Previous   Next

Final Four celebrations downtown cost the city an estimated $180,000. Do you think it was worth it?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 20, 2012

Browse the archives

“Yes, because I imagine (the celebrations) also brought a lot of money into downtown.”

“I’m not sure, but the city didn’t really have a choice. I’m glad the mess was picked up.”

“The cost doesn’t matter because people would celebrate anyway and it’s better to have the streets clean and safe.”

“Absolutely. I’m new to Lawrence and I came down and enjoyed it.”

Related story

Comments

Bill Lee 3 years ago

Next time, and there will be one, let's just leave the mess downtown. Most of the stuff is biodigratable. It can also serve as a reminder of how well the team did.

riverdrifter 3 years ago

The Final Four is bank for the Lawrence/KU community. Distraction? Yep. Bank? Definitely.

Pitt_Mackeson 3 years ago

Probably good they had all those extra officers down there after the championship game..... even though we didn't win, I heard that some crazed lunatic was gonna let a bunch of zoo animals that I won in a poker game loose on the streets..... had a full house :)

Pitt_Mackeson 3 years ago

I mean that 'the guy' won in a poker game.... not me..... I would never do such a thing... (sigh) really wanted to see how the elephants would react to the baboons fece flinging... oops I've said too much. canttalkaboutit :)

Bailey Perkins 3 years ago

Does the KU Athletic Department reimburse the city? If you think about it, a majority of it traces back to them and if they can afford to give the senior athletes high dollar rings, you'd think they could afford to pay back the city.

DillonBarnes 3 years ago

Then should the city donate all the extra tax profits back to KU athletics?

pace 3 years ago

Spending the money with a plan was cheaper than the alternative. I don't really like "fans" who celebrate by trashing. But I would hate them to get out of control and actually end up killing people in their fun.

ljwhirled 3 years ago

Your rent, assuming it is about average (say $800/Mo), would pay for a meal for 6,400 hungry children.

Are you going to stop paying rent? Move into a RV down by South Park?

RoeDapple 3 years ago

I'll be sighting in the new Leupold 4.5-14x50 this afternoon. If the wind isn't too bad I will take it out to 400yds, the farthest point at my range. I always pick up the brass, leave the range cleaner than when I arrived. It's the right thing to do.

ljwhirled 3 years ago

We always go down to the lake with lots of plastic bags, bottled beer, soda, plastic 6-pack rings, cigarettes (for the kids) and lots of dip.

We go through most of it, then leave the trash behind. Why bother cleaning up? My auntie will do it for me.

rockchalker52 3 years ago

$18 or 0.0001% of what the city incurred is what I spent at the movies yesterday. They had to clean up after me, too, but it was just an empty popcorn bag. I took the soda with me.

The Farrelly brothers need to learn about pacing...and background music...and how not to waste talent...

ljwhirled 3 years ago

Mostly on tazer cartridges for use on the homeless.

I'm feeling kind of trolly today.

Flap Doodle 3 years ago

If public urination and defecation were legal, then they wouldn't be crimes. ( ... from ... a ... source ... )

tomatogrower 3 years ago

Most people who live in Lawrence don't bash KU. The views of most of the posters on these forums do not reflect the views of most Lawrence people. That has been proven many times.

Flap Doodle 3 years ago

You and me both, autie. I thought that I was the only one seeing that.

tomatogrower 3 years ago

Public Works would be cleaning. Parks and Rec would be replacing damaged plants and trees.

cozborn 3 years ago

parks did all the trash, all of the cleaning,they have trash trucks for that purpose, they are responsible for trash on mass everyday. public works ran street sweepers and set up barricades

cozborn 3 years ago

parks and rec employees did not receive overtime, they dont get that at all, they just had to come in early and work straight time

50YearResident 3 years ago

Next time hold the event on the KU Campus and let KU pick up the tab. After all it's their responsability, isn't it? And its not like KU didn't get mega $$$$ for playing in the last two games. They could afford it better than the city could.