Previous   Next

What do you do to be ‘green’?

Browse the archives

“Buy local as much as possible.”

“Buy local and organic as much as possible, bring recyclable bags shopping and recycle.”

“Buy local food when I can and try not to eat factory-farmed meat.”

Comments

brutus 1 year, 11 months ago

I turn off all the lights in the house when not occupied and I drive 100 mph+ at least once a week.

mae 2 years ago

Never put green kool-aid in your hair for st. paddy's day.

camper 2 years ago

I watch Ted Nugent on YouTube instead of driving all the way to see one of his rallies.

consumer1 2 years ago

I don't trim or clean my tonails or fingernails for months at a time. I haven't cut or washed my hair for six years. I don't wash my hands with soap. I attend every city commission meeting to force my opinion on the commissioner's. I only change my clothes once per month. I only eat organic. I play good music downtown for tips. I protest against the man. I expect other people to think like me or else they are wrong. I don't work at a job cause I protest the system. I am a anarchist. So, if you are not like me, you are wrong wrong wrong. Get it together please and make this world a better place to live in. remember, Co-Exist.

Patricia Davis 2 years ago

I recycle. I compost. I have an organic garden. My new kitchen in going induction with other energy efficient appliances. But the biggest single thing I have done: I gave up my car in 1999. I am retired. My husband still works. Usually not a problem for us to work out a schedule for me to have the car when I need it.

Richard Heckler 2 years ago

Golf cart batteries can go 5-8 years. The cost of replacement could easily paid back by the thousands of dollars saved on gasoline. Traveling at a max of 11 mph would likely reduce the number of accidents significantly.

Fossil fuel travel likely costs $5,000-$10,000 annually for gasoline plus the cost of depreciation,maintenance and taxes.

Richard Heckler 2 years ago

Our new report, State of Charge: Electric Vehicles’ Global Warming Emissions and Fuel-Cost Savings Across the United States, shows that nearly half of Americans live in areas where an electric car produces lower global warming emissions than even the most fuel-efficient hybrid—and that nationwide an electric car produces lower emissions and costs significantly less to fuel than the average new gasoline-powered vehicle. Which region do you live in?

Read the report to find out : http://www.ucsusa.org/

========= 04/16/12 Electric Vehicles a Smart Choice Nationwide, But Emissions Vary Greatly By Region

04/16/12 Illegal Logging Threatens Economies and the Environment

04/12/12 UCS Publishes New Science-Based Guide Offering Practical Steps Americans Can Take to Cut Their Carbon Emissions

pace 2 years ago

Composting, recycling, keep energy use down, watch my driving habits, keep my thermostat reasonable, don't buy geegaws. I buy used stuff a lot. Shiny doesn't attract me as much as functional and cheap. I love buying local produce. it is a win win for our family. Cook it and freeze or can some, have wonderful vegetable dishes all year long. I love eggplant, zuchini, onion with a robust pesto. it may be efficient to grow tomatoes in California, but shipping those red tennis balls ain't worth the brake exhaust. Do yourself a favor and grow your own or buy local.
Probably the best things I do is watching energy use, not buying much and buying used. The composting is fun and my flower beds needs the material.

thuja 2 years ago

I would ask Yoda. Know would he.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

I have recycled over two tons of wheelweights and 800 pounds of linotype into projectiles for various handguns over the years. Anybody have any linotype they want recycled?

labmonkey 2 years ago

I put 2 cycle oil at an ounce to gallon of diesel ratio in my Duramax to get it up to 18 mpg. After a new intake, exhaust, and some programming, I hope to get it into the 20's. My goal is 450 HP and 25 mpg but I think that is beyond what I can do.

KSWingman 2 years ago

Do you know what Candace has there?

The Jolly Green Giant's undivided attention.

Now THAT'S going green!

Charlie Bannister 2 years ago

This whole "green" thing is a lot like so called "climate change." A bunch of hocus pocus so liberals can feel better about themselves and not be guilty about whatever they seem to feel guilty about.

I do however believe in efficiency and doing things with cost management in mind. That is part of the magic of capitalism. In a true free enterprise environment the most efficient and cost minded companies and entrepreneurs will survive.

Having said all this, I do drive a Corolla and recycle plastics, just because we use so many plastic containers around the home. The Corolla will last many years (I have two) and save me untold thousands on repair, purchase, and fuel costs. Efficiency and cost management. Nothing "green" about it.

The_Original_Bob 2 years ago

"My car is a gas guzzler " Babs

Damn German engineering.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

i always chek the couch b4 i loads it on teh escort cuz the stash er i mean my stuf aint non yer bizniss an you dont knoe me i aint related to nobody round here nohow. an that all ima gonna say boutit.

g_rock 2 years ago

What time can I come over? Rock and Rock. Kind of rocks.

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years ago

Hey this OTS is late! I was up at midnight and it wasn't available until this morning! Blasphemy I tell you! Anyway, to answer the late OTS I would have to say green eggs and ham :)

rockchalker52 2 years ago

Lime laden margaritas & guacamole on a Monday sound just fine to me. Here's just the recipe if you have all the ingredients:

BABBOY 2 years ago

This is not a question you would see on any other paper in the State of Kansas.

Which is why I scan read more than one.

I not much on the green thing. I am not opposed to it either. But, I eat meat doubt I can grow that in my back yard very easily. Not opening a ranch. My car is a gas guzzler and I have to drive fast so forget the green version.

But, I do like green grass. Just make sure you spray for weeds.

CWGOKU 2 years ago

I am sick of hearing about the Titanic

Andini 2 years ago

I use Irish Spring twice as much as recommended.

tomatogrower 2 years ago

Recycle, compost, drive a hybrid, replaced windows and appliances with high efficiency stuff. Locally grown food from your own back yard is the best for the environment and your health.

autie 2 years ago

sank4ever. a classic.

To go green I will eat some spoiled bacon and a bunch of homemade onions rings. I turn green, the air turns green, you'd think it was St. Patricks day...or maybe the day after St. Patricks day.

booyalab 2 years ago

Buying local does not help the environment. First because some locations are more efficient at producing some crops. Secondly because cars are less efficient at shipping than large ships and planes. Personally, I don't think about my actions in terms of the environment except when it's obvious. I don't litter, for instance. I care more about efficiency and health, which tend to be cleaner anyway.

booyalab 2 years ago

prospector 2 years ago

I channel Lou Ferrigno and think of the save the wave, sank4ever, or bruschetta brew-ha-ha.

Andini 2 years ago

Mizzou fans are green with envy.

g_rock 2 years ago

I put fresh lime in my margaritas. Would go great with some guac if that is what Candace is so excited about?

Flap Doodle 2 years ago

I dress the lemurs as if they were Robin Hood's merry men. That's as much green as I can deal with.