Previous   Next

Final Four celebrations downtown cost the city an estimated $180,000. Do you think it was worth it?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 20, 2012

Browse the archives

“Yes, because I imagine (the celebrations) also brought a lot of money into downtown.”

“I’m not sure, but the city didn’t really have a choice. I’m glad the mess was picked up.”

“The cost doesn’t matter because people would celebrate anyway and it’s better to have the streets clean and safe.”

“Absolutely. I’m new to Lawrence and I came down and enjoyed it.”

Related story

Comments

50YearResident 1 year, 12 months ago

Next time hold the event on the KU Campus and let KU pick up the tab. After all it's their responsability, isn't it? And its not like KU didn't get mega $$$$ for playing in the last two games. They could afford it better than the city could.

My_Life 1 year, 12 months ago

Lawrence is a large synergistic organism.

WOW, that's the most brilliant thing I have read on here with the exception of Kenny Powers explanation of why people post here.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 12 months ago

"Have you never been involved in the budget aspects of writing a project proposal?"

Yes. Not in a civic realm, though. It just seems like 180K is high. Not that I care. I'm with the majority of folks that understands when KU does well, Lawrence benefits.

Andini 1 year, 12 months ago

Maybe the police should have handed out more tickets and made more arrests during the celebrations to cover the $180,000.00 spent...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 12 months ago

T_O_B, Of course not, fuel is fuel and an expense in and of it's self. Park and Rec and Public Works are just personnel costs and equipment.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 12 months ago

I assume Parks and Rec may be some overtime for the trash picker uppers. What would Public Works be? - T_O_B

Parks and Rec may be the trash picker uppers, but the aggregate the trash into these large plastic bags. Public works include those who drive the trash trucks, pick up the large plastic bags that were aggregated by the Parks and Rec people, the people who put out the barricades to block off Mass St, and drive those who drive the street sweepers. It is a large synergistic organism.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 12 months ago

Good work, RI. Now answer me this...

"$5,874 Parks and Rec $4,898 Public works "

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 12 months ago

"They went through a lot of trash bags." - T_O_B

And plastic cups. The cops gave my 16 year old daughter a plastic cup and made her pour her beer into it, then sent on her way in to the melee.

""$5,515 Fuel" Did the cops leave their cars running the whole weekend?"" - T_O_B

I ASSuME they track fuel costs by pump data, so when each fire truck was filled up with 300 gallons, and a every trash trucks topped of with 150 gallons of fuel 60 police cars were fueled, that data was assigned to the downtown celebration.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 12 months ago

"$19,011 Supplies" They went through a lot of trash bags.

"$5,515 Fuel" Did the cops leave their cars running the whole weekend?

riverdrifter 1 year, 12 months ago

Oh, BTW: happy 4/20 everybody...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 12 months ago

$111,218 Police $13,782 Fire and Medical (net after $12,000 KU reimbursement for field house babysitting) $5,874 Parks and Rec $4,898 Public works $19,011 Supplies $5,515 Fuel $4,745 Porta-potties $1,638 Replacement plants $1,105 Landfill Charges

Flap Doodle 1 year, 12 months ago

You and me both, autie. I thought that I was the only one seeing that.

autie 1 year, 12 months ago

Why caint I get at the comments on a few articles this morning? The article about moving inmates from county jails back to the big house is one...I can't get at the comments for nothing. What's up with that LJ?

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 12 months ago

"CWGOKU (anonymous) says… Sigh... Yes, worth it, ditto to Babboy"

It always amuses me the people who live in Lawrence that constantly bash KU. If KU wasn't here, Lawrence, at best, would be Salina. Probably closer to an Emporia.

CWGOKU 1 year, 12 months ago

Sigh... Yes, worth it, ditto to Babboy

Flap Doodle 1 year, 12 months ago

If public urination and defecation were legal, then they wouldn't be crimes. ( ... from ... a ... source ... )

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 12 months ago

"I call BS. I doubt it cost the city of Larryville that much. And, it brought in a ton of money. " Babs

That is what I was getting at, but I don't have the blunt object Babs uses.

"I was wondering if they had the GSA handle the event." Prospector

That wouldn't even cover the dinner event if the GSA was in charge.

BABBOY 1 year, 12 months ago

I call BS. I doubt it cost the city of Larryville that much. And, it brought in a ton of money. KU basketball brings in a ton of money for the local businesses. City should write a check to KU thanking them for making them relevant.

So, this is a stupid questions.

Frankly, it smells of the BS that it usually spun on the Topeka paper CJonline which caters to the world's cheapest tabloid or insane readers .....

prospector 1 year, 12 months ago

Bob I was wondering if they had the GSA handle the event.

The_Original_Bob 1 year, 12 months ago

Can we see a receipt on what the $180,000 actually was spent on?

g_rock 1 year, 12 months ago

Alternatives to spending the money:

1. require all fans to purchase their own shock collars
  2. sabotage the KU basketball team in the first round game
  3. become a dry state in March
  4. just leave the trash and let the mobs rule.

rockchalker52 1 year, 12 months ago

$18 or 0.0001% of what the city incurred is what I spent at the movies yesterday. They had to clean up after me, too, but it was just an empty popcorn bag. I took the soda with me.

The Farrelly brothers need to learn about pacing...and background music...and how not to waste talent...

autie 2 years ago

When we take the kids to our local state lake, before we leave everybody gets a bag to fill. We always leave the berm cleaner than we found it. Which with some of the scum that uses the lake, that ain't hard to do. Which by the way, those people that leave the diapers in the parking lot at WalMart should be drawn and quartered, with each of the four part posted at four points entering town.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

I'll be sighting in the new Leupold 4.5-14x50 this afternoon. If the wind isn't too bad I will take it out to 400yds, the farthest point at my range. I always pick up the brass, leave the range cleaner than when I arrived. It's the right thing to do.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 2 years ago

That money could have fed over 1,440,000 hungry children in America.

pace 2 years ago

Spending the money with a plan was cheaper than the alternative. I don't really like "fans" who celebrate by trashing. But I would hate them to get out of control and actually end up killing people in their fun.

Bailey Perkins 2 years ago

Does the KU Athletic Department reimburse the city? If you think about it, a majority of it traces back to them and if they can afford to give the senior athletes high dollar rings, you'd think they could afford to pay back the city.

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years ago

I mean that 'the guy' won in a poker game.... not me..... I would never do such a thing... (sigh) really wanted to see how the elephants would react to the baboons fece flinging... oops I've said too much. canttalkaboutit :)

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years ago

Probably good they had all those extra officers down there after the championship game..... even though we didn't win, I heard that some crazed lunatic was gonna let a bunch of zoo animals that I won in a poker game loose on the streets..... had a full house :)

riverdrifter 2 years ago

The Final Four is bank for the Lawrence/KU community. Distraction? Yep. Bank? Definitely.

autie 2 years ago

As long as they got it cleaned up by the lie berry dude.

jimjones 2 years ago

This is a case where the city actually over-achieved. I had to pick someone up about 1:00AM and everything was well under control on Mass. St.; there were actually too many police still there.
The planning was excellent for the final game. A really good job.

Due to the outcome of the game, the crowds were not as large as the police had staffed for. So, they probably should have made arrangements to downsize at that point.

Bill Lee 2 years ago

Next time, and there will be one, let's just leave the mess downtown. Most of the stuff is biodigratable. It can also serve as a reminder of how well the team did.