Previous   Next

Would you want to live downtown? If so, how much would you be willing to pay?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 22, 2012

Browse the archives

“Definitely, but I wouldn’t pay over $1,000.”

“We live close and for two people, we’re willing to pay $700.”

“Maybe. I’d probably go up to $700.”

“I probably wouldn’t live on Mass. Street, but close would be fun.”

Comments

Liberty275 3 years, 1 month ago

We like our dogs too much to live that close to other people. So unless we can have a detached house with a fenced backyard downtown, I'll have to say no. Besides, if I lived downtown all I'd ever do is go to bars, party with drunken college girls and make my wife hate me more than she already does.

FlintlockRifle 3 years, 1 month ago

Did for awhile, back in late 40's, in 700 block of Mass. wasn't that bad then, now no thank you, but thanks for asking.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 1 month ago

About $25.00 per bedroom certainly not $350.00.

rockchalker52 3 years, 1 month ago

Holy grand backwards, Batman! It's Circle 6, not Circle $ix

ljwhirled 3 years, 1 month ago

Hookers? In Lawrence?

I know the college crowd shows a lot of skin, but I doubt our future accountants, engineers, and teachers are into prostitution.

Now that I think about it the pre-law and political science crowd might...........

tomatogrower 3 years, 1 month ago

And nothing grows? You obviously have never been to downtown Lawrence. There are flowers and trees everywhere.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 1 month ago

Would I get to whizz out the window onto the filthy hippies? If not, then no.

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

Put in a Walmart, Home Depot, Red Lobster, Office Depot, McDonalds, KFC, Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Blue Beacon Truck Wash, a Holiday Inn Express and a thirty story hotel, then I . . . No, Still, Hell No!

tomatogrower 3 years, 1 month ago

About half of the posters on this forum, especially the nasty, negative ones don't even live in Lawrence, let alone downtown Lawrence.

riverdrifter 3 years, 1 month ago

A friend has a 2nd floor studio downtown. During the season we'll hunt ducks on the lake or the river and end up back there and fix a great meal. Then go hit a bar or two and crash back at the studio. Live down there though? No thanks.

jayharchitect 3 years, 1 month ago

Here's one take on it... A blogger who lives downtown... and is moving: http://bit.ly/IgxMcj

jayharchitect 3 years, 1 month ago

True... but it talks about some of the good and bad... the bad making them move from their current location.

RoeDapple 3 years, 1 month ago

Let's see . . . . Benefits of living downtown; 1. Noisy drunks downstairs in the bar. 2. Noisy drunks outside from 7:00PM until 3:00AM. 3. Drunks puking on your car 4. Drunks vandalizing your car. 5. Drunks passed out in your stairwell as you leave for work in morning. 6. Drunks waking you looking for "Barb" or "Kim" or whoever else they have confused with your address. 7. Walking to the $750/month/400sq.ft. loft apartment through the alley that stinks of vomit and rancid cooking grease. 8. Money made from the beer cans left on my antenna and thrown in the back of the truck. 9. Hearing loss from alcohol. Haven't met a Drunk yet that doesn't talk too loud. 10. Did I mention the Drunks?

Or . . . I can stay in my rural home, enjoy the peace and quiet. Except when the Towny Drunks roll up and down the roads throwing their beer cans in my yard.

JackMcKee 3 years, 1 month ago

I recommend that you get a rock to make sure those Townies know who you are.

Carol Bowen 3 years, 1 month ago

No. There is no attraction to live downtown. It has become an "aggeyville".

Pitt_Mackeson 3 years, 1 month ago

I wouldn't live anywhere near downtown! Though if I was homeless, then yes, I would live downtown in a dumpster with a welcome mat in front of it.

jumpin_catfish 3 years, 1 month ago

So many reasons why not but heck no I wouldn't live downtown!

Chris Bohling 3 years, 1 month ago

I live 4 blocks from downtown. It's about right - close enough to walk, far enough to avoid the drunks.

1029 3 years, 1 month ago

West Lawrence--a.k.a. Little JoCo--is by far the best place to live.

Chris Bohling 3 years, 1 month ago

If you don't want to be within walking distance of anything.

Also, the only place I've ever been jumped/assaulted is in west Lawrence.

JackMcKee 3 years, 1 month ago

I've known people that lived downtown. They all complain about noise at 2 AM and parking. I'll take my house.

MarenBradley 3 years, 1 month ago

Don’t knock it ‘til you try it. My husband and I bought and moved into a house in the Oread Historic District almost two years ago. Yes, there is periodic noise on nice Friday or Saturday nights in the spring from students, but nothing my family hasn’t gotten used to already. We love being able to walk to… well, anything. Living there has greatly increased the amount of exercise we get and the amount of time we spend outside, as well as decreased the amount of gas we use. Every neighborhood has its good and bad aspects. I wouldn’t trade our gorgeous old Victorian for all the prefab drywall in JoCo.