studio apt. during college without Diving. You must be careful though. Had a friend that found a great couch. Took it home. That night we had a possum in our apartment living room! I swear it had to have come out of the couch.

Rex Hargis 2 years, 4 months ago

R-I the holes in the side of the kindle are to hold it in the cover that was designed for it. Pretty handy, actually...

kernal 2 years, 4 months ago

Just don't put your old checks, or any other documents with your personal information such as social security number, any passwords, bank statements, credit card bills, etc. There are people who dumpster dive looking specifically for that kind of info. It will follow you and be a nightmare for years.

RoeDapple 2 years, 4 months ago

The guy who stole my trash barrel was driving a white Dodge pickup.

verity 2 years, 4 months ago

OK, I'll bite. Since you saw him do it, why didn't you try to stop him?. I realize your cannons were probably locked in your safe, but couldn't you have yelled nicely?

RoeDapple 2 years, 4 months ago

Bottom was rusted out of it, saved me the trouble of haulin' it off myself. Not all locked in the vault, but seriously . . . arm myself for THAT? Besides, I'm a peace lovin' kinda guy.

John Hamm 2 years, 4 months ago

Heck yes I'll take things I can use and no it shouldn't be illegal.

Bob Harvey 2 years, 4 months ago

We had someone take a perfectly nice bistro set from us. Problem was it wasn't in the trash nor even near the curb. Christmas decorations too. Someone even tried to retrieve the American flag, still hanging from a pole. Nice to see we had patriotic thieves.

Pastor_Bedtime 2 years, 4 months ago

It's amazing the useful things these folks toss out. I'd go out more often to dive but I'm concerned about those turkeys falling from the sky. Oh the humanity! ~Leslie Nessman

Richard Heckler 2 years, 4 months ago

Dumpster diving is good for recycling and the local economy. Keep those material goods moving.