Previous   Next

Do you think underage drinking is a significant problem in Lawrence?

Asked at Dillons, 3000 W. Sixth St. on April 11, 2012

Browse the archives

“Yes, especially because teenagers don’t understand the implications of what it could mean for them.”

“Yes. I’ve known too many underage kids who drank. I think we’ve got to make parents more aware that it’s a bigger social problem, that it affects their development.”

“It probably is but no one really talks about it.”

“It’s a problem, but I’m not sure it’s a significant problem. People are educating people and what more can you do? It either sticks or it doesn’t.”

Related story

Comments

purplesage 2 years ago

Adults who supply alcohol to underage individuals are a problem. Come to think of it, alcohol is a problem, regardless of one's age.

bornon7 2 years ago

I lived in North Kansas City my teen years. We would drive across the state line to Kansas and drink beer at Shakey's Pizza. Anyone remember that place?!

pace 2 years ago

I lot of people don't drink, not just ex drunks. It is a good choice.

thebcman 2 years ago

Kids are gonna get wasted. That's life. Next question.

The_Original_Bob 2 years ago

"Underage kids out in a field with beer is pretty much what a field party is."

Yep. No worse in Lawrence than anywhere else. I moved to Lawrence after high school and drank underage. My buddies that stayed back in my hometown got jobs and drank underage.

scopi_guy 2 years ago

It's not just because we're a college town. It happens everywhere, sometimes with the parents supplying it. I get the weekly paper from a small western KS town where I used to have family and read about the 'field parties' that sometimes get broken up. Underage kids out in a field with beer is pretty much what a field party is.

My_Life 2 years ago

If you don't drink you will die.

asixbury 2 years ago

Alcohol abuse is not as prevalent in the European countries, where a person can drink legally at age 18, sometime as low as age 16. And a lot of these countries don't have regulations on what children consume at home. We ban alcohol and therefore make it a problem. It would not be rebellious to drink so much if our country didn't have such a hang-up on drinking.

g_rock 2 years ago

It is kind of the same thing with folks that are of age when drinking....sometimes it is a significant problem, sometimes folks own brain cells and know how to use them. Yah, it is against the law. But stupid is as stupid does and you can't fix stupid.

Few months ago I was buying a bottle of wine on a Saturday late afternoon. Kid in front of me had a case of beer and pulled out his ID. Clerk pointed out, ummm...you aren't 21. Kid said yah, I know. What did you think you were doing then? Kid walks out. Cashier said that he was kind of shocked that the kid didn't even attempt to lie or pull the oh I left my ID at home thing. This kid was just flat out stupid. I told the cashier that he probably just pulled out the real ID instead of the fake one and will be smarter at the next place.

SOS 2 years ago

I prefer my spirits aged.

Andini 2 years ago

Not really but I'm 47.

LadyJ 2 years ago

Hey LJW, what's with the huge print in the obituaries in the paper edition. I certainly hope it was a one time thing.

somedude20 2 years ago

If you are old enough to go to war, you are old enough to drink. I have seen many many older people handle their liquor as bad if not worse than young kids. A dumb drunk is a dumb drunk. The real problem is all of the prescription drugs that get thrown to kids when they rae not needed

RoeDapple 2 years ago

After retiring for the fourth time I thought I was done. Not so. I will don a cape, grab a bag of cheetos and become a hero on the "T" . . .

(Caution - language gets rough) http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/snackman-to-the-rescue-during-new-york-subway-fight/story-e6frf7lf-1226323858089

I mean, I'm a natural for this!

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Hey! I resemble that remark!

rockchalker52 2 years ago

autie, next time you're traveling down south Iowa Street, swing into Target & grab some beezos. You can't get any suds through the checkout without forkin' over your ID. Doesn't even matter if you're as old as Roe.

Mary Darst 2 years ago

A problem EVERYWHERE. Been a problem for ever. What ya do???? What ya say that makes a difference to them? I think people are just more aware of the problem because it is in the media more.

autie 2 years ago

Being a college town, has it changed ever? The prospecting poster at the top is on to a good idea though. I just wish I would get carded more often.

grammaddy 2 years ago

No more than any other college town.

milkman_dan 2 years ago

Went to the pub with my girlfriend last night. Locals were shouting "pedophile" and other names at me, just because my girlfriend is 21 and I'm 34. It completely spoiled our 10th anniversary.

Gandalf 2 years ago

Problem? Heck, they could probably teach me!

thuja 2 years ago

I have an issue with the thinking age.

prospector 2 years ago

The real problem is the drinking age. Change it to 18, no problem.