Previous   Next

Would you ever consider hiring someone to help you get a job?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 27, 2011

Browse the archives

“Probably not. I’d be unsure it’d help, and I think I’m motivated enough to do it myself. ”

“It’d be desirable — and helpful. But no, I don’t think I’d pay.”

“Nope. After — hopefully just — four years of college, I should be able to find a job. I think I can and will.”

Comments

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

NOOOOOO!!!! Have always been able to sell myself for any job I applied for, never had to draw one minute of unemployment. Retired 10 years now and still get calls for truck driving jobs and cabinet work. Just yesterday turned down a cabinet building job.

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

Although if I was offered a third shift mattress testing position I may consider rejoining the world of employment . . .

classclown 3 years, 3 months ago

Is this part of Obama's new jobs plan? Make the unemployed hire each other?

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 3 months ago

In '79 I talked to a for pay employment service in southern California, as opposed to a head hunter agency. I talked to a man who told me that I couldn't possibly get a job like I wanted, which was a position as an electronic technician, which I felt well qualified to do. But, for an outrageous price he could get me about a minimum wage job as an assembler. He asked if maybe I could borrow some money from relatives? It was outrageous! He was talking about me paying something like 3 months pay just to get a job. So, I took his business card and left.

Within a week I found a job doing exactly what I wanted to do, working as an electronic tech for DatagraphiX in el Cajon, California. So, I called the man back and told him what I'd done. He asked where was I going to work at? I refused to tell him, and he hung up on me.

What a scam that was!

LadyJ 3 years, 3 months ago

Now that was funny, but be careful, the hand is poised over the button.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

If you are going to be getting a Bachelor's degree in the near future, you should practice saying "Do you want fries with that?" to help prepare yourself for the current job market.

jlzack 3 years, 3 months ago

That's so true, I work with student loans (and have for over 20 years) most of the students I see are trying to pay back $50,000. + and are working for $8.00 hr. (if working at all) I wouldn't suggest kids go to college now unless they are going into a profession that requires a degree.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 3 months ago

I have a niece that has no college degree but she has a very good job.

She works for a collection agency that collects delinquent student loans. That is a rapidly growing field, and I would certainly suggest that employment option to anyone.

grammaddy 3 years, 3 months ago

Hell to the Naw! Who can afford to do that?

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

I thought about it but you're all weird so forget it.

Dumb question.

♣Free Hollis!♣

jonas_opines 3 years, 3 months ago

I wonder what sort of accountability, if any, these sorts of agencies would have in regards to your placement. Would you get a refund if they didn't find you a job? Any job, or one in your field?

Just seems quite like a play to take a little off of the top from people who are scared and a little desperate.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

The more PC term is relationship organizer....

somedude20 3 years, 3 months ago

if you are high enough up on the food chain, headhunters will be getting you a job at no cost to you as the future employer will cover that cost (or at least it was that way)

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm sure they use the center digit . . . and smile when they do. I would! ;-)

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 3 months ago

Puisque tous les mots français sont tellement très sexy.

rockchalker52 3 years, 3 months ago

Whomever you hire, make sure they negotiate enough vacation time. Otherwise, it'll be tough to get to all these places. HB could tell us all about #10, I bet. If I ever get down the road, I'm gonna start with #6.

♠Free HollisBrown♠

gphawk89 3 years, 3 months ago

I'd hire myself. Problem solved - instant employment. I'd only have to pay myself for one day's worth of work, then I could let myself go. But... then I'd be looking for a job again...

rockchalker52 3 years, 3 months ago

Still waitin' to hear back on that last job interview. When is a good time to check back with 'em? six months? a year?
The interview guy asks me: what makes me like me? I sez it used to be apricot jam but now it's truths from the web. He sez huh?- and I point out that, while I waited for him, I searched with my smart phone & discovered a coupla things:

1) It is so sad that so many people are killed by alcohol that we never even stop to consider how many people are born because of it.

b) The word 'OK' looks like a sideways person. I never ever noticed the little guy before now.

Mr. Hirer guy sez he'd let me know about the job. Fingers crossed!

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

I've been seeing little bits of weirdness on this award-winning website that lead me to wonder if a goose has been flying past.