Previous   Next

Do you think the city should pay for a police headquarters upgrade?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 28, 2012

Browse the archives

“No. I think money should be spent elsewhere — on bike lanes or recycling services.”

“No. The city needs better bicycle lanes first.”

“No. I think the force should be cut back. I’m a libertarian.”

“It’s worthwhile to put the investment in the police department and it’s good to have a centralized space for them. They do a lot for the community.”

Related story

Comments

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years, 7 months ago

I think the article should say "Do you think WE should pay for a police headquarters upgrade?" Well shoot why not!

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

Sure, why not? It's not like Branson would ever keep law breakers there long enough to soil it . .

LadyJ 2 years, 7 months ago

I like the Sears building idea presented yesterday. Recycle and reuse.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 7 months ago

If it would cure today's "page not loading" issues on this award-winning website, yes.

bad_dog 2 years, 7 months ago

How about a "user tax" to offset some of the expense?

For conviction of a moving violation, add 10% to the fine. Convicted of a misdemeanor? Add 15 %. Felonies? Add 20%.

rockchalker52 2 years, 7 months ago

Went to the Woodlands not that often, but always had a good time. My pappy & his crew of geezers really liked it. Anybody going to the spring game today? Wave if you see me. I'll be dressed in blue. Ben's kid is a cutie.

JackMcKee 2 years, 7 months ago

and the only person for spending $30 million...the student. Oy vey.

pikkle 2 years, 7 months ago

I feel I may have been slightly misrepresented; what I said was, I think we need a centralized place, but I don't know about spending $30 million dollars on it. Though, they do a lot for the community. Of course they only kept the first and the last part.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 7 months ago

Arrest someone, make them work on the construction for a week. Save on labor!

Budgets_Smudgets 2 years, 7 months ago

Does this mean FOP would shut down their shooting range with bar out by Lone Star?

Richard Heckler 2 years, 7 months ago

I say NO. Law enforcement will keep the current site so close down 15th and Wakrusa and move into the Sears building.

Where's the money coming from for a $30 million new LPD?

1.There are many many high tax dollar projects on the table as we speak.

1. The economy is still not back yet.

2. Radio news says property values are still going down nationwide

So I say do something for all of the taxpayers in Lawrence and make Lawrence a safe place to walk. Fix all of the dilapidated sidewalks in town thus actually increasing the value of property. A better bang for the buck. A new LPD cannot do that.

And stop buying military style weapons for the LPD. Low interest money encourages reckless spending among politicians.

LadyJ 2 years, 7 months ago

" Fix all of the dilapidated sidewalks in town thus actually increasing the value of property. A better bang for the buck. A new LPD cannot do that" Geez merrill, everyone knows that the city has the power to tell the property owner they have to fix the sidewalk.

LadyJ 2 years, 7 months ago

Or maybe you don't have a sidewalk to shovel and keep up.

gl0ck0wn3r 2 years, 7 months ago

Merrill, sometimes your posts are so amusing that it is impossible to decide which part to mock. This is one of those times. I'm curious, do you really think that sidewalks in your neighborhood somehow trump public safety services when people decide where they might relocate their household or business? You've advocated many of the high dollar, regressive taxation projects in the past so why stop now? Why the hypocrisy on your part?

Pastor_Bedtime 2 years, 7 months ago

The entitlement mentality at work here. Make the Sears building work for this purpose, and save your constituents millions. It may not be as nice as your pie-in-the-sky dream headquarters, but I'm sure that as professionals LPD could make it work.

Pat Long 2 years, 7 months ago

Remember when Topeka revamped the Monkey Wards store downtown for their new cop center? Heck, if T town can make it work, then belly up, Lawrence...

JackMcKee 2 years, 7 months ago

$30 million is really an insult to the police department. I can't imagine building them anything that cost less than $90 million.

pace 2 years, 7 months ago

Larger facility will allow them to double the force, increase the fleet. Might be cheaper to decriminalize boo. I am in support of a large central facility, one more easily accessible to the community. They do a lot of good work.
I wish they would work/partner with the community, establish a citizen's review board. I also wish they would establish a permanent task force for theft. I think of theft as a gate way crime and a drain on our economy. I do not think minor theft is ever taken seriously in Lawrence. I find the expenditures to make the post game crowd safe, while they harassed the legal protesters a bit off putting. I believel the men and women who come when called, when you have been assaulted, when crime is being committed, are heroes and deserve community support and modern facility. I think the Sears building would better serve the community as a retail facility. I say the Douglas county bank building and block would be prefect.