Previous   Next

What is your earliest memory?

Asked at Buford M. Watson Jr. Park, Sixth and Kentucky streets on September 25, 2011

Browse the archives

“I was two and a half, and my little brother walked into a pool using his walker.”

“This is weird, but my sister and I used to put sand in our hair and then pick it out.”

“Moving into my old house and seeing the fort in the backyard. I was probably four.”

“When I went to visit my grandmother in the hospital for the last time when I was two and a half.”

Comments

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

Walking to the mailbox in my diaper. Hey, at my age remembering back three days is an accomplishment!

jackpot 3 years, 11 months ago

Twister in 57 headed for the house. I was 3, missed but hit Ruskin Heights.

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

A coworker of my father's lived there. We went down the next day, his farm buildings and house were gone, his '55 Ford F-100 was a half mile away rolled into a ball about 3 feet high. They were caught outside and survived by clinging to fence posts. Their storm shelter, an old root cellar, collapsed in on itself killing their dog.

jackpot 3 years, 11 months ago

Dad drove us to Knob Town where it had lifted. Still remember seeing Washer and dryer about 50' up in the fork of a tree.

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

Being pulled on a sled by my mother with my sister and two younger brothers. I was about four.

riverdrifter 3 years, 11 months ago

The earliest memory of my*life goes back only a couple of months and sucks straight through to today. See.

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

I also remember Eisenhower being elected president in '52. Our parents proudly wore their "I Like Ike" campaign buttons which I somehow knew what was printed on them. When our parents passed away we found the buttons among their effects.

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

"RETICENT_IRREVERENT (Ronaldo Ignacio) says… Wood, The chips are gonna be a flying and a falling where they may fall. But when I hew the line, I do it with 50:1 fossil fuel."

Great idea, I thought, so out the door I went for three hours of trimming limbs, deadfall and brush. . . . One hour and forty five minutes of sleep is all these arthritic old joints allowed me last night. Next time I think Ronaldo has a good idea I'll recruit him to head up my way . . .

truman1902 3 years, 11 months ago

Having just learned how to walk, I was tooling around the front yard taking a couple of steps, then falling down..This particular day, my grandmother was visiting and as she watched me tumbling to the ground several times, she was laughing really loud at my expense. THAT'S what made this day memory-worthy..

Bill Lee 3 years, 11 months ago

Playing in a pile of sawdust with my brother. I think I was three years old.

FlintlockRifle 3 years, 11 months ago

Looking into my new little sis's crib and seeing her there alsleep. I am two years older than her so I must have been------erereerererer two, did I get it right teach ????

Flap Doodle 3 years, 11 months ago

Watching a Porky Pig cartoon that has since been banned from TV for being unPC.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 11 months ago

I climbed out of my crib and was toddling downstairs when my mother scared the living waddin' out of me coming up the stairs after she heard the patter of my little feet. I was wearing a diaper so I couldn't have been walking that long. We moved from that house when I was two and a half so it had to be before then. Miracle I didn't fall down the stairs. (I have a picture of myself when I was two sitting on the steps of the front porch of that house hanging on to a kitten for all I was worth. The kitten has a "oh s**t" look on it's face. I was a cute widdle thang.)

rockchalker52 3 years, 11 months ago

Kinda blurry as to which is first, either my dad teaching me how to tie my shoes or my sis teaching me how to spell my name. Prolly around 4&1/2 years. musta been pretty boring at home before that.

In gratitude to my sis' educational efforts, I dropped a pair of scissors on her foot to see if they would stick. Corporal punishment ensued.

lunacydetector 3 years, 11 months ago

being terrorized with death threats by hippies on a daily basis...then the national guard rolled into lawrence in armored personnel carriers....other than that, not much.

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

Nephrolithiasis when micturating. been there. done that.

rockchalker52 3 years, 11 months ago

Q: What do you call a fleet of truck drivers with Nephrolithiasis?

A: The Rolling Stones

Mike Ford 3 years, 11 months ago

being two in Plainfield Ohio seeing a bat flying near my crib in our house that my parent later shot dead after the bat flew down the chimney.

rockchalker52 3 years, 11 months ago

Pay attention this time, R_I.. I tole ya before 160 degrees in the middle means ya good to chow down.

♣free Hollis Brown♣

Jean Robart 3 years, 11 months ago

The 1952 Republican convention when Eisenhower was nominated. I was 3.

Kirk Larson 3 years, 11 months ago

Pulling apart one of my sister's bobby pins and inserting it into a wall socket.

georgeofwesternkansas 3 years, 11 months ago

Starting my grandpa's JD 630 tractor while everyone was outside the barn. I was 2..