Previous   Next

How early do you begin your holiday shopping?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 19, 2011

Browse the archives

“Six weeks before.”

“Two months.”

“I start on Black Friday.”

Comments

DillonBarnes 3 years, 11 months ago

I think Kristin and Linda may be very very closely related.

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

At least they aren't green. Not that there's anything wrong with . . . .

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

The little woman takes care of all our holiday shopping. Even for herself. I tell her to buy something nice for her kitchen. Just keep it under $25.

bevy 3 years, 11 months ago

Good, then she will have a nice HEAVY cast iron skillet to smack you with when you say stuff like that.

grammaddy 3 years, 11 months ago

Black Friday! But I usually start saving for that as soon as school starts.

schula 3 years, 11 months ago

I ususally start in July! I like to be almost all done by Thanksgiving.

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

Come on guys! If the only thing you had on your wish list was a $16,000 .600 Nitro Express Zeliska revolver that each round cost $40, do you really think the birthday or Christmas elf would get it right? HELL NO!! For something like that you gotta scrimp and save, keep the wife in the old beater Vega, hide the kids college fund. Then when you finally get it home you fire one round through it, it breaks your wrist and the barrel flip knocks you unconscious and you end up selling it to pay the emergency room bill. But it's all worth it, right guys? Yeah, you know what I'm talkinabout!!

Kontum1972 3 years, 11 months ago

waiting for the christmas stimulus check in the mail....

Deja Coffin 3 years, 11 months ago

I usually don't start until October and then just buy a little here and there until Christmas. This year I've been thinking about holiday gifts earlier then usual because my husband and I learned how to water bath can food this summer and are going to give jellies and apple butter to all the relatives. We plan on heading to the apple orchard on Wednesday to pick some apples for the caramel apple butter.

Speaking of orchards, does anyone know of an orchard that is close and willing to let you pick-your-own apples? Because of the summer weather the closest one I could find on the computer was Pome on the Range in Williamsburg KS. We live in Jefferson County so that is quite the drive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

ksarmychick 3 years, 11 months ago

There is one off of old k-10 between lawrence and eudora. It's on the same road as pendleton's.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 11 months ago

That is Davenport and they don't do pick your own apples anymore.

bevy 3 years, 11 months ago

I don't know if Rees Fruit Farm lets you pick your own apples, but if you are in Jeff Co. they might are closer than Williamsburg.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 11 months ago

They don't unfortunately, but they do have great cider donuts!

KansasPerson 3 years, 11 months ago

Hey deja,

I know it would be a heck of a drive from Jeff County, but Fieldstone Orchard in Overbrook is now under new ownership and is open for picking!

Deja Coffin 3 years, 11 months ago

Thank you for the tip! I think that might be closer then Pome on the Range. I'll have to give them a call tomorrow!

Deja Coffin 3 years, 11 months ago

Wildhorse stopped being open to the public a few years ago. Does Davenport still have apples? I thought they focused more on the winery side. I'll look into them though. Thanks!

Deja Coffin 3 years, 11 months ago

They took out all their apple trees. They have peaches and will let you pick them when they bloom (July) but this year they didn't do well at all.

Lacy Mohler 3 years, 11 months ago

Never. Our family agreed last year to skip the gifts and just get together and fine dine. At this point there are no children--youngest is a well-employed (finally) age twenty-four. Add some grandchildren to the mix and we won't let them go w/o Christmas gifts.

meggers 3 years, 11 months ago

In other news, the Lawrence Journal World uncovers evidence of human cloning.

bevy 3 years, 11 months ago

I have a few comments on this.
1. I never shop before at least late November, unless I find a really good bargain. 2. I think there should be a LAW that states that you can't put up Christmas stuff before, say - Thanksgiving. Except for fabric/craft stores - you gotta start those projects a few months ahead. 3. I may have to start earlier this year now since times are tight and Layaway is coming back to Wal-Hell. Or I might just go to Kmart, where they always have layaway. Spread out the pain a little.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 11 months ago

Walmart's layaway is only going to be for electronics and furniture.

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

Cause' I'm a picker, I'm a grinner, I'm a lover, and I'm a sinner, playin' my music in the sun. I'm a joker, I'm a smoker, I'm a mid-night toker I sure don't want to hurt no one.

Well I'm really not a toker, I didn't inhale . . . . ;-)

(But I did toke a tire outa Kaw Motors late one night in '63. Emergency Midnight Requisition) Damn near didn't outrun them mean a$$ junkyard dogs.

Sorry Sonny, you were always good to me . . .

Deja Coffin 3 years, 11 months ago

That was my daughter's favorite song when she was 3. She would always say, "mommy play my boy song."

Richard Heckler 3 years, 11 months ago

When?

Whenever we something that would work. Who cares what month or day.

whats_going_on 3 years, 11 months ago

I just bought my first present for someone the other day, in fact.

classclown 3 years, 11 months ago

Next year I'm holding off until Dec 22nd. Then I'll probably have to go into mad dash mode.