Previous   Next

Have you ever had your car towed?

Asked at Dillons, 3000 W. Sixth St. on April 15, 2012

Browse the archives

“No, but I’ve heard about companies charging too much. You should get estimates before you tow — you have to shop around to be in control of the situation.”

“Yes, and it was a good experience. I was towed by AAA almost 100 miles back to Lawrence, and it was all covered.”

“No, I’ve been lucky.”

Pitt_Mackeson 3 years, 7 months ago

Yeah I once lost control of my vehicle and hit the curb, bent the dang rim. Had to get the sucker towed to get a new rim and tire put on.

Pitt_Mackeson 3 years, 7 months ago

I would've crashed that monster too.... all that power under your pedal foot :)

Bill Lee 3 years, 7 months ago

Yes. I threw a rod on my Miata near Altoona in SE KS. With no Mazda dealers in the area, I had my car towed back to Lawrence.

RoeDapple 3 years, 7 months ago

Well . . . I haven't had my car towed. Sheriff Rex had it towed. Forty three years ago . . . "Driving in excess of 100", "Failure to yield", "Wreckless driving". . . Never could figure that "wreckless driving" one out. I mean, I rolled three times. Looked like a wreck to me . . . . Anyway, it was a turning point in my life. Yep. Found Jesus. My cell mate. Couldn't understand a word he said . . .

The little woman don't like for me to talkaboutit.

labmonkey 3 years, 7 months ago

"Anyway, it was a turning point in my life. Yep. Found Jesus. My cell mate. Couldn't understand a word he said . . ."

Next thing, you'll be talking about some stupid rock called Indyn.

LadyJ 3 years, 7 months ago

I just told the kids to get out and push.

RoeDapple 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm still trying to get over being called a weird creepy man . . . What? Was it the plaid skirt that clashed with my mustache?

I'm sorry, That's a kilt. Goes with my European shoulder bag. (It was a gift . . .)

verity 3 years, 7 months ago

Last I heard, everybody was accounted for and no deaths, only a few injuries. I'm not complaining about any overplayed hype---some very dangerous weather and nobody is dead.

I think this was different in that it could be forecast further ahead than most severe weather.

Oh, back to the subject, I've never had my car towed for illegal parking.

verity 3 years, 7 months ago

Just saw that five people died in or around Woodward, OK---apparently the sirens were not working when the tornado struck.

I will always remember the quote from Johnny Fever on "WKRP"---"God does't like trailer parks." My mother once talked about living in a mobile home, but my brother had helped clean up after the 1991 Andover tornado and he said no one in his family was ever going to live in one. This tornado seemed to take about the same route.

RoeDapple 3 years, 7 months ago

In the bunker no one can hear me scream . . .

RoeDapple 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't have any friends from India but I have friends from Sri Lanka. I also have some friends who are Indian. They are from Valley Falls. They believe in the Earth Mother but use rocks to pave their driveway.

Bailey Perkins 3 years, 7 months ago

When they say you can't park in the KU Union parking garage during a football game (especially Homecoming), they mean it. Even if you have a parking permit for every other day of the year.

Henry_the_liberal 3 years, 7 months ago

The wife got me towed once. She parked at a Kmart because it was closer to her dorm. Made me very unhappy.

FlintlockRifle 3 years, 7 months ago

Yes, Hillcrest will tow for $60.00 here in town, out of town don't know. I had a friend that when he would go on vacation he would always take a screwdriver to remove the tag, and walk away and catch a ride to the bus station wherever it might have been and go from there

Stuart Sweeney 3 years, 7 months ago

I had my car picked up and taken to a repair shop and was only charged $165.00 for a 31 mile tow. I felt like it was a very reasonable charge considering the time involved!

purplesage 3 years, 7 months ago

A couple of bad experiences. One was in Kansas City Norh. A backhoe, working. in a median backed into the right of way. I hit a curb / storm drain and flatted a tire. I had an old Chevy van and the jack was brand new, a bottle jack, still sealed in the package. I got it out and the thing collapsed with any weight whatsoever. I called a nearby tow service. They'd charge $35 to haul me in. The guy arrived, changed the tire, handed me a bill for $60. I protested that I was told $35. He said this was a "lift" not a tow and it was $60.

My wife slid off of the highway up by Nortonville in a snowstorm. I flagged down a tow already out there on the road and got charged mileage and all just as if I'd summoned him from the shop.

One better experience in a bad situation. A family member died in an accident. The tow company did not charge for the tow and cleanup or storage.