Previous   Next

Did you have a childhood hero?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 12, 2012

Browse the archives

“I liked the ‘Jungle Book.’ I wanted to be Mowgli.”

“The pink Power Ranger.”

“Not that I can think of.”

“Bilbo Baggins. ”

Related story

Comments

Bill Lee 4 years, 1 month ago

Without question, my dad was my hero. I loved that man.

ObiWan 4 years, 1 month ago

Ben Kenobi? Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time...long time.

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

If Superman and Mighty Mouse got in a fight who would win?

ohjayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Superman, of course, because he's a real guy. No way a cartoon could beat up a real guy!

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

Good! Vern and Teddy in "Stand By Me"

ohjayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Definitely in my "Top 5 Movies of All Time" list!

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

"I wonder...there is a birthday boy missing."

David Letterman?

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

Herbert Khaury would have been 80 years old today. Unfortunately he tiptoed through the tulips for the last time on November 30,1996.

But he wasn't my childhood hero . . .

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

The heroes I knew during my childhood aren't famous, nor are they cartoon characters. They are three people who survived their childhoods in Nazi concentration camps during WWII.

Terry Sexton 4 years, 1 month ago

The early astronauts were cool. They were all business, though. Not like today's bunch taking libations into outer space. In other news, autie is rumored to be headed for the space station while the crew prepares for his arrival:

gphawk89 4 years, 1 month ago

Every time I've had a chance to have a conversation with a "celebrity" I come away disappointed. They're either nothing like I thought they'd be or just full of themselves. An exception was Eastwood. He was pretty cool.

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

If you think George Brett is a complete a$$ then you haven't met Len Dawson . . .

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

Jesús de la Rosa Luque was a Spanish singer and dancer who was born 37 days before me. He died in '83 at the age of 35

ms_canada 4 years, 1 month ago

When I was a kid, Mom took sis and I to see snow White and the Dwarfs. that did it. I did so want to sing like that and I practiced all the time. "Some Day My Prince will Come, some day I'll find my love" Some days I really thought I was going to make it. But Alas, all was illusion or delusion. It was never to be. :o(

Terry Sexton 4 years, 1 month ago

So many straight lines... Dang, it is really hard to stay classy sometimes.

Bill Lee 4 years, 1 month ago

I think Tom is a great guy. I've spent many hours with him. We used to watch Royals games together.

gphawk89 4 years, 1 month ago

Dad. He seemed awfully neat even when I was growing up. Now that I have a kid of my own and think back on all the things my dad did for me, he just gets better and better.

FlintlockRifle 4 years, 1 month ago

Yes it would indeed be "pop", he could fix anything and passed it on to me, and I likewise passed it on too my 3 sons, and know they are passing it on to there sons, miss you pop---

riverdrifter 4 years, 1 month ago

I met George Brett on a pheasant hunt several years ago. Lazy hunter and not cool. I met Clint Eastwood long ago. He was even more cool in person. My childhood hero was a guy my father worked with. He was extremely cool. I didn't know it then but figured out later that, despite his simple life, he was truly an intellectual. I'll always miss him.

Terry Sexton 4 years, 1 month ago

Back in '05 :

email to George Brett thru 810WHB radio - Hi George Brett. My folks' 60th wedding anniversary is coming up. Mom is a big Royals fan, so us kids rented the banquet room at your restaurant on the Plaza. We gonna surprise them with a limo ride to take us all there. We thought it would be cool if you could maybe sign a picture or something & leave it at your restaurant for them. I know they would be thrilled. Thanx in advance.

A day or two before the big surprise - Hi, Mr. Rockchalker, this is Flunkie calling, the producer guy that you copied the email to. We just wanted to call & say thanks for listening to George on our station, but, as you can imagine, he gets so many requests...yada yada... and we tryin' to keep George placated here at the station, so chances are... .

Really, would a robo-signed 8x10 have killed him?

No autograph from George, but the folks had a marvelous time.

pace 4 years, 1 month ago

My uncle Bud, great guy, tough, straight talker, loving, was a Dad to my father, they lost their Dad when Dad was 7.